Use of MoCA adapters - Need Feedback

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2021 1:04 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2008
474 posts
103 upvotes

Use of MoCA adapters - Need Feedback

Currently using Bell Fibe (Home Hub 3000) where the ISP modem sits in the basement.

Hoping to have a wired connection in my office room on second floor, but, there is no ethernet port. However, there is a coax cable coming into the room so i was hoping to leverage this by using MoCA adapters (shown as red-lines in the image)

Since HH 3000 does not have coax port, i will use the cat6 to connect to one of the Actiontec adapters and use that connection in my office room to convert it back from coax to cat6 to setup a wired connection to my pc.

Would this work? I was researching online and someone mentioned i need a coax splitter or need to terminate coax in the basement but not sure what they actually mean.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8224 posts
1866 upvotes
Looks like a plan.

Do you have phone jacks? You could repurpose those if they are cat5e.

Also, drilling from the basement to the exterior, and running a cable from the exterior up is another common technique.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1470 posts
431 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
This should work with no splitter or termination required (I use a similar setup). People saying you need either are most likely using the coax for cable TV at the same time
Dec 6, 2020
549 posts
546 upvotes
I'm not hugely familiar with MoCA, but as far as I'm aware you only need to mess around if you need to use coax that is connected to a cable TV system. If you have a piece of coax that's not connected to anything, I believe it's just a matter of connecting a MoCA interface to each end of the wire, as you have diagrammed.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22283 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
sharing my setup that I have - similar to yours.....I have the HH3000 in the basement and plenty of coxial cables throughout the house but no ethernet cabling............

I don't have TV services - only Internet....and it is FTTH from Bell.

I'm not using any splitters........

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14955 posts
1230 upvotes
Markham
ji2o0k wrote: sharing my setup that I have - similar to yours.....I have the HH3000 in the basement and plenty of coxial cables throughout the house but no ethernet cabling............

I don't have TV services - only Internet....and it is FTTH from Bell.

I'm not using any splitters........

What's your speed test results after one hop with those M9 meshes? I average around 200Mbps ugh...
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22283 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowVlican wrote: What's your speed test results after one hop with those M9 meshes? I average around 200Mbps ugh...
I only have 100/10 Mbps Bell services and getting 120+ / 12 on wired and wireless.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1837 posts
912 upvotes
Alberta
I have same setup and use the Actiontech MOCA adapters. I have the 750mbps FTTH service from Telus, below is the speed test over the MOCA adapter:

And this is a direct ethernet wired connection for comparison. All test done within 10 min of each other this morning. Something seems a bit off about my ethernet connection as I normally get like 750mbps each direction, but either way, it's plenty fast and that MOCA adapter does a very good job

Jun 18, 2008
447 posts
189 upvotes
Calgary
I have Actiontec MoCA setup for many years now. Once set up I forgot about them. Never needed attention nor reboot/reset. I get full speed of over 900Mb/s both ways.