Home & Garden

Use Silicone for concrete retaining wall?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2021 11:32 am
[OP]
Oct 16, 2013
236 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Use Silicone for concrete retaining wall?

Hi everyone,

New home owner here. One issue I have, that the home inspector pointed out, was that the top concrete blocks of a retaining wall are loose and could be a potential hazard.

I've removed these top-level concrete bricks for now, but the question is what do I use to "stick" them back on? I checked out Home Depot's site and found this, but not sure if this is the right solution for the job.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mono-s ... 1001001866

In case the links breaks, the product is a "MONO Silicone PRO Premium Silicone Concrete & Masonry Sealant Grey 290 ml" can with a nozzle. Only is that this product is completely out of stock, but shouldn't be too hard to find something comparable, I think.

I'm assuming I put the silicone on the 2nd level blocks, use a scraper to spread it, and then layer the top blocks. Is this the right way or is there a better/recommended approach?

Pic attached of the retaining wall below.

retainer_wall.png
7 replies
May 13, 2020
5 posts
14 upvotes
Is it's a low block wall use something like this - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lepage ... 1000479042

It's just a block adhesive, have used it in the past and works great. Just caulk a thick beads 2" away from from the front and put the other block on top.

Just be sure to clean the block of any dirt or dust before applying and make sure they're dry. 2-5 min work.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17211 posts
19108 upvotes
Oakville
Dkman9821 wrote: Is it's a low block wall use something like this - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lepage ... 1000479042

It's just a block adhesive, have used it in the past and works great. Just caulk a thick beads 2" away from from the front and put the other block on top.

Just be sure to clean the block of any dirt or dust before applying and make sure they're dry. 2-5 min work.
+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2013
236 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks, @Dkman9821. I'll give that a shot.
---
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in."
Nov 6, 2014
910 posts
1567 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
In addition to the advice above, I would strongly suggest either wire brushing both sides of the block or pressure washing them (and let dry) to remove loose dirt in an effort to get better adhesion.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2013
236 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Indeed! I picked up a brush today to make sure the blocks are clean before applying the adhesive. Thanks
---
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in."
Apr 14, 2009
278 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
PL600 in liberal amounts, once cured, it is like concrete mortar. Don't skimp though.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2013
236 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got it. Bought 4 of the 295ml cans. Hope that's enough.
---