• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2018 2:29 am
Tags:
Apr 26, 2006
215 posts
165 upvotes
Oakville

Used ATS or new Mazda3?

Have a minivan with 270K km, planning to buy a compact car soon, was interested in new Mazda3 and Golf, but a colleague mentioned used Cadillac ATS. It seems used 2014-2016 ATS are reasonable priced at 17k-23k depending on the conditions. Anybody experienced both ATS and Mazda3? I can DIY some maintenance and repairs.
92 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
eldiablo wrote: Mazda. Period.
Can you elaborate? Can't believe Mazda 3 wins over ATS, especially when he can do basic maintenance by himself.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Two totally different cars...
Apr 26, 2006
215 posts
165 upvotes
Oakville
eldiablo wrote: Mazda is a new car and comes with a full 3 year warranty in addition to a choice of additional coverage beyond the basic period/mileage.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/

I don't consider Cadillac a very reliable vehicle and being 4 years old..even less.
Thanks. ATS may have the same or better safety technology and interior even it is 3-4 years older? The turbo has 272HP and 260 torque.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Comparing a Japanese econobox to a luxury American car...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
Should I buy a lightly used BMW 3-series or a brand new Honda Civic?

You can't compare apples and oranges OP. 90% of RFD will tell you to get the Mazda, but do your own research on the specific model you want and do some test drives.

Also depends on how long you're planning to keep the car, as the Mazda will start rusting up after 3-4 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
alex_d10 wrote: Should I buy a lightly used BMW 3-series or a brand new Honda Civic?

You can't compare apples and oranges OP. 90% of RFD will tell you to get the Mazda, but do your own research on the specific model you want and do some test drives.

Also depends on how long you're planning to keep the car, as the Mazda will start rusting up after 3-4 years.
Fantastic, it will fall within warranty. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
What is with the influx of posts in this forum on absolutely ridiculous comparisons.

"I have a family of 12, so looking at a GMC Savana van, but really liked the styling of the Mitsubishi Mirage. What do?"
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
Mazda 3.. why go luxury when you can drive in a cheap car?

I lol’d when someone a while back was comparing lexus nx200t to a honda crv....

Next it will be corolla or a lexus rx350 should I buy as I like the payments on a corolla
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
I own an ATS and this POS is full of rattles. Especially my front passenger door. Two dealers tried fixing it without luck.

Also the ATS is gonna use a lot more gas (think 11.5-13L/100km in city) than a compact car and it takes premium gas (recommended).

Buy the Mazda.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on if you want luxury vs basic.
If luxury then look at an array of luxury vehicles.
If basic, look at an array or basic vehicles.
Obviously for the same money you will get brand new with warranty for basic vs have to settle for used luxury which may need repairs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Like others, I see this question as "should I buy new economy car or a used near-luxury car?"

I have owned several Mazdas and several Cadillacs and see little difference in reliability but huge differences in comfort, features, and performance. I would buy the ATS if it has at least two years left on the 4/80 b2b warranty, is AWD, and is cheaper than the out-the-door cost of the Mazda 3 model that would make you happy.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
IFU wrote: Thanks. ATS may have the same or better safety technology and interior even it is 3-4 years older? The turbo has 272HP and 260 torque.
..lol

what does that have to do with the original question? As george already mentioned the two vehicles are in a different class of vehicles but if we are strictly measuring the reliability and worry free operation of a brand new vehicle vs. the one which is 4 years old the argument is simple enough.
Last edited by eldiablo on Jan 28th, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
IFU wrote: Thanks. ATS may have the same or better safety technology and interior even it is 3-4 years older? The turbo has 272HP and 260 torque.
Does ATS have auto braking, blind spot monitoring, dynamic cruise control and rear cross traffic?
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11296 posts
6299 upvotes
Ontario
I'd go new op. You are looking for economical car and new Mazda 3 or Golf should do just that. Warranty to boot.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
4100 posts
2737 upvotes
Toronto
alex_d10 wrote: Should I buy a lightly used BMW 3-series or a brand new Honda Civic?

Please find me evidence of any Gen 2 or 3 Mazdas rusting

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)