• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2023 10:08 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2005
685 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto

Used Audi really selling at full price?

Looking at a 2020 Q7 being sold by an Audi dealer (CPO etc)

Listed for $75k last summer but the market was booming and everything was overpriced. They have had the car since June which is quite a while.

Current price is $69,400 and dealer won’t even budge $1. Says they will get full price for it. Sent me a report with comparable models showing that their price is right in the proper range for that year/mileage.

Problem is the report shows ASKING price not actual sale price.

Tried to reason with him but he says they will only take full asking price and not budge at all. Says they will sell it for that price.

Are cars really that hot and selling for full price? I told him I’m not interested. Will wait a week or two and see if they lower the price then I’ll buy it.

Can’t imagine anyone is buying a 2-3 year old Q7 right now and the market must be dead. Lots of these for sale all over the GTA (and this one is 4 hours away so they are in a much smaller market than Toronto). Anyone who wanted an SUV already bought it before winter, and SUV sales drop quite a bit when spring arrives I believe.

Just wondering what % off the asking price people are negotiating on similar cars, or is everyone actually paying full price?!?!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1298 posts
955 upvotes
TDot
BHA1 wrote: Looking at a 2020 Q7 being sold by an Audi dealer (CPO etc)

Listed for $75k last summer but the market was booming and everything was overpriced. They have had the car since June which is quite a while.

Current price is $69,400 and dealer won’t even budge $1. Says they will get full price for it. Sent me a report with comparable models showing that their price is right in the proper range for that year/mileage.

Tried to reason with him but he says they will only take full asking price and not budge at all. Says they will sell it for that price.

Are cars really that hot and selling for full price? I told him I’m not interested. Will wait a week or two and see if they lower the price then I’ll buy it.

Can’t imagine anyone is buying a 2-3 year old Q7 right now and the market must be dead. Lots of these for sale all over the GTA (and this one is 4 hours away so they are in a much smaller market than Toronto). Anyone who wanted an SUV already bought it before winter, and SUV sales drop quite a bit when spring arrives I believe.

Just wondering what % off the asking price people are negotiating on similar cars, or is everyone actually paying full price?!?!
What trim is it? Q7s can vary wildly if it's a base 4cyl vs a loaded Technk. These large German CUVs depreciate a TON, car shortage or not.

I remember looking at new and CPO X5s last summer and they were no discounts on them despite lots of inventory but at least the used ones were significantly less than new.
Oct 2, 2022
27 posts
73 upvotes
OP, it is only going to sell for that price if YOU pull the trigger. Run, don't walk . 2023 is going to be year of reconning for these greedy car dealers and real estate speculators.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2454 posts
3228 upvotes

Can’t imagine anyone is buying a 2-3 year old Q7 right now and the market must be dead.
You're looking and thinking about buying, probably not the only one.

The overall vehicle market is still tight on the supply-side, but interesting that they've held inventory for so long without lowering the price further - BUT - they may have overpaid on a trade-in.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2005
685 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
It’s a Technik. And a fully loaded one at that.

Found an almost exactly the same Technik nearby rather than four hours away. And it’s $3000 cheaper

Has 21” all season tires rather than 22” summer only. So I can always wear out the 21 all season and replace with snows. Then buy a nice set of 22” replicas with summer tires.

And it doesn’t have the black optics package which my wife doesn’t care about. Will be her car not mine.

Even with those differences I’m going to buy the 66k one out of spite because I think the 69k dealer is a ripoff. I might even send him the link so he can see what I bought and ask him if a car with $1000 more in options (NEW) is worth $3000 more used hahaha
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8095 posts
6684 upvotes
Ottawa

You might be dealing with a no-haggle dealership. If they see that they have to drop the advertised price to sell it, they will do so but this approach means that they will not lower the price during negotiations. I was actively in this market for most of 2022 and gave up on the Q7 months ago because of their "sticky" prices. I ended up pulling the trigger on something else and it was at a no-haggle dealership.

Good luck in your hunt.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2243 posts
2851 upvotes
Rural Kanata
What is reason for buying Q7?

Check out the Touareg.

Q7 is like the modern day Cadillac Cimarron.
Images
  • 52EB3500-0ECD-4D22-8550-37F70848CEDC.jpeg
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19713 posts
20201 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LordOfTheManor wrote: What is reason for buying Q7?

Check out the Touareg.

Q7 is like the modern day Cadillac Cimarron.
Why buy a Urus when one can buy a Touareg...
Oct 26, 2016
350 posts
422 upvotes
BHA1 wrote: It’s a Technik. And a fully loaded one at that.

Found an almost exactly the same Technik nearby rather than four hours away. And it’s $3000 cheaper

Has 21” all season tires rather than 22” summer only. So I can always wear out the 21 all season and replace with snows. Then buy a nice set of 22” replicas with summer tires.

And it doesn’t have the black optics package which my wife doesn’t care about. Will be her car not mine.

Even with those differences I’m going to buy the 66k one out of spite because I think the 69k dealer is a ripoff. I might even send him the link so he can see what I bought and ask him if a car with $1000 more in options (NEW) is worth $3000 more used hahaha
I don't exactly understand this, if you found almost the same car, close by and not 4 hours away, for 3k less, why are you still looking at the other one? The only thing you didn't mention was the mileage on the 69k Q7 vs the 66k one
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9652 posts
9184 upvotes
BHA1 wrote: Are cars really that hot and selling for full price? I told him I’m not interested. Will wait a week or two and see if they lower the price then I’ll buy it.
We are still in a market where dealers are still asking $60K for a $45K Hyundai.

If you don't need a car ASAP, wait for a bit and see how things shakes out but I don't think used car prices will drop much because:

New cars sold in Canada:
2018: 2M
2019: 2M
2020: 1.5M
2021: 1.6M
2022: 1.2M

So you can see there are way less used cars because there are way less new cars sold. There is 1M less used cars than normal from the last 5 years than usual. Now you see why car sales is such a shit show.

People are still waiting months for new cars, once that stops, used car prices will drop.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23584 posts
5778 upvotes
Toronto
cb8888 wrote: I don't exactly understand this, if you found almost the same car, close by and not 4 hours away, for 3k less, why are you still looking at the other one? The only thing you didn't mention was the mileage on the 69k Q7 vs the 66k one
Reading OP’s post, it sounds like he is going for the $66K one (not the $69K one) to show the $69K dealership.

Unless I’m reading incorrectly

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2243 posts
2851 upvotes
Rural Kanata
EP32k2 wrote: Why buy a Urus when one can buy a Touareg...
Better comparison would be an Audi RS Q8.

The way I look at Urus, it’s for low class people. It’s like driving a kit car Lambo.

If doors don’t go up, I’m not impressed.
Images
  • 266C1BC5-F2B8-44D5-B82C-CE94F1F3CAAE.jpeg
  • 5138AF5E-7782-4C86-8B76-A31F372CCD1F.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
Passed by an Audi dealership this weekend and saw a bunch of new cars in the lot. Let this Q7 marinate on the lot some more or let some "baller" buy it.

The chip shortage is over and with China opening up, the logistics and supply issues will be gone in about 6 months max. If you can afford to wait till then, this or some other Q7 will be a much better deal.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19713 posts
20201 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LordOfTheManor wrote: Better comparison would be an Audi RS Q8.

The way I look at Urus, it’s for low class people. It’s like driving a kit car Lambo.

If doors don’t go up, I’m not impressed.
LOL you're the best.

Why buy a Huracan, might as well get R8 amirite???
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4400 posts
1692 upvotes
Edmonton
BHA1 wrote: It’s a Technik. And a fully loaded one at that.

Yes you go buy one out of spite. Genius……
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2243 posts
2851 upvotes
Rural Kanata
EP32k2 wrote: LOL you're the best.

Why buy a Huracan, might as well get R8 amirite???
Would get C8 Corvette Z06.

The inside of the Huracan is an absolute disgrace. It is like a meme. Just over the top like it was built for children. Car definitely costs less to built than the Corvette, uses same heads as a VW Rabbit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5910 posts
5084 upvotes
Oakville, ON

First, Lenders got into the Statistics game with Credit Scoring Models to determine who to decline, who to grant credit and at what rate. The Billy Bean and the Oakland A’s kicked off the current trend in Sports using Stats and “Analytics” to decide who to sign to a contract and how much to pay them and things have progressed to the point where they also use to decide line-ups and plays in certain conditions.

Car Dealers are now jumping onto the bandwagon too by using market analytics to set their pricing, especially on used vehicles. There’s software vendors that have programs that gather and analyze vehicle listing data and auction price data and then spit out a price to set for a given vehicle. The only thing the Sales Manager does is to determine where they want to play in the market at - be a premium priced at top of market, be a median price in the middle market, or be a volume priced at the lower end of the market. When they acquire a vehicle to resell, they enter the data and the system tells them the price to set. It’s quite common in USA and is making its way here too.

It’s probably the above, but I can’t rule an old-school gut price approach either. Either way, they’ve signalled their philosophy so unless you’re willing to pay up now you’ll have to take your chances on the wait and see approach you’ve suggested. Keep your eye on it and cross your fingers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)