• Jun 6th, 2016 5:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
56 posts
15 upvotes

Used car advice for young male - Budget = $22k-32k

Hey there I wanted to get some advice in terms of cars. I'm a young male who's looking for a car that will stand out - this will be my daily driver so I need a car that can be driven in snow as well. I drive approximately 6,000km a year so fuel economy isn't a huge concern. The cars I've been considering are:

1. 2012- 2013 Infinity G37X Coupe (with sports trim)
2. 2013 Audi A5 S-line
3. 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD
4. 2012-2013 Mercedes E350 Coupe (4matic)

Cons for each:

Infiniti G37X- The shapes been on the road since 2003. Do people still notice these on the road?

Audi A5- People have been telling me to avoid getting the Audi since if I buy it used it may already have up to 70k on it. People have been telling me they don't last long - I plan on selling the car I get after 4-5 years.

Lexus IS250- The Lexus looks nice but I feel like it's not wide enough for my liking.

Mercedes E350 - The price is pretty high for a car that is 4 years old. Do you guys think it is worth it?

If you guys have any other suggestions please share them. Do keep in mind that I want something that chicks will notice (So no wrx unfortunately)
64 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
bro, corolla that is beige.

put that left over money into a RFD-ETF.

PROFIT
Jan 31, 2004
989 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Can you stretch your budget a little bit and get a base 2016 Acura NSX?
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
56 posts
15 upvotes
macro6 wrote: Can you stretch your budget a little bit and get a base 2016 Acura NSX?
I'd have to rob a bank first
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
293 upvotes
Since you're young you want something sexy, fast and still reliable

Brand New Nissan 370z manual is better looking and faster than G37. I hate manuals so I wouldn't get it but if you don't mind manuals it's a good choice

Lexus IS250 is good looking, classy but it's slower than Accord and Camry V6 so you won't win drag races and old people will beat you on highways etc. Probably the most reliable choice but your not gonna keep a car that long nor you would drive much

Audi A5 and Benz e350 are money pits and Accord V6 will smoke them both. You'd rather get Genesis Coupe 3.8 R spec

Totally agree about WRX, no chick would be impressed with that one, and the new Automatic ones are slower than Accord V6 in a quarter mile

Definitely stay away from Corolla. Corolla is for mature people who can ignore the idiots on road. With Corolla you could block faster cars in left lane and that can be fun because it pisses off a lot of people lolz
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45439 posts
8453 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
How old are you?
I'm not sure if you're rich or not… or have parents paying the bill… But even if you are rich… The cost of insuring a newer luxury vehicle for a young man in his teens or 20's can be pretty harsh!

What about a beater first car that you can trash until your insurance goes down?
I drove a 94 Toyota Corolla for 1.5 years before getting a Lexus. My insurance rates went down nicely within that time…
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
56 posts
15 upvotes
Spyd3r wrote: Since you're young you want something sexy, fast and still reliable

Brand New Nissan 370z manual is better looking and faster than G37. I hate manuals so I wouldn't get it but if you don't mind manuals it's a good choice

Lexus IS250 is good looking, classy but it's slower than Accord and Camry V6 so you won't win drag races and old people will beat you on highways etc. Probably the most reliable choice but your not gonna keep a car that long nor you would drive much

Audi A5 and Benz e350 are money pits and Accord V6 will smoke them both. You'd rather get Genesis Coupe 3.8 R spec

Totally agree about WRX, no chick would be impressed with that one, and the new Automatic ones are slower than Accord V6 in a quarter mile

Definitely stay away from Corolla. Corolla is for mature people who can ignore the idiots on road. With Corolla you could block faster cars in left lane and that can be fun because it pisses off a lot of people lolz
Thank you for the great reply! I did consider the 370z but it's only RWD I'm looking for something I can drive all year around
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
He is looking for a car that will at least somewhat stand out and an Accord V6 is not going to stand out in any way, shape, or form. Regardless of how fast it is to 60.

How many kms would you want to have on your car if you buy used?
May 5, 2016
425 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
The cars you listed don't even stand out ...

VW Phaeton
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
56 posts
15 upvotes
rsang39 wrote: He is looking for a car that will at least somewhat stand out and an Accord V6 is not going to stand out in any way, shape, or form. Regardless of how fast it is to 60.

How many kms would you want to have on your car if you buy used?
Max I would go is about 80k but it just depends on the car tbh. Need something reliable that I won't have too much trouble selling after 4-5 years
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
Lexus IS250 AWD is the safest choice, good reliability and resale. However the biggest downside is that it's painfully slow.

If you want to venture German, you could try getting a used 335xi or possibly B8 Audi S4 if you want to get into the faster cars with AWD, but then again you could also just get a G37x. Seeing as how you won't be driving that many kms nor will you have it for many years, I wouldn't automatically rule out a used German car. It all depends on who you buy from, at what price, and if it was well maintained. The Audi A5s are going for a pretty good rate and some that I see only have 50-60,000kms on them. They're pretty good cars and won't cause you any issues with the exception of the high oil consumption that the 2011's may have had. That issue was pretty much resolved for 2012. Again though, the A5 isn't necessarily a fast car, but it's good enough for daily use.

This one for example, is in Ottawa but only has 50,000kms and is fully loaded.
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A5/Ott ... p=22_15_84
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
56 posts
15 upvotes
I was just checking out the 2014 IS350. It seems to be going for $38k+ however according to VMR it should be around $32k-$36k. I've never really bought a car from a dealer before so typically how much are they willing to budge price wise. Do you guys think I would be able to get a 2014 IS350 F-Sport AWD with max 60k mileage for under $34k?
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
293 upvotes
G37x is pretty good in snow. Rear view looks nice, front view is just alright. It's only 0.2 seconds faster than Accord V6 so I wouldn't get it

Just get a 2011 to 2013 BMW 335 Xi. Look for a well maintained one. See if you could get extended warranty and maintenance package, would be a nice fun fast car that will stand out

I'd rather spend little more and get 335xi over G37x. You would love 335xi.

2008 to 2009 Lexus ISf is pretty nice, RWD but with snow tires it will be fine
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5286 posts
3765 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
IMO, you're young so you should go for cars with less depreciation. See if you can find a nice Acura Integra Type R. That car will stand out and prices are rising. BMW E46 M3 in manual is pretty nice too, just make sure subframe is reinforced. Acura TL-S too.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1492 posts
361 upvotes
All those cars are basic. I can look out my window and see a bunch of Audis, Lexus, and BMW'ers. It's been done, you're not blowing anyone away.

Brah, you've been told. Biege Corolla, a try RFD baller rolls with this. RFD fun fact for today: If you google "Biege Corolla" the third suggestion is "Biege Corolla rfd" :D :razz:
Aug 15, 2014
537 posts
171 upvotes
Newmarket
Spend the extra money on a IS350, you'll be pleased with the extra hp...this is coming from someone who owns both a IS 250&350
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes
SIMRFD wrote: Hey there I wanted to get some advice in terms of cars. I'm a young male who's looking for a car that will stand out - this will be my daily driver so I need a car that can be driven in snow as well. I drive approximately 6,000km a year so fuel economy isn't a huge concern. The cars I've been considering are:

1. 2012- 2013 Infinity G37X Coupe (with sports trim)
2. 2013 Audi A5 S-line
3. 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD
4. 2012-2013 Mercedes E350 Coupe (4matic)

Cons for each:

Infiniti G37X- The shapes been on the road since 2003. Do people still notice these on the road?

Audi A5- People have been telling me to avoid getting the Audi since if I buy it used it may already have up to 70k on it. People have been telling me they don't last long - I plan on selling the car I get after 4-5 years.

Lexus IS250- The Lexus looks nice but I feel like it's not wide enough for my liking.

Mercedes E350 - The price is pretty high for a car that is 4 years old. Do you guys think it is worth it?

If you guys have any other suggestions please share them. Do keep in mind that I want something that chicks will notice (So no wrx unfortunately)

all the cars you listed are garbage except the lexus. they are all gas guzzlers and major maintanece headaches. good luck with a mercedes, 1 thing goes wrong you're looking at minimum $500. lol. Infiniti's are ok, but again they are gas guzzlers

and if ur buying a car that "chicks will notice", you're gonna be disappointed. i've had cars that are super nice and expensive and not even 1 girl ever said anything about it in 2 years of driving. when i talk about "chicks will notice" i'm talking about random girls giving compliments about a car. not a female friend who says u have a nice car. so good luck with that.
when is there even time for a girl to notice ur car and say something? when ur driving they cant cus their busy driving. the only time might be in a mall parking lot which i've never had in 2 years of driving. unless ur getting a super car like lamborghini, dont expect it buddy

if u have 22k to spend i'd get a lexus LS