Automotive

Are used car dealers required to have the UVIP?

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 2:57 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote

Are used car dealers required to have the UVIP?

In Ontario, are used car dealers required to have the Used Vehicle Information Package for the used cars they are selling? This package contains info regarding whether the title is clean and if there are no liens on the vehicle, right? Or how can I otherwise know if the vehicle is ok? Can I simply trust the dealer if they are a member of OMVIC?
5 replies
Jun 24, 2016
333 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
Dealer won’t provide UVIP but you can request one or get the VIN and get the UVIP from DOT.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Dealer can't legally sell it with a lien. What do you mean if a vehicle is "ok"? Do you mean the title is good in that it's not stolen or has a lien? Or are you talking mechanical condition? A mechanic is needed to check the car out and don't rely on the shops mechanic (or a safety test) to take care of any issues with the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1286 posts
978 upvotes
HAMILTON
No, dealers are not obligated to supply a UVIP. Many will provide a Car Fax but.................

UVIP is something reserved for private used vehicle sales.

As stated, you can get the VIN and go to Service Ontario to purchase a UVIP for $25 ?? if you want to but the cost is yours.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
fusion2k2k wrote: Dealer can't legally sell it with a lien. What do you mean if a vehicle is "ok"? Do you mean the title is good in that it's not stolen or has a lien? Or are you talking mechanical condition? A mechanic is needed to check the car out and don't rely on the shops mechanic (or a safety test) to take care of any issues with the vehicle.
Yes, I meant "ok" if the vehicle isn't stolen or has a lien. I would have someone check it out for me mechanically.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
LaurieTS wrote: Yes, I meant "ok" if the vehicle isn't stolen or has a lien. I would have someone check it out for me mechanically.
Assuming they are a registered dealer with OMVIC (IIRC they legally have to be), they wouldn't be allowed to. And if they did, you would have recourse, up to $40,000 I believe.