• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 12:24 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Used car prices about to rise?

Carrentalcos are buying up used cars to replensh ther fleets as they can't get their hands on new cars. I guess it may be fortunate that it's more difficult, impossible or just potentially costlier to buy and send the cars south.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... gets-worse
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
48 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Kiraly wrote: I had to read that three times. At first I thought it was some Mexican food delivery service.
Sounds delicious. I was getting Italian first, but also see your Mexican in it. - took me a couple reads too.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
I suddenly have a hankering for tacos.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3995 upvotes
GTA
I thought it was a Mexican gang buying up used cars.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
DaveTheDude wrote: I thought it was a Mexican gang buying up used cars.
Don't the gangs just "steal" the USE of them from the factory, then load em up spiced with meth and send them north? LOL
Jul 29, 2019
909 posts
788 upvotes
I would think so. Given auto manufacturers are facing shortages for many items, primarily the chips from the semiconductor space and the economy and demand are coming back up for rental car companies, we may see more rental car companies buying used cars to fulfill customer demand. Those in the technology space will already know that we are unlikely to see the semiconductor situation improve by the end of the year.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
As far as I know everything has been going up in price, maybe it is just general inflation due to the mass printing of money by every single government? Yes, I'm aware supply chain disruption is also contributing to the shortages of goods and price hikes.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Been going up in price since Covid started.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
mxthor3 wrote: Been going up in price since Covid started.
Hm.... If I recall correctly, there's a bunch of folks that said fire sales and those that said otherwise were carsales folk.

lmao
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3349 posts
555 upvotes
koffey wrote: Hm.... If I recall correctly, there's a bunch of folks that said fire sales and those that said otherwise were carsales folk.

lmao
I keep an eye on the used car market generally, and there was a big swing upwards for smaller, fuel efficient vehicles when covid began. My econobox jumped over $1500 in value (if I were to sell it or buy the same one). It was crazy. I'm seeing prices start to go back down, but they're still pretty high compared to 2019.
Feb 8, 2010
626 posts
574 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: I keep an eye on the used car market generally, and there was a big swing upwards for smaller, fuel efficient vehicles when covid began. My econobox jumped over $1500 in value (if I were to sell it or buy the same one). It was crazy. I'm seeing prices start to go back down, but they're still pretty high compared to 2019.
Now it is the higher-end cars in demand, and price hike across the board.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13093 upvotes
https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/new ... ovid-cases

On top of parts storage, COVID is wrecking supply lines for Cambridge.
koffey wrote: Hm.... If I recall correctly, there's a bunch of folks that said fire sales and those that said otherwise were carsales folk.

lmao
Well truth be told, I kinda knew demand will be up and price will inflate due to QE. But never thought chip shortage and COVID labor disruption will add fuel to that fire.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business ... index.html
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I guess those who have leases expiring sometime this year (early better than later) may be in the money if they buy out,
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Xtrema wrote: https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/new ... ovid-cases

On top of parts storage, COVID is wrecking supply lines for Cambridge.

Well truth be told, I kinda knew demand will be up and price will inflate due to QE. But never thought chip shortage and COVID labor disruption will add fuel to that fire.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business ... index.html
Used minivan prices are up due to demand for online shopping delivery.

Local car supermarket is asking $29 - $30k for 2019 Grand Caravans with 25k to 50k km.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12894 posts
13093 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I guess those who have leases expiring sometime this year (early better than later) may be in the money if they buy out,
Or anyone got a new car in 2020/21. The resale would be higher then normal due to low sales and higher MSRP on newer cars.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
mxthor3 wrote: Been going up in price since Covid started.
+1
my car i bought last May i can sell for about the same today
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
What are you using to gauge market price? Autotrader?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
I am shocked right now because I would have never believed this to happen, even to 'high' end cars. I was looking at Autotrader just now at various flagship German sedans and the depreciation didn't blow my socks off as it usually does.

This is *insane*.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON

lmao
I remember those posts, lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)