Automotive

Used car Toyota Camry hybrid (2012-2015) is it any good?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2018 9:46 am
[OP]
Nov 29, 2005
418 posts
55 upvotes

Used car Toyota Camry hybrid (2012-2015) is it any good?

used to have a Corolla and like the reliability and the minimal and cheap maintenance of the Toyota brand.

Now looking into getting a used car and doing some research, wondering if Toyota Camry hybrid (2012-2015) price range of under $15k-$20k is it a good choice?

what I have gathered so far it seems like a great reliable car, just wondering if anything that I have not considered that I need to be aware of before purchase.
Like the battery, Recall and other stuff that I am not aware of yet.

Any feedback, recommendation, and opinions that are useful are welcome. Thanks
:)
7 replies
Oct 4, 2010
876 posts
481 upvotes
Surrey
consider cost of replacing battery if it's time yet
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19673 posts
20110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you’re looking for an A 2 B appliance, it’s perfect. Much better than a silly CUV.
Nov 18, 2017
90 posts
49 upvotes
just go with 2014+ Corolla.

solid, reliable, leg room & trunk space. The fuel economy vs camry hybrid is minimal. Lower cost of ownership
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3684 upvotes
Ontario
matrixfwd wrote: consider cost of replacing battery if it's time yet
There is no "time" to change a battery like there is a time to change transmission fluid.
Jun 12, 2016
699 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
We purchased a used 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE last June and we are very happy with it so far. I would recommend test driving one yourself to see if you like the drive of the car. I was pleasantly surprised with the power on the hybrid version. I think that for a mid size sedan, it handles pretty good- not for racing or anything, but it takes the corners pretty well without too much body roll. Surprisingly, it makes this boring car rather fun to drive. Mileage wise, I'm getting real world mileage of around 7.7L/100 according to an App I use to track mileage. I'm not light on the accelerator and use the highway 40% of the time just to give a perspective. There's a lot of room inside and plenty enough in the trunk. The only bad thing for some people is that the seats (I don't think) folds down due to the battery pack location just behind the back seats.

I'm not concerned about the battery since most of the articles I've read suggests that the battery will outlast the life of the car. Our Camry only had 65,000 kms when we bought it so I'm hoping we can keep it for another 10+ years. In terms of maintenance, I've only done a few oil changes so far and I don't anticipate that this car will require much more maintenance than a regular Camry. This is our second Toyota that we own and our Venza is relatively reliable since purchased new in 2009. Hope that helps a bit with your question.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LauD14 wrote: We purchased a used 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE last June and we are very happy with it so far. I would recommend test driving one yourself to see if you like the drive of the car. I was pleasantly surprised with the power on the hybrid version. I think that for a mid size sedan, it handles pretty good- not for racing or anything, but it takes the corners pretty well without too much body roll.
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Everything is relative.

Just curious, what car did you have before that handles worse than a Camry?
Jun 12, 2016
699 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
er34er34 wrote: Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Everything is relative.

Just curious, what car did you have before that handles worse than a Camry?
Yes, I agree that experiences are relative to what they've used in the past. This is obviously just my opinion and the OP can take it with a grain of salt. I doubt anyone who is in the market for high end sports cars would consider a Camry to start with. I was not actually comparing the ride to anything specific, but for the size of the car, I was expecting worse in terms of its agility. My first impression before driving the Camry was that it would be wobbly and clumsy because of the "family" car label that people have come to associate the car with. I can say that it is more fun to drive the Camry then the Venza (4 cylinder).