[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4743 posts
840 upvotes
Montreal

Used Compact SUV Suggestion for $15k-$20k

Hi everyone,

I currently drive a 2005 Camry LX in QC so I am not looking for anything fancy nor sporty but I would like to upgrade to a dependable SUV that will offer the following:

1) Reliability (I am not a handy guy)
2) Safety
3) Rear windshield wiper (must be nice for driving at night in the rain/snow)
4) Heated front seats (girlfriend wants this)

Nice to have for street side parking:
5) AWD (for higher center of gravity and the icy Quebec roads but I've managed with underpowered Camry with FWD all this years)
6) Rear back up camera (no SUV is longer than my Camry for parking purposes)

My budget is below $17,300 before taxes or $20,000 all in but I heard dealers would be more willing to move inventory in January.

If interest rate on used vehicles is too high, I could always pay cash. Obviously the cheaper the better as long as I don't compromise on reliability and safety.

Update:
I narrowed it down too the following but do feel free to make your suggestion:
CR-V: too many engine troubles since 2014 + high insurance?
RAV4: reliable but high insurance?
Santa Fe/Tucson: Exterior looks great but the dashboard looks too busy.
Sportage: no back up camera?
Equinox: looks too perfect on Carcomplaints.com? Maybe a bit too long
Escape: looks very reliable for 2015 and 2016. Is this best combo for reliability, safety and low insurance?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by cn_habs on Jan 19th, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3449 posts
818 upvotes
Home
I'm pretty sure CR-V will be mentioned.
Koodo $40 6GB
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:01 pm
Thanks. I am not sure how reliable this site is but it doesn't look too reliable here: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Rogue/
Thing is people go on the internet to complain. Rarely do people go on the internet the write up positive reviews. Also those surveys most of the time are done online so older folks dont reply...I.e Lexus, Buick owners. I have a Ford F150 that has been very reliable. Yet a lot of complains were about the Sync System so it lost some points .Like honestly really? I couldnt careless about the infotainement system. As long as the drivetrain is good Im all good.
Mar 24, 2016
562 posts
497 upvotes
scarborough
estevens wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 2:13 pm
Thing is people go on the internet to complain. Rarely do people go on the internet the write up positive reviews. Also those surveys most of the time are done online so older folks dont reply...I.e Lexus, Buick owners. I have a Ford F150 that has been very reliable. Yet a lot of complains were about the Sync System so it lost some points .Like honestly really? I couldnt careless about the infotainement system. As long as the drivetrain is good Im all good.
i have an 2013 f150 with sync which one in a while goes flaky. However the truck is amazing. However with the Nissan rouge (which is stylish and functional) has issues with the cvt transmissions. Were talking about different issues here. Cost to repair is different. A flaky sync stereo system you may live with but a car with tranny problems you cant drive. Very expensive to repair. I would buy an Nissan in a heartbeat if it had automatic transmission instead of cvt.

Anyways for what its worth thats my option
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5414 posts
2532 upvotes
Winnipeg
santa fe or sorento
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4743 posts
840 upvotes
Montreal
Wpegger wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 9:57 pm
santa fe or sorento
Have you had one of those? Isn't the Santa FE or Sorento a bit bigger and longer than the Tucson/Sportage/RAV4/CR-V?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1719 posts
422 upvotes
TORONTO
V6 Dodge Journey AWD any year after 2011 (With the V6 Pentastar)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5414 posts
2532 upvotes
Winnipeg
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 10:00 pm
Have you had one of those? Isn't the Santa FE or Sorento a bit bigger and longer than the Tucson/Sportage/RAV4/CR-V?
I have Santa Fe. yes it is bigger than Tuscon.
I found Tuscon was bit cramped. At least here with MPI, insurance is about 500$ cheaper per year for Santa fe (than RAV4 and CRV).
In fact, it appears to be the cheapest SUV to insure.
Sep 20, 2010
22 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
CX5 but just make sure to rustproof the shit out of it.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12316 posts
12242 upvotes
Oakville
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:21 pm
Hi everyone,

I currently drive a 2005 Camry LX in QC so I am not looking for anything fancy nor sporty but I would like to upgrade to a dependable SUV that will offer the following:

1) Reliability (I am not a handy guy)
2) Safety
3) Rear windshield wiper (must be nice for driving at night in the rain/snow)
4) Heated front seats (girlfriend wants this)

Nice to have but not end of the world:
5) AWD (for higher center of gravity and the icy Quebec roads but I've managed with underpowered Camry with FWD all this years)
6) Rear back up camera (no SUV is longer than my Camry for parking purposes)

My budget is below $17,300 before taxes or $20,000 all in but I heard dealers would be more willing to move inventory in January.

If interest rate on used vehicles is too high, I could always pay cash. Obviously the cheaper the better as long as I don't compromise on reliability and safety.

I narrowed it down too the following but do feel free to make your suggestion:
CR-V: avoid 2015 refresh?
RAV4: ?
Tucson: avoid 2016?
Sportage: ?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Do you really need a CUV? The only item that is CUV related is #5, and a higher centre of gravity is a bad feature in all cases. Maybe you mean ground clearance?
A Subaru Impreza (sedan or hatch) would suit all of your needs, unless you need extra ground clearance for off-roading. A CUV will typically cost you more than a comparable car.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 11:12 pm
Do you really need a CUV? The only item that is CUV related is #5, and a higher centre of gravity is a bad feature in all cases. Maybe you mean ground clearance?
A Subaru Impreza (sedan or hatch) would suit all of your needs, unless you need extra ground clearance for off-roading. A CUV will typically cost you more than a comparable car.
Crosstrek solves number 5
To OP I live in QC as well and the roads are no worst then the rest of Canada and we do get the same snow amount as Ottawa Toronto.....Don't need an SUV to get by. However I usually take my pick up truck in Montreal since the parking is more difficult with the way the snow is removed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4743 posts
840 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 11:12 pm
estevens wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:01 am
Crosstrek solves number 5
To OP I live in QC as well and the roads are no worst then the rest of Canada and we do get the same snow amount as Ottawa Toronto.....Don't need an SUV to get by. However I usually take my pick up truck in Montreal since the parking is more difficult with the way the snow is removed.
Isn't the higher sitting position more comfortable? Having higher ground clearance will help me get out of snow and save me time as I park in the street here in a crowded residential neighbourhood in MTL.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 5:22 pm
Isn't the higher sitting position more comfortable? Having higher ground clearance will help me get out of snow and save me time as I park in the street here in a crowded residential neighbourhood in MTL.
I'm more of a car guy and find cars more comfortable btw