• Dec 25th, 2022 2:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 30, 2019
22 posts
12 upvotes

Used Lexus RX350

Hi Guys,

I'm a first car buyer and I'm strongly considering the Lexus RX350 and wanted to know what a used 2020 model would cost in today's market. I'm open to the 2021 model as well, but I really don't want to put down a lot of money in buying a new car at this point (at least, not before I buy a house).

In addition, does it make sense getting a rebuilt version of this car and model?

Please any advise and pointers are very welcome!
45 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32089 posts
19313 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you want to buy a rebuilt? If you must, ask your insurance first if they would provide coverage first, then have the car inspected fully to see the rebuilt is conform to factory specs.
Mar 30, 2007
479 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
dont buy rebuilt. dont buy RX350, its one of the most stolen cars currently. It will be gone from your driveway before you learn how to open the trunk.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3057 posts
3443 upvotes
GTA
You might find that you only save $5K to $10K buying a 2021 vs. new. Plus give up half your warranty and the 2021 getting closer to new tires or brakes. Although you may prefer the 6 cylinder 2021 model vs the new 4 banger turbo 2023. Either year is a great car but only buy if you have a garage you can park in.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17033 posts
12435 upvotes
Toronto
processor01 wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm a first car buyer and I'm strongly considering the Lexus RX350 and wanted to know what a used 2020 model would cost in today's market. I'm open to the 2021 model as well, but I really don't want to put down a lot of money in buying a new car at this point (at least, not before I buy a house).

In addition, does it make sense getting a rebuilt version of this car and model?

Please any advise and pointers are very welcome!
Considering they can come with $30-40K worth of options, it will vary greatly.

And say no to rebuilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1584 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t get this suv unless you want to buy another car again cause it gets stolen easily

You don’t have a house so there is no secure parking spot like your own garage, and no condo garage is not secure as the car is still accessible for someone to come and just drive off with a replicates fob signal

But your money at end of day…you can do a lot better as a first time car buyer…why you want this top 10 stolen suv?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9495 posts
2371 upvotes
I wonder what the insurance is on the RX given how crazily targeted currently by thieves.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Sep 30, 2019
22 posts
12 upvotes
BoredAtWork wrote: Don’t get this suv unless you want to buy another car again cause it gets stolen easily

You don’t have a house so there is no secure parking spot like your own garage, and no condo garage is not secure as the car is still accessible for someone to come and just drive off with a replicates fob signal

But your money at end of day…you can do a lot better as a first time car buyer…why you want this top 10 stolen suv?
What SUV would you recommend over the RX350? The Rav4 would have been a great choice, but I find it a bit too bland and boring to drive/own.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1299 posts
955 upvotes
TDot
processor01 wrote: What SUV would you recommend over the RX350? The Rav4 would have been a great choice, but I find it a bit too bland and boring to drive/own.
Have you test drove an RX? They're bulletproof and comfortable but bland and boring are probably what most people would associate with them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7264 posts
9350 upvotes
Scarbs
What about a Venza? IIRC, it's pretty much the same car minus some of the luxury features.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1584 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
processor01 wrote: What SUV would you recommend over the RX350? The Rav4 would have been a great choice, but I find it a bit too bland and boring to drive/own.
Depends what you are looking for and any brands you are opposed to in general.

Everyone can reco anything but share your needs and want to narrow down the list, like why an SUV and not a wagon or van? Why not sedan?

But yea like someone else said it’s boring to drive based once you try it and insurance is crazy as was the deductible required
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
IndusVally wrote: Have you test drove an RX? They're bulletproof and comfortable but bland and boring are probably what most people would associate with them.
This…..father-in-law had a 2015 RX350 and it was boring af….

Comfy soft ride but boring. He got rid of it after a yr or so….

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Sep 30, 2019
22 posts
12 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: What about a Venza? IIRC, it's pretty much the same car minus some of the luxury features.
I don't like the look of the Venza and I would prefer an SUV, not a crossover.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2019
22 posts
12 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: This…..father-in-law had a 2015 RX350 and it was boring af….

Comfy soft ride but boring. He got rid of it after a yr or so….
Mind sharing what he bought as a replacement?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
processor01 wrote: Mind sharing what he bought as a replacement?
First he bought a Ford F-150, had fun with the power and how high he was above everyone else but now he’s settled on a Ford Explorer sport trim for the last few years…

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Sep 30, 2019
22 posts
12 upvotes
BoredAtWork wrote: Depends what you are looking for and any brands you are opposed to in general.

Everyone can reco anything but share your needs and want to narrow down the list, like why an SUV and not a wagon or van? Why not sedan?

But yea like someone else said it’s boring to drive based once you try it and insurance is crazy as was the deductible required
I am not necessarily opposed to any brands - I personally do not want to spend more than $40,000 on a Vehicle that would depreciate over the years.

My need for an SUV is mainly a forward-looking approach - my family size is growing, I plan to move off-grid in the near future, plus my wife hates sedans because it's too low for her and causes aches when she's trying to get into the car.

Could you please recommend an option that has a decent reliability, comfort and ride?
Oct 8, 2019
275 posts
127 upvotes
I compared rx350 + highlander + mdx..

Went with a 2023 mdx and love it. Not sure what slightly older models sell for but the 2023 is 7 seater with option to convert to 6 seater. Was the most spacious inside and looks amazing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Pretty much every one in existence? Okay maybe not Hyundai unless you like fires lol, but everything else. Comparing one Toyblowta to another is not really much of a comparison. Compare to a real car brand and it's gonna be night and day. Plus probably won't get stolen either.

Also I'm not sure who would be seeking out a rebuilt title car only a year or two old? This is a really bad idea unless you're like trying to find one that's wrecked/damaged and fix it up yourself, like Samcrac style. But I'd imagine if you were going to do that you'd already know where to look for and how to buy such vehicles. For a "regular person" and a daily driver car, this is just asking for trouble.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2803 posts
2909 upvotes
processor01 wrote: I am not necessarily opposed to any brands - I personally do not want to spend more than $40,000 on a Vehicle that would depreciate over the years.

My need for an SUV is mainly a forward-looking approach - my family size is growing, I plan to move off-grid in the near future, plus my wife hates sedans because it's too low for her and causes aches when she's trying to get into the car.

Could you please recommend an option that has a decent reliability, comfort and ride?
Here is a perfect SUV (truck) that I doubt anyone would steal. Excellent ride comfort. A work colleague owns the 2013 and absolutes loves. Not cheap on gas but big enough for safety. I have been in it a few times and it towers over the small SUV/cars. The 5.3L V8 engine will last if you maintain it.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/a ... &modalXS=1