Shopping Discussion

Used phone: would buying from a store protect me against blacklisted IMEI?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 12:20 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2005
40 posts
29 upvotes

Used phone: would buying from a store protect me against blacklisted IMEI?

The consensus here is that buying a used phone off someone on Kijiji is never totally safe, because you're always exposed to the risk that the seller will later report the IMEI as stolen, your phone will be blacklisted, and phone companies will do nothing to help you.

There are stores that sell used phones. What if I got a written replacement guarantee if the IMEI later gets blacklisted? Has anyone had experience with something like this?

(I just lost my Google Pixel 2 XL and both the 3 XL and 3a XL have serious downsides. I'd rather get another 2 XL and the only non-used source I see is $799 at Fido—ouch.)
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4905 posts
2136 upvotes
Vancity
It's probably safe to buy it from a store that has been around for a while. If you get a written agreement, then you have something to stand on if you were to go to small claims court.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37769 posts
23850 upvotes
Center of Universe
Check out the BST section.
You can trust most RFD sellers that have a good history.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Check out the BST section.
You can trust most RFD sellers that have a good history.
How do you determine what "most" is.
Or what if someone with a good history all of a sudden decides they like money more?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37769 posts
23850 upvotes
Center of Universe
death_hawk wrote: How do you determine what "most" is.
Or what if someone with a good history all of a sudden decides they like money more?
There's always that possibility.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3139 posts
4080 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Buy it from kijiji, off a person who has been on kijiji for a while, provides a real phone number, and meet at their house. Make sure they have the box and accessories too. That's the only way I'd trust a kijiji sale for a high priced item.
😎Thanks RFD😎