• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 6:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes

Used Porsche questions

Hi guys,

Im fairly new to this forum and already found lots of useful informations. I did a bit research but haven't really find my answers and I'd love to hear from you guys.

Here's a thing:

My friend is selling his 2015 Porsche Cayanee S-E hybird car with plenty of options, with only 29000km . He is giving me a discount and selling the car for $52k, I do love the color and options so seriously thinking buying this car.

However, he didn't purchase any extended warranty from porsche, I am a bit concerned. The original factory warranty has just expired a few month ago.
It is a well mainanced car for sure, he took care of it very well and no addcident not even a scartch.

So my questions are:
1. It is a bad idea to buy a 4-year old hybird car? especially a Plug-in Hybird. I heard different stories regarding how expensive and difficult to repair a hybird car if there were any issues. That being said this car has very low mileage and in very well condition.

2. I know porsche's extended warranty is prob going to be very expensive, would you guys recomand any after-market extended warranty? or should I stick with porsche

3. worst comes to worst, my friend mentioned this US used parts website that you can buy various of different parts and ship to canada, all you need to do is to find a local shop that you like and ask them to do the replacement, to reduce the cost of course. I have no experience on this and would like to hear how you guys think.

Any advices or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
Last edited by phantoms on May 22nd, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
If you're worried about costs, run away. Porsche's are already one of the most expensive to maintain vehicles, being a hybrid will make it even more expensive. How well do you know this friend? There's a good chance you could end up hating him.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28606 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
1. No extended warranty ? Better set aside lots of rainy day funds. I say $3,000 per yr is the min.

2. You cannot get Porsche extended warranty now. Only orig. owner or buying a cpo car from Porsche dealer is the only way.

3. You will save a little bit of $ by buying from US. I would say about 5-10% at most in savings after factoring duties, shipping, currency exchange

$52k for a 5 yrs old suv does not sound like a great deal to me. Last gen Cayenne dropped like a rock in value since the new gen has been out for well over 1 yr now
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: If you're worried about costs, run away. Porsche's are already one of the most expensive to maintain vehicles, being a hybrid will make it even more expensive. How well do you know this friend? There's a good chance you could end up hating him.
What do you mean Porsche is one of the most expensive to maintain? It’s all relative, Porsche is a top tier brand so it’s going to cost more to maintain than a Hyundai. Cost is really no different from bmw/MB/Audi.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1103 posts
576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If your friend is original owner and still under warranty, tell him to buy extended warranty. 2 years unlimited mileage.. I think it's 3000 something or 4000 something for Cayenne.

If you can get the extended warranty then it solves your first and third question.

The 2015 facelifted hybrid is better than the pre-facelift. If it was me, I'd think 29k km at $52k is pretty good price. ( assumming it has prem + )
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes
booblehead wrote: 1. No extended warranty ? Better set aside lots of rainy day funds. I say $3,000 per yr is the min.

2. You cannot get Porsche extended warranty now. Only orig. owner or buying a cpo car from Porsche dealer is the only way.

3. You will save a little bit of $ by buying from US. I would say about 5-10% at most in savings after factoring duties, shipping, currency exchange

$52k for a 5 yrs old suv does not sound like a great deal to me. Last gen Cayenne dropped like a rock in value since the new gen has been out for well over 1 yr now
1. The battery has a 10 year warranty till 2025, so yes I'm not worrying about that. $3000 a year for repair sounds a lot to me to be honest.

2. Thanks for that info.

3. Yeah, I don't think he is talking about OEM new parts tho, is a website I can't remember the name sorry that sells fairly decent used parts.

I used CBB for a averge asking price is around 62k for the car, the original list was 110k before tax I believe. But yes i will keep your info in mind.

Thanks
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: If your friend is original owner and still under warranty, tell him to buy extended warranty. 2 years unlimited mileage.. I think it's 3000 something or 4000 something for Cayenne.

If you can get the extended warranty then it solves your first and third question.

The 2015 facelifted hybrid is better than the pre-facelift. If it was me, I'd think 29k km at $52k is pretty good price. ( assumming it has prem + )
Yes he's the original owner however the original warranty has just expired a few month ago. 3-4K for a 2 years extended warranty isn't that bad if I can get one.

And yes it is the facelifted hybird.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
3k set aside a year is not a lot of maintenance if you are seriously considering a Porsche. Maybe look for a Japanese car if you’re worried about reliability. German cars are not known for reliability. I used to own Japanese and Korean and thought German cars would be just as reliable. My wife and I each got a Mercedes. Both cars had so many problems. One was brand new and one was CPO. We set aside money for repairs, but it’s getting really annoying. We are taking delivery of a Japanese car this week to replace my wife’s car. I’m getting rid of my car in a couple of years.

I sank about 8k in the last 3 years of ownership in the GLK.

Edit: around 10k actually

3k saved per year for emergency repairs sounds reasonable for a Porsche out of warranty best care scenario.

Edited: actually spent around 10k on repairs LOL. Holy that just woke me up.

GLK is still kinda broken. Output shaft seal on the transmission is leaking. It's around 2k to repair. I'm not going to bother with the repair. It can leak until the transmission fails and then I'll just get rid of it. Should last a couple of years
Last edited by trixstar on May 22nd, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16842 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote: What do you mean Porsche is one of the most expensive to maintain? It’s all relative, Porsche is a top tier brand so it’s going to cost more to maintain than a Hyundai. Cost is really no different from bmw/MB/Audi.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2023 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Used German and no warranty don't go together. Get an extended warranty through your friend. Any sensor or minor electrical fault will cost you a lot of $. After owning GL i am never going back to a German vehicle. The amount of time i spent in MB dealership shop is unthinkable.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5052 posts
3583 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I love Porsche E-Hybrid cars and potentially may look to get one in the future or a Taycan. Preferably the Panamera though. The electric range is just good enough for my daily commute so I don't even need to fill up. It's unfortunate you missed out on getting extended warranty, but I guess you can use the money you saved from filling up gas into a rainy day fund.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes
trixstar wrote: 3k set aside a year is not a lot of maintenance if you are seriously considering a Porsche. Maybe look for a Japanese car if you’re worried about reliability. German cars are not known for reliability. I used to own Japanese and Korean and thought German cars would be just as reliable. My wife and I each got a Mercedes. Both cars had so many problems. One was brand new and one was CPO. We set aside money for repairs, but it’s getting really annoying. We are taking delivery of a Japanese car this week to replace my wife’s car. I’m getting rid of my car in a couple of years.

I sank about 8k in the last 3 years of ownership in the GLK.

Edit: around 10k actually

God that sounds terrible...mind if I asked what year an how many kms on the GLK?

3k saved per year for emergency repairs sounds reasonable for a Porsche out of warranty best care scenario.

Edited: actually spent around 10k on repairs LOL. Holy that just woke me up.

GLK is still kinda broken. Output shaft seal on the transmission is leaking. It's around 2k to repair. I'm not going to bother with the repair. It can leak until the transmission fails and then I'll just get rid of it. Should last a couple of years
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
It’s a 2013. Purchased in 2016 with 40,000 kms. It’s now at 144,000 kms three years later. Lots of trips to Florida. Problems started to happen around 80k
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1103 posts
576 upvotes
Richmond Hill
phantoms wrote: Yes he's the original owner however the original warranty has just expired a few month ago. 3-4K for a 2 years extended warranty isn't that bad if I can get one.

oh, having no warranty sucks.. but at $52k it seems like a good price. Assuming your friend hasn't had any accidents and no shady stuff with the car that you're unaware of.

Drive it for a year or two then sell it.. probably won't be loosing too much money. But as others say, have a few thousand dollars ready in case something does go wrong.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
phantoms wrote: Yes he's the original owner however the original warranty has just expired a few month ago. 3-4K for a 2 years extended warranty isn't that bad if I can get one.

In reality, you are buying it at $52k + repair costs. Porsche is going to be at another level in terms of cost compared to non-luxury brands. If you are expecting to buy this and have it be your daily driver then things will break and you have to budget for that. If you want to know the difference in maintenance, check the cost of an oil change for the Porsche and see if it's something you can stomach.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
someone16 wrote:
In reality, you are buying it at $52k + repair costs. Porsche is going to be at another level in terms of cost compared to non-luxury brands. If you are expecting to buy this and have it be your daily driver then things will break and you have to budget for that. If you want to know the difference in maintenance, check the cost of an oil change for the Porsche and see if it's something you can stomach.
Its around $160 at an independent shop and around $400 at the dealer.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
trixstar wrote: It’s a 2013. Purchased in 2016 with 40,000 kms. It’s now at 144,000 kms three years later. Lots of trips to Florida. Problems started to happen around 80k
That's not that bad considering the amount of miles you put on the car. Even a japanese car won't be "repair-free" over 144k kms. Difference will be the cost of parts and labour.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
someone16 wrote: That's not that bad considering the amount of miles you put on the car. Even a japanese car won't be "repair-free" over 144k kms. Difference will be the cost of parts and labour.
I didnt have any problems with my 2011 Mazda 3. Drove it from 3km to 140,000 kms. All I did was a new battery, plugs, pads and rotors. 2013 Hyundai Sonata at around 160k now sold to my brother in law in 2016. Only pads rotors and battery changed. My dad's 2002 Suzuki with 120,000 kms. Only front rotors, pads and battery changed. I'm guessing that's enough for me to avoid Mercedes.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
trixstar wrote: I didnt have any problems with my 2011 Mazda 3. Drove it from 3km to 140,000 kms. All I did was a new battery, plugs, pads and rotors. 2013 Hyundai Sonata at around 160k now sold to my brother in law in 2016. Only pads rotors and battery changed. My dad's 2002 Suzuki with 120,000 kms. Only front rotors, pads and battery changed. I'm guessing that's enough for me to avoid Mercedes.
MB has never been known for reliability. In fact out of all the Germans they are the worst from mechanical to body lol. Look at how many rusty MB’s there are compared to the other guys. My friends with MB have had issues as well, I’m glad it’s an old mans car at least I won’t be buying one for quite some time lol
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13125 posts
1957 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: MB has never been known for reliability. In fact out of all the Germans they are the worst from mechanical to body lol. Look at how many rusty MB’s there are compared to the other guys. My friends with MB have had issues as well, I’m glad it’s an old mans car at least I won’t be buying one for quite some time lol
Funny that you mention it's an old man's car. My dad actually said the same thing when he compared my car with a Mazda a couple of weeks ago.