Automotive

Used vehicle $5K more then new with same optioning

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 7:39 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON

Used vehicle $5K more then new with same optioning

Been eyeing a truck lately. Looking at a Tundra TRD Offroad Premium.

Blows my mind that a dealer is selling a used one for 5 grand more then MSRP!

Needless to say - no sale!
Images
  • used.PNG
  • new.PNG
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9268 posts
8542 upvotes
Well, Autotrader.COM say a CrewMax with 30,000 miles for $56K USD is a good price.

So dealer is doing you a solid for not exporting it to US.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Xtrema wrote: Well, Autotrader.COM say a CrewMax with 30,000 miles for $56K USD is a good price.

So dealer is doing you a solid for not exporting it to US.
Wild!

No solids here though
Will pay MSRP for new instead
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9268 posts
8542 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Will pay MSRP for new instead
Can you tho?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/your-2021- ... station-5/

Or are they on the same crazy wait list like the F150?

This is probably the worst time I have seen if you need a popular vehicle.
Dealsareforchumps wrote: The dealer never does you a solid lol
I think that price is a bit more than what exporter would pay for it. Otherwise, it probably won't even hit that page.

With the right trim, they may even fetch $60K USD
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Last edited by Xtrema on Aug 26th, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Xtrema wrote: Can you tho?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/your-2021- ... station-5/

Or are they on the same crazy wait list like the F150?

This is probably the worst time I have seen if you need a popular vehicle.
Oh, most likely on a wait list. Gonna drove the Highlander through this winter and look at the situation in the spring at this point
Member
Jul 2, 2021
210 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you put in an order now, you are not going to get your hands on a new car next year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9268 posts
8542 upvotes
Kresher wrote: Unless you put in an order now, you are not going to get your hands on a new car next year.
Some cars.

My cousin just is taking delivery of a Venza next week. He's only been shopping for 3 weeks. But luck of the draw the right color landed just yesterday.

I think Venza is a tougher sale but my cousin really need a car and he actually like the fixed glass roof and overall budget Lexus look.

Not a dime under MSRP tho.
Member
Jul 2, 2021
210 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
Xtrema wrote: Some cars.

My cousin just is taking delivery of a Venza next week. He's only been shopping for 3 weeks. But luck of the draw the right color landed just yesterday.

I think Venza is a tougher sale but my cousin really need a car and he actually like the fixed glass roof and overall budget Lexus look.

Not a dime under MSRP tho.
Oh yes, popular ones like Rav 4 will be a long wait but other less popular ones are more like 1~3 months tops.

And ditto on the MSRP. I think the only "deal" you can get are some freebie accessories for the car.
Member
Nov 10, 2013
212 posts
240 upvotes
Yeah there's no arbitrage. Used truck being priced 'good' relative to US export, and if you want the new one at MSRP, you gotta wait basically until next year, and that's if they don't nickle and dime the car with admin fees and other rubbish.

I just ordered a RAV4 Hybrid here in Calgary, and was told it would be 2-3 months. That was BEFORE Toyota announced the big cut.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5234 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
I just checked the new vehicle inventory of a couple of Toyota dealerships here in Ottawa. Some are down to 33 vehicles. In total. That includes everything. None had a Tundra.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
skeet50 wrote: I just checked the new vehicle inventory of a couple of Toyota dealerships here in Ottawa. Some are down to 33 vehicles. In total. That includes everything. None had a Tundra.
There is no inventory anywhere. Everything around here is bare.

I did a search for new Tundras on autotrader. 15 in Ontario. About half of those are smaller 4 door cab, not the Crewmax.

Not adverse to waiting. See what happens.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31913 posts
18919 upvotes
Toronto
KevinM56081 wrote: Appreciated.

Base, and platinum. I'm looking for the middle ground. Want a few of the extras, but not the 20" rims etc.
Hmm. maybe give this dealer a call to see if they have any future shipment coming in. You will need to act fast !

Have you also asked any dealer to see if they can see who has what in Ontario ? Quebec ? Manitoba ? Perhaps, they can do trade with each other to get one but I think they may not want to nowadays.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31913 posts
18919 upvotes
Toronto
well, there had been many rfders here that reside in Ontario and went on to buy their wanted car from out of province and then shipped it back home. Dealer will coordinate the shipping manifest for you and all you have to do is to wait at home for the delivery and then have the vehicle registered at MTO.

In this case, I would estimate the shipping charge to be around $1500 range.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1053 posts
827 upvotes
yes, I personally checked out the used car lot at DON VALLEY NORTH TOYOTA this week... Their used Toyota inventory is running super low, other makes and models (non toyota) are filling in their used car lot now. I have NEVER seen that before.

Top