Automotive

Used vehicle wholesale price Ontario

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 8:43 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 22, 2015
9 posts
30 upvotes
Kanata ON

Used vehicle wholesale price Ontario

Hi
I understand that I pay HST on the price paid or the wholesale price, whichever is higher.

I am looking at buying a vehicle in another province (QB) and importing it into Ontario so there is no UVIP (used vehicle information package).

Is there any way in advance to know what the Service Ontario wholesale price is in advance of buying and importing it?

Will Service Ontario be able to tell me?
9 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
3788 posts
906 upvotes
Brampton
Galaxy151 wrote: You can try this site: http://www.vmrcanada.com/ It's not 100% accurate from my experience, but it gives you an idea of the wholesale and retail price.
Interesting, the price seems to have gone down about $2k since I checked on that site a month ago.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2015
614 posts
351 upvotes
Brampton, ON
prod wrote: Interesting, the price seems to have gone down about $2k since I checked on that site a month ago.
2 grand is quite a bit, but if it’s German.. makes sense lol it seems like most cars older than 2005 has no wholesale value (15 year life I’m assuming?), just a side note. I checked the pricing for my current vehicle which is a 2014 and it seems to hit the spot in both pricing and retail. You can also check autotrader to see how much your car is worth in the market and you could compare the difference.

That being said, I’ve never interacted with service Ontario regarding finding out the wholesale price without the uvip package. Might be worth calling, and worst case scenario they’ll turn you down.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2013
2018 posts
923 upvotes
Moon
Galaxy151 wrote: You can try this site: http://www.vmrcanada.com/ It's not 100% accurate from my experience, but it gives you an idea of the wholesale and retail price.
interesting! Does anyone know how service Ontario determines the condition? Fair Clean Exc ?
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6370 posts
4986 upvotes
Galaxy151 wrote: 2 grand is quite a bit, but if it’s German.. makes sense lol it seems like most cars older than 2005 has no wholesale value (15 year life I’m assuming?), just a side note. I checked the pricing for my current vehicle which is a 2014 and it seems to hit the spot in both pricing and retail. You can also check autotrader to see how much your car is worth in the market and you could compare the difference.

That being said, I’ve never interacted with service Ontario regarding finding out the wholesale price without the uvip package. Might be worth calling, and worst case scenario they’ll turn you down.
Without knowing what he's looking at, hard to see what $2K drop means. Off a $20K car, about right right. Off a $40K off lease German, that's too little of a drop.

Average drop in wholesale prices in US is 10-12%. And Apr numbers may be even worse than that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
3788 posts
906 upvotes
Brampton
Xtrema wrote: Without knowing what he's looking at, hard to see what $2K drop means. Off a $20K car, about right right. Off a $40K off lease German, that's too little of a drop.

Average drop in wholesale prices in US is 10-12%. And Apr numbers may be even worse than that.
I was looking at the $20k - $30k range. It may not scale directly as you go upmarket.
I am pretty certain that 10-12% off wholesale will not be reflected in US retail sales, and keep in mind we never get the full equivalent of a US market drop, at least not that I can remember.
Also, dealers have large current inventory that they bought without the benefit of any wholesale market drop, that they do not want to lose money on.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6370 posts
4986 upvotes
prod wrote: I was looking at the $20k - $30k range. It may not scale directly as you go upmarket.
I am pretty certain that 10-12% off wholesale will not be reflected in US retail sales, and keep in mind we never get the full equivalent of a US market drop, at least not that I can remember.
Also, dealers have large current inventory that they bought without the benefit of any wholesale market drop, that they do not want to lose money on.
It will impact us to a certain degree. A lot of dealer here has been dumping lease returns and trade-in into US due to currency conversion = extra profit. I think this will accelerate since CAD dropped 6% since the pandemic.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2015
614 posts
351 upvotes
Brampton, ON
kangarooz wrote: interesting! Does anyone know how service Ontario determines the condition? Fair Clean Exc ?
They don’t take condition into consideration. You just have to make sure the car passes safety to put it on the road. Those options seem like how much you’d expect to pay for the car, rather there is no wholesale price on the car.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3841 upvotes
Galaxy151 wrote: You can try this site: http://www.vmrcanada.com/ It's not 100% accurate from my experience, but it gives you an idea of the wholesale and retail price.
You can say that again, Honda #2 in reliability, HA! Shit brand nowdays. What is this, 1990?

Top