Home & Garden

Useful way to hide laundry room connections

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 10:59 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west

Useful way to hide laundry room connections

In our laundry room, like many, we have the typical washing machine in the wall connection. Two outlets and the drain hose.

But since we dont have front load on pedestals, we see this all the time. And plan on doing a small cleanup in the room with some painting, etc.

We have a top load washing machine, and dont plan on going back to front load.

Above the are there are cabinets which wont be moved.

Tryign to brainstorm, and get some ideas off here. Is there anything that may exist that you could mount to the cabinets that would pull out that could be used as an extra shelf maybe to fold clothes, and then push back and fold down to hide the area?

Just trying to spit ball, and to also say Im not a master craftsman to build alot of things that would actually look nice
22 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25729 posts
4862 upvotes
Definitely need to upload some pics. I never see my hoses because they are hidden by the machine, including the connections.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
Jon Lai wrote: Typically hoses are behind the machine. Are you saying you see them only because you have to lean into the machine since it's top loading, and therefore you see the back of the machine? :S
We know when it comes to home builder, nothing is typical. They are above the height of the washing machine. Its not a functional issues, its a looks issue. Probably put there for front load washer on pedestals, since the height of the cabinets would accommodate as such
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
Shaner wrote: Definitely need to upload some pics. I never see my hoses because they are hidden by the machine, including the connections.
I'm not sure if this height is out of the ordinary or not. Is not being moved down for sure, since functionally it works

If we are to use the space above, want it to be useful, not just something that hides it like a hanging sign, etc. About 17" of space from the bottom of the cvupboard to the top of the washing machine back

If they were front load, id just build a shelf over it all for folding clothes, etc. But we used to own front load and wasnt a fan
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19383 posts
17068 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Thanks for the pics.

Normal stuff going on here with that “box” for the Washer connection.
You also WANT IT easily accessible so you can turn off the water if need be

We turn our Washer water off, if we are going to be away longer than a weekend
We do the same with our Dish Washer

Only way you really can hide it is cosmetic
GOOGLE = hidden washer hookups

You’ll find lots of ideas on Pinterest for example

If you want a folding shelf (very useful)
It prob won’t be workable in the tight space you have between the units and the bottom of the cabinets
Unless you rig something that when not in use that has a piano hinge, so it folds back onto itself

Most people just stick a decorative shelf into that space
Or one to keep laundry supplies on …
Again lots of pics on Pinterest

Looks like though you have a big free & clear wall to the right of your washer & dryer
You could certainly install a fold down shelf there
That would come down infront of the cabinets over the washer & dryer
In much the same way the old in the wall ironing boards used to work back in the 40s and 50s
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 16th, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1433 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Bro it's fine like that lol
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
PointsHubby wrote: Thanks for the pics.

Normal stuff going on here with that “box” for the Washer connection.
You also WANT IT easily accessible so you can turn off the water if need be

We turn our Washer water off, if we are going to be away longer than a weekend
We do the same with our Dish Washer

Only way you really can hide it is cosmetic
GOOGLE = hidden washer hookups

You’ll find lots of ideas on Pinterest for example

If you want a folding shelf (very useful)
It prob won’t be workable in the tight space you have between the units and the bottom of the cabinets
Unless you rig something that when not in use that has a piano hinge, so it folds back onto itself

Most people just stick a decorative shelf into that space
Or one to keep laundry supplies on …
Again lots of pics on Pinterest

Looks like though you have a big free & clear wall to the right of your washer & dryer
You could certainly install a fold down shelf there
That would come down infront of the cabinets over the washer & dryer
In much the same way the old in the wall ironing boards used to work back in the 40s and 50s
I do want to use the wasted space for for something useful. Althought we have a lot of storage space in the laundry room, maybe another shelf of some kind. But something that folds away would be better.

I do have some left over barnwood from a project I think Ill use up in the area. We plan on painting the room from the oroginal builder paint, so might as well do that since its more or less free.

But for sure I want easy access to the area, and the dead wall space could have a fold down table for folding clothes

Thanks for the ideas
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7165 posts
3334 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Reminds me of people wanting to hide a circuit breaker panel behind or inside something.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
thriftshopper wrote: Reminds me of people wanting to hide a circuit breaker panel behind or inside something.
Its just an idea, and since we are going to rework the room with a small makeover, might as well try to hide this.

Have this idea for one wall. We already have a folding drying rack for small stuff which can be moved, and this in its place. Give the folding table she wants, but not in the way when folded up.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SYY6CYH/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
Has anyone installed these recessed dryer boxes. Not this particular brand, but this style

https://dryerbox.com/

Currently I have Lee Valley Magnetic connection one that works very well, easy to remove for cleaning, etc

But the vent is higher on the wall, so I have to leave so much hose to use, which causes the dryer to be out alot.

Just wondering how hard they are to install.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2956 posts
1276 upvotes
Mississauga
WikkiWikki wrote: Has anyone installed these recessed dryer boxes. Not this particular brand, but this style

https://dryerbox.com/

Currently I have Lee Valley Magnetic connection one that works very well, easy to remove for cleaning, etc

But the vent is higher on the wall, so I have to leave so much hose to use, which causes the dryer to be out alot.

Just wondering how hard they are to install.
Great I was meaning to pickup the Lee Valley vent ... good to hear u like it.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
TLSRULZ wrote: Great I was meaning to pickup the Lee Valley vent ... good to hear u like it.

Thanks
For the cost of around $50 defintly worth it. I have a small bungee cord wrapped around the hose so I can hold it while the magnets catch. Any other way to clean the vent was a pain in the ass. Ive had it for over 2 years now.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4778 posts
1300 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WikkiWikki wrote: For the cost of around $50 defintly worth it. I have a small bungee cord wrapped around the hose so I can hold it while the magnets catch. Any other way to clean the vent was a pain in the ass. Ive had it for over 2 years now.
+1 for the Lee Valley magnetic vent
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2133 posts
1098 upvotes
Ontario
Are you leaving the cabinets where they are for this 'small makeover'?
If so I'd leave the space as-is as there isn't really anything useful enough to be put in that small of an area under the cabinets. Maybe a pull down towel drying rack of some kind?
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
IcarusLSC wrote: Are you leaving the cabinets where they are for this 'small makeover'?
If so I'd leave the space as-is as there isn't really anything useful enough to be put in that small of an area under the cabinets. Maybe a pull down towel drying rack of some kind?
Yes they are staying because they are used. Already have a towel fold away rack

I actually found a floating entertainment unit thats the same colour on Amazon Warehouse for $40. Its about 7" hugh with two small doors and an open area. Should fit right under and add some storage for small stuff and be back far enough to not affect the door. And will hide the box from the top so to really see it you would need to look underneath.

Shoudl work, of not, Ill send it back
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46489 posts
6897 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WikkiWikki wrote: Yes they are staying because they are used. Already have a towel fold away rack

I actually found a floating entertainment unit thats the same colour on Amazon Warehouse for $40. Its about 7" hugh with two small doors and an open area. Should fit right under and add some storage for small stuff and be back far enough to not affect the door. And will hide the box from the top so to really see it you would need to look underneath.

Shoudl work, of not, Ill send it back
Sounds like you would be eliminating the ability to quickly shut it off in case of a leak, though.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
22046 posts
3092 upvotes
Out west
Jon Lai wrote: Sounds like you would be eliminating the ability to quickly shut it off in case of a leak, though.
Nope. not tall enough, wont stop any access I need
Member
Mar 9, 2019
202 posts
102 upvotes
Connect the hot/cold under the sink. Check if you have 2inch drain, if so. you can install a standpipe beside sink for drain and drywall the patch.

Top