Parenting & Family

Useless baby stuffs that new parents should not get...? Need advice

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 1:58 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 8, 2014
330 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Useless baby stuffs that new parents should not get...? Need advice

What are the baby stuffs that you have regret getting?
48 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2766 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
The baby? No but seriously it doesn't all have to be "useful" If you will enjoy looking at it and have the money don't deprive yourself of a little luxury. A lot of stuff I think is junk other parents rely on so each parent is really different. You probably know a bit what your philosophy but plans once you get your baby.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24838 posts
1951 upvotes
Markham, ON
ppl that get a changing table...damn waste of money....just put a $10 changing pad ontop of a drawer (ie Malm 3-drawer)...done. After 1-2 years...you still have a useful drawer...pad can be toss or donated.

2-way video monitor (not network)...waste...get a foscam...you can still use afterwards or use for a different purpose.
Member
Aug 31, 2014
331 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I never got a diaper bag, just use whatever large capacity bag/ purse/gym bags I had at home.

But honestly i think every baby and every parent is different, so not everyone has the same convenience. For example I didn't need a breastfeeding pillow because we had some difficulties breastfeeding and ended up with some less common positions. But most of my friends must feed with a pillow. Or some babies melts down if you don't use a wipe warmer or warm their bottles. We put sat-in-the-car-canadian-winter-cold wipes on our baby and he's fine. I also have a Velcro baby so I use my baby carrier everyday, but some of my friends don't use theirs much. So it all depends
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2951 posts
2740 upvotes
Montreal
thelefteyeguy wrote: ppl that get a changing table...damn waste of money....just put a $10 changing pad ontop of a drawer (ie Malm 3-drawer)...done. After 1-2 years...you still have a useful drawer...pad can be toss or donated.

2-way video monitor (not network)...waste...get a foscam...you can still use afterwards or use for a different purpose.

I think this depends a lot on how many kids you get. For only one kid, perhaps.

But with many kids, the changing tables have saved our backs (and we got front facing ones, not sideways ones, which helped even more).

Baby cams: dedicated monitors are far superior and worth it, if only from a security point of view (all IP cameras have constant security and privacy issues).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2117 posts
1548 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
The only thing I absolutely hated was buying the baby monitor with the SID movement seonsor. The monitor was fine, but the movement sensor would go off every time I forgot to turn it off in the middle of the night it would shriek and wake the whole house,
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11925 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: I think this depends a lot on how many kids you get. For only one kid, perhaps.

But with many kids, the changing tables have saved our backs (and we got front facing ones, not sideways ones, which helped even more).

Baby cams: dedicated monitors are far superior and worth it, if only from a security point of view (all IP cameras have constant security and privacy issues).
I guess the right changing table is helpful. I also agree with the separate monitor. As first time parents, it was much better getting a dedicated handheld monitor that was sensitive to movement and could easily be used as a walkie talkie at the press of a button (helped with sleep training). Late at night, no bungling to look for your phone, or when older less tech-savvy in-laws came to sit when baby was sleeping, they can just look at the monitor easily.

For us, we got the glider chair/matching gliding leg rest and didn't use it much. But I've heard some people found it useful. But if you want to save $$, I would avoid that.

I can't really think of any other items that people shouldn't get. OP, have any ideas on what you're thinking? Best is to just buy as you go along. Would recommend a bassinet and dedicated swaddle at the very least at the start.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2951 posts
2740 upvotes
Montreal
Baby milk bottle warmer. Useless. We just use the microwave. Much more practical and totally safe if you know what you're doing.

Steam sterilizer. Useless if you're in Canada. Just wash your bottles in the dishwasher.

Any baby specific blenders. Just use your own and freeze the excess.
Sr. Member
Aug 5, 2008
603 posts
381 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: Baby milk bottle warmer. Useless. We just use the microwave. Much more practical and totally safe if you know what you're doing.

Steam sterilizer. Useless if you're in Canada. Just wash your bottles in the dishwasher.

Any baby specific blenders. Just use your own and freeze the excess.
I don't have a dishwasher lol
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14250 posts
8341 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote: ppl that get a changing table...damn waste of money....just put a $10 changing pad ontop of a drawer (ie Malm 3-drawer)...done.
agreed
Gee wrote: Diaper Genie

Totally useless.
i disagree.
Member
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
All baby products are there for a purpose and cater to certain individuals/life styles. For me, below is the things I didn't get or regretted getting (should have chose to save the money):-

Diaper Genie - we wrapped the dirty diapers in a plastic bag (get from supermarket fruit section) and throw away daily. We live in a condo tho
Diaper Bag - used the ones got from Nestle for free and from breast pumps. I think any big bag/backpack with side pockets can do if fashion is no issue
Bottle warmer - if you have a hot water dispenser like us, just pour boiling water in a cup and put the bottle there for 5 min (depends on level of milk). Otherwise that can be useful.
Change table - got one cheap from IKEA, yet still regret as once my baby started to roll, I don't feel safe even with the harness
Wipe warmer - why would anyone get that and keep it charged all day? hydro is expensive!! We dipped the wipe in warm boiling water before use
Expensive teether - got one natural wood thingy for $40 and my baby throws it when sees it, absolutely no intend to chew
Breastfeeding pillow - our pillow works better. But our baby was exclusively on formula very soon afterwards.
Newborn clothing and diapers - outgrow in no time, give away almost like new
My theory is if you see an item been there forever on Walmart Baby Clearance it's probably not too useful.

IMHO, must have:-
playpen or pack n play - so useful to bring around to keep baby seeing you when you move around the house.
bottle sterilizer - OMG! This is a must for bottle feeding baby. I only regret not getting it sooner! Think about hand washing 8 bottles a day! A microwavable one is not expensive and totally worth the price. We got one expensive (over $100) but can run a whole sterilizing and drying cycle. A total lifesaver!

May miss other essentials, only can think about those right now. Hope it helps!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
15026 posts
3703 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: ppl that get a changing table...damn waste of money....just put a $10 changing pad ontop of a drawer (ie Malm 3-drawer)...done. After 1-2 years...you still have a useful drawer...pad can be toss or donated.

2-way video monitor (not network)...waste...get a foscam...you can still use afterwards or use for a different purpose.
that's what i did..LOL
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Member
Dec 8, 2014
330 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB
What about those 4 in 1 cribs? Is it worth getting and eventually buying the rails for the double bed? What is everyone's take on this
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2013
948 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
kaisin82 wrote: What about those 4 in 1 cribs? Is it worth getting and eventually buying the rails for the double bed? What is everyone's take on this
Yes!!! Preferably already comes with the tools to change it to a toddler then double bed. You’ll have a hard time finding them years later.

Don’t ever get 4moms. So expensive and a waste of money. Same with Halo. I’d rather get a dockatot next time. Easier to transition baby to crib.

Our packnplay/playard we hardly use. Stroller and carrier we love.

I agree with the change table. Get a dresser the same height as a change table and buy a change pad/mattress instead. And don’t buy change pad sheets. Kushies has a waterproof pd that we use under the crib sheet for any puke/pee to protect the mattress, as portable change pad on the go that’s washable and also over our change pad/mattress. Buy 5-6 of them, about $10-15 each!

We also love our diaper genie.
Member
Aug 31, 2014
331 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cutey130 wrote: I don't have a dishwasher lol
Dishwasher is also useful coz I prioritize sleep over chores, so dishes don’t get washed by hands unless necessary.
Sr. Member
Aug 5, 2008
603 posts
381 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Dishwasher is also useful coz I prioritize sleep over chores, so dishes don’t get washed by hands unless necessary.
Ok but the person I quoted made an assumption that a lot of people have dishwashers. But I guess it is pretty useful when you have a baby. I’m not allowed to have one in my place.
[OP]
Member
Dec 8, 2014
330 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Kayceern wrote: Yes!!! Preferably already comes with the tools to change it to a toddler then double bed. You’ll have a hard time finding them years later.

Don’t ever get 4moms. So expensive and a waste of money. Same with Halo. I’d rather get a dockatot next time. Easier to transition baby to crib.

Our packnplay/playard we hardly use. Stroller and carrier we love.

I agree with the change table. Get a dresser the same height as a change table and buy a change pad/mattress instead. And don’t buy change pad sheets. Kushies has a waterproof pd that we use under the crib sheet for any puke/pee to protect the mattress, as portable change pad on the go that’s washable and also over our change pad/mattress. Buy 5-6 of them, about $10-15 each!

We also love our diaper genie.

I was thinking

1. Bed might become flimsy after few years or totally gross, it might be better off getting a proper bed?
2. Bed rails seemed to be sold separately by manufacturer and not provided in the set. I might be wrong here. Adds to the cost to the crib
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2117 posts
1548 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
kaisin82 wrote: What about those 4 in 1 cribs? Is it worth getting and eventually buying the rails for the double bed? What is everyone's take on this
Depends if you are planning more than one child. We bought a beautiful, well made wood one that goes from crib to, toddler bed, to double bed. We definately used it for the crib and toddler bed bed, but needed it to be a crib for the second baby. By the time the second was ready for the double, I couldn’t find the rails (you have to buy them separatel) and the bed was too big for what we wanted.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.

Top