None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
546 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto

Using Credit Card benefits

Hello all,

I would like advice on how to use the 'benefits' on the 'World Elite' and 'infinite privilege' cards. I've had such cards and never used anything beyond the rewards. Please share tips below.

Discussion points:
1. What has a concierge service actually done that is of value?
2. What kinds of insurance have you successfully claimed?
3. What type of situation were you able to claim extended warranty, what type of product was it?
4. Price protection- is it easy to actually claim it?

What I'm trying to understand is when does #2 even help.... for travel insurance, are you not covered by your employer anyway?

Thanks.
35 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
  1. they can basically do what a quick web search can do
  2. None so far for me
  3. Claimed a blender on MBNA, claim got denied so I stopped using MBNA for regular spending
  4. Probably depends on the issuer. Consider that price protection has a lot of exclusions, so a lot of purchases will be ineligible
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Claimed a blender on MBNA, claim got denied
How tight can they be ??
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1886 posts
2250 upvotes
Flight delay insurance is what I've had the most experience with. I used to have quite bad luck on travel, got stuck quite a few times (4+), on returning legs. RBC flight delay insurance paid for the hotel+food for all of them. One was even across 4 days, and they cut a cheque. I also used the Purchase Protection Plan on Amex to get a newly purchased phone fixed after dropping it. Just sent them the bill and they also cut a cheque. Found every case I've used insurance to be rather easy.
Banking: Alterna Bank (2%), Motive Financial (3%)
Investing: National Bank Direct Brokerage
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 10GB Rollover ($45/mth)
Jul 4, 2020
12 posts
24 upvotes
Ontario
I only have experience with number 2. I successfully had a rental cars windshield replaced after a bad stone chip, paid for through my BMO world elites insurance. I see the main benefit for this as not having to make a claim through your regular car insurance which would lead to higher premiums.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: How tight can they be ??
Since the TD acquisition, MBNA has been nerfed in various ways. The extended warranty on TD CT VISA Inf cards covers "repair or replace", but on my MBNA VISA Infinite it's "repair only" (customer y couldn't tell me that before I sent the claim). Manufacturers won't repair blenders.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5118 posts
2964 upvotes
GreenFinGirl wrote: Hello all,

I would like advice on how to use the 'benefits' on the 'World Elite' and 'infinite privilege' cards. I've had such cards and never used anything beyond the rewards. Please share tips below.

Discussion points:
3. What type of situation were you able to claim extended warranty, what type of product was it?

What I'm trying to understand is when does #2 even help.... for travel insurance, are you not covered by your employer anyway?

Thanks.
For - Capital One World Master Card:

1. Never used it.
2. I've claimed car rental damage twice. Very easy. Just send an email showing the full rental charged to your card, and damage waiver declined, and police report (if necessary). Keep in mind for car rental, as long as there are no injuries, it's better to use your card than go through personal insurance. Your credit card and the rental company will not report it as it falls under the rental company fleet policy; whereas your personal insurance will report the damage.
3. Never had to yet.
4. Used it twice and got a cheque in the mail twice (takes about 4 weeks). A bit of a hassle with online merchants, as these price protection seem to be more geared towards traditional flyers. Online you need screenshots, and receipts are digital which can make it tricky at times.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: The extended warranty ... on my MBNA VISA Infinite it's "repair only" ... Manufacturers won't repair blenders.
Geez, that's a catch.

So really, it's "repair only", but conditional on the manufacturer agreeing to repair it.

I have a poor opinion of insurance companies in general. They'll try their utmost, to slither their way out of paying a claim.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: Geez, that's a catch.

So really, it's "repair only", but conditional on the manufacturer agreeing to repair it.

I have a poor opinion of insurance companies in general. They'll try their utmost, to slither their way out of paying a claim.
+1

now you know why my lead cards are AmEx and CTFS for domestic, where i'd only rely on CTFS extended warranty for partner stores :lol:
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
546 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for this discussion. Seems like flight delay and car rental insurance are the key things.

What about just auto club? I only got my CTFS card for this reason, and it was no fee...

But really, l was reading a credit card review and it mentioned a card with 15 types of insurance...l have never had to use it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37783 posts
23859 upvotes
Center of Universe
Put in my first AMEX extended warranty claim and received a full refund, as the nature of failure on the device cannot be repaired at a reasonable cost.

RSA is the underwriter and they are cutting me a cheque for the exact amount I paid a few years ago.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Put in my first AMEX extended warranty claim and received a full refund, as the nature of failure on the device cannot be repaired at a reasonable cost.

RSA is the underwriter and they are cutting me a cheque for the exact amount I paid a few years ago.
Well done!

Can't complain about that Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
GreenFinGirl wrote: What about just auto club? I only got my CTFS card for this reason
Then you've answered your own question Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
GreenFinGirl wrote: Thanks for this discussion. Seems like flight delay and car rental insurance are the key things.

What about just auto club? I only got my CTFS card for this reason, and it was no fee...

But really, l was reading a credit card review and it mentioned a card with 15 types of insurance...l have never had to use it.
CT roadside gold is only (arguably) second to CAA and the best included with any CC issued in Canada (and maybe the US, too). HomeTrust Preferred has low limits (but also free), TD & BMO are AF cards (and not as good as CT).
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: CT roadside gold is ... the best included with any CC issued in Canada (and maybe the US, too). HomeTrust Preferred has low limits (but also free)
Yah, HT has 5km of towing. In rural areas, that'll take you no further than past the next couple of hills.

Compare that, to the 250km of towing offered by Triangle WE Roadside Assistance Gold Plan.

There's no contest.
titaniumtux wrote: CT roadside gold is only (arguably) second to CAA
Agreed.

If you're willing to pay, then CAA may still be the way to go.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24173 posts
12213 upvotes
Toronto
joshnet wrote: Flight delay insurance is what I've had the most experience with. I used to have quite bad luck on travel, got stuck quite a few times (4+), on returning legs. RBC flight delay insurance paid for the hotel+food for all of them. One was even across 4 days, and they cut a cheque. I also used the Purchase Protection Plan on Amex to get a newly purchased phone fixed after dropping it. Just sent them the bill and they also cut a cheque. Found every case I've used insurance to be rather easy.
If you were delayed just 4 hours, did you check into a lounge, order food and give them the bill?
What exactly are they paying for is what I'm asking?
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
If you book a flight directly with an airline, using their airline miles ... but pay the "taxes and fuel surcharge" on your chosen card,

With the airline miles program having no affiliation with the card ...

Can you claim with the insurance on the card, in the event of flight delays? Particularly for overnight delays.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: If you're willing to pay, then CAA may still be the way to go.
I've only ever used roadside assistance locally and was for boosts (with the most recent incident being a tow). My needs for roadside assistance are fairly basic, so CT roadside gold is more than enough for me. But ya, those who drive round the clock, especially internationally would probably be better off with CAA. The fact that it's included in CTFS's flagship card is unreal.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1127 posts
1328 upvotes
Kitchener
GreenFinGirl wrote: Discussion points:

Thanks.
1. Visa infinite one I tried just spent 1-2 hours researching travel related stuff to my destination and sent a few links. Amex platinum concierge is quite a bit better, I asked them for info on my thailand trip, they put in a lot of hours and send you a huge PDF of tons of places that accept amex and they also had some restaurants there with some exclusive deals (vip reservation, free desert or wine,).
2. Only flight delay insurance. The fact we have 4 hour flight delay insurance on many amex cards, visa infinite, some world elite is actually pretty huge. Most countries don't get this. US cards for example, generally only have it on very high ($300+) fee cards, and it's at best 6 hours and a lot more exclusions. I used it on amex cobalt, which uses RSA - which plenty of visa infinite/world elite cards use as there insurance guys too. Very easy all online process after you get a log in setup. Attach the right emails/receipts and bam your hotel/meals/uber are paid for. No old school or mailing stuff in needed either, they do direct deposit.
And especially if you travel in winter, 4+ hour delays are very common. So long as you pick a good airline that emails you about delays/cancellations (avoid air canada), very easy to do. And if you end up stuck in a place you know are some nice hotels, you can be in control and choose to leave the airport and stay somewhere nice until a good flight is available without worrying about a dime (up to $500/$1000 depending on the card).

3. Not used. Don't think it's worth the hassle generally. As others mentioned, just getting warranties honored in the first place is a hassle, and the extended stuff is usually going to be worst. The one exception I read about is amex platinum US - they handle it in house and it's more then extended warranty, they pretty much will replace/refund stuff for you within reason, or even just credit you and not ask to you send the item in. None of the canadian vendors, including amex canada, handle it in house, and the third parties do not have grep reputations for this.
4. Not used. I think it's easier to use a semi automated service like meridian / motus offers if you really want to take advantage of this. (and they don't require you to use a particular card)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
Eleventeen wrote: flight delay insurance. The fact we have 4 hour flight delay insurance on many amex cards, visa infinite, some world elite is actually pretty huge.
Great info. Thanks for posting.

Does this cover you, if you've used airline miles to obtain the flight, but have paid for the "taxes and fuel surcharge" on the card?

Where the airline miles program has no affiliation with the card.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️