• Dec 18th, 2019 9:34 am
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
160 posts
20 upvotes
MONTR

Using Flash on a Printed Backdrop Banner

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a printed backdrop banner for an event. The banner is going to be printed on vinyl, but I wanted to know if anyone knows if there is any issues with using flash against the banner? The banner will be matte, so I'm guessing the flash will not be an issue but I wanted to be sure.

This is the banner I'll be getting - backdrop banner. I figured for a $100, it's a pretty good deal considering the other guys charge almost 50% more.

Thanks,
4 replies
Apr 9, 2012
432 posts
327 upvotes
Unless someone has experience with this exact material or the mfg insists that it will not prooduce a hot spot, you should test it before the job. Vinyl with a matte or pearl finish unlike canvas could still cause glare if the flash were too direct or too close. Think of matte finish plastic (vinyl) coated prints, which can still reflect glare. Test before use, learn how to use it or go with canvas / fabric IME.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13215 posts
6983 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Depends who is using the flash, most photogs would flag their speedlite so it's either bounced from behind or off the ceiling based on the room assessment, nothing direct = minimal glare if any.

If it's someone walking up with their phone, point&shoot, maybe a novice pointing their flash forward, a glare off the material is possible. Direct flash is also not flattering for the subjects.

If it's you shooting, you may also want to gel the speedlite to match the colour temp of the lights in the room. The white balance on your camera should be set for the same.
Nov 12, 2012
699 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
You will need to be extra careful about flash placement, and diffuse the light/bounce.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5117 posts
495 upvotes
Just use some cheap umbrellas from amazon. either shoot through or bounce them to diffuse the light.