• Dec 16th, 2017 11:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto

Using Gift Cards At Shoppers Drug Mart, New Policy

Update: Seems to be an update to the way gift cards and handled at SDM. Here's some info:

Made some purchases. Asked to pay with a gift card. The cashiers (somehow) total it, the screen is currently reminding them to hand out contest cards to enter the contest, they clear that, select the tender type (gift card), select tender amount (the entire transaction) AND THEN the transaction is stuck, where it says Enter Verification Code or Enter Code or something to that extent. At this point, the cashiers are ready to tell you to swipe the card, but the system is still on "Welcome" (PIN Pad) and isn't ready to accept the gift card yet. Something has to be entered at the till.

Well, the cashier thought something was wrong with her till and started telling customers cash-only (and attempted to try multiple other tills) because the pin pad wasn't working properly.

Cashier and after cashier. FINALLY a solution came.

When the register is stuck on enter a code / enter something and the PIN Pad hasn't come to life yet, the cashier was able to enter the 4-digit PIN on my gift card (scratch-off area), which it accepted and THEN prompted for the gift card, which you swipe on the customer terminal as usual, which completed the transaction.

So, maybe it was right now only. Maybe it was just this store? Or maybe Shoppers has a new theft-prevention step, when it comes to using gift cards (now asking for the PIN, which the cashier physically enters in), I DON'T KNOW, but since it happened today for the first time (and not yesterday), I thought I'd let everyone know.

Edit: It also appears that you no longer get Optimum points on purchases of SDM gift cards.
TO BE CONFIRMED however ... Not confirmed.
Last edited by DaVibe on Oct 31st, 2017 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2946 posts
1594 upvotes
London
well there store manger ud think would have been informed of the change before hand so they could let there cashiers know.
Mar 28, 2016
154 posts
437 upvotes
Their systems were updated last Tuesday I was told at more than one shoppers this weekend.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
I can confirm, this is a new feature at SDM stores. So, now that you guys know your PIN has to be entered, now you'll speed up your transaction if they don't know.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4218 posts
2770 upvotes
Vancouver
dimplygecko wrote: Their systems were updated last Tuesday I was told at more than one shoppers this weekend.
You sure? No PIN needed on Friday when i bought milk, eggs, etc. Of course could just be the store still running the old system/not updated yet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: You sure? No PIN needed on Friday when i bought milk, eggs, etc. Of course could just be the store still running the old system/not updated yet.
I purchased items on Monday with the old system, new system on Tuesday (of this week). Maybe various roll outs.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4218 posts
2770 upvotes
Vancouver
DaVibe wrote: I purchased items on Monday with the old system, new system on Tuesday (of this week). Maybe various roll outs.
Tuesday = today (or yesterday if you want to be exact/12am) or the day of your OP. Probably should change title from last few days to on Oct 31 or later. Probably a good idea for this change since next week is their annual GC bonus point week and the last few years a few people seem to always have their balance stolen (always seems to be used in Alberta too regardless of where the card was bought).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: Tuesday = today (or yesterday if you want to be exact/12am) or the day of your OP. Probably should change title from last few days to on Oct 31 or later. Probably a good idea for this change since next week is their annual GC bonus point week and the last few years a few people seem to always have their balance stolen (always seems to be used in Alberta too regardless of where the card was bought).
You said "last Tuesday" when it was already Tuesday, I thought you meant last week

Edit: Yes I can change the title. This wasn't a confirmed thing at the time, so I didn't want to claim something that wasn't true. Now we know.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4218 posts
2770 upvotes
Vancouver
DaVibe wrote: You said "last Tuesday" when it was already Tuesday, I thought you meant last week

Edit: Yes I can change the title. This wasn't a confirmed thing at the time, so I didn't want to claim something that wasn't true. Now we know.
I think you meant dimplygecko said last Tuesday. I said i bought milk/egg on Friday after Tuesday and it was still the old system. I quoted his post not what i said... :P
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: I think you meant dimplygecko said last Tuesday. I said i bought milk/egg on Friday after Tuesday and it was still the old system. I quoted his post not what i said... :P
Okay cool.
Yeah, no pin needed for my purchases on Monday either.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1467 posts
464 upvotes
This is good news for the security of the GCs but it sucks about the optimum points not given.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
wra45mon wrote: This is good news for the security of the GCs but it sucks about the optimum points not given.
Unconfirmed. It still might be okay, another user said we still are.
We will know more after this upcoming flyer, when everyone buys their gift cards.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
3008 posts
998 upvotes
Montreal
one word. HELL

Was at shoppers tonight to buy my milk with 2 of my gc (one had a balance of 24 cents and the other around 65$)

I was shocked that the cashier told me that the balance of each card had to be transfered to another gc with a scratching nip.
She told me they had to do this since early this week,

First card with 24 cents went smoothly. The other one with 65$ never worked.

I had to call customer service MYSELF using there own phone. Finally the guy over the phone told the lady to make me a new 65$ gc and take my old gc and send it by mail to an adress in north york ontario...

SUCH A HUGE HASSLE. Waster over 40 min on this and I still have around 7-8 gc at from last weeks 8000 points promotion to transfer.
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Nov 19, 2009
424 posts
103 upvotes
Windsor
Curiously, I gave somebody one of my gift cards to use on the weekend, but they were apparently told by the cashier it wasn't active. This was an old card, purchased a year ago and while I normally keep all my activation receipts, I had just thrown it out. Now I'm wondering this has something to do with it. If so, what a colossully dumb thing for them to do.
Nov 26, 2015
365 posts
193 upvotes
Does it mean i need to scratch off the back so that I can use it? I have $200 and I attempted to use it last week with no success.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
ram77 wrote: Curiously, I gave somebody one of my gift cards to use on the weekend, but they were apparently told by the cashier it wasn't active. This was an old card, purchased a year ago and while I normally keep all my activation receipts, I had just thrown it out. Now I'm wondering this has something to do with it. If so, what a colossully dumb thing for them to do.
Possibly, but it would look better as you, the owner, call Shoppers and try to figure this out. If it's from a year ago, it probably has no scratch part, which is now needed, so put two and two together, and we have "Not active" ...
Wrong wording but bad cashier could have just come up with that ...

It's sort of a customer service issue now, gotta call them and figure it out.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Jan 30, 2013
278 posts
104 upvotes
ram77 wrote: Curiously, I gave somebody one of my gift cards to use on the weekend, but they were apparently told by the cashier it wasn't active. This was an old card, purchased a year ago and while I normally keep all my activation receipts, I had just thrown it out. Now I'm wondering this has something to do with it. If so, what a colossully dumb thing for them to do.
Cal the Shoppers Drug Mart for balance inquiries on gift cards 18009745399
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20816 posts
8322 upvotes
Toronto
Sherlock115 wrote: Cal the Shoppers Drug Mart for balance inquiries on gift cards 18009745399
Yes, they can give you a history of the card as well. So, whether it was truly ever "activated" on the date you purchased it or what exactly has gone on.
"I think my card has stopped working" and go from there.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Nov 26, 2015
365 posts
193 upvotes
So recently I went to a location and they told me that they have to transfer the balance to a new card. Took me 5 minutes for 2 cards. The cashier had to remove the pin at the back. But the swipe for the new card still does not work.