• Apr 2nd, 2020 10:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3391 posts
1196 upvotes
Woodbridge

Using iPad or Android Phone as Windows 10 Webcam

Hey all - I'm wondering if anybody has experience with a reliable app that allows you to use your iPad or Android device (either or both, I don't care) as your Windows 10 laptop. The webcam on my Acer Swift 3 is hit and miss. It worked fine for a 1-hour staff meeting on Monday and then suddenly it couldn't be found. Later, it was very blurry. Then it worked for a bit, and suddenly it's got a bunch of horizontal lines and it's freezing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and checked for updated drivers but to no avail. Unless anybody has any other troubleshooting ideas, I need to find an alternative.

I tried iVCam yesterday but it felt clunky and I had issues with rotating and flipping the image. I've heard of EpocCam but haven't given it a shot yet. I'm sure there are several free options out there but I'm hoping to find a recommendation from someone that has found a safe and reliable solution. Thanks so much!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just install the app on your tablet and just do your meeting on your tablet? If you use Microsoft Teams for your meetings then just install Teams on your tablet. Don't go through your laptop.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3391 posts
1196 upvotes
Woodbridge
ds2chan wrote: Why not just install the app on your tablet and just do your meeting on your tablet? If you use Microsoft Teams for your meetings then just install Teams on your tablet. Don't go through your laptop.
That's an option in a pinch. We're using GoToMeeting for staff meetings and I'm using Google Meet with my students so both are fine on the iPad. The problem is that I'd like to able to use text chat during the meeting as well and for that I'd want a keyboard. I suppose I could enter the meeting twice, once on my laptop and once on my tablet... use the iPad for the video and use my laptop to type.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: That's an option in a pinch. We're using GoToMeeting for staff meetings and I'm using Google Meet with my students so both are fine on the iPad. The problem is that I'd like to able to use text chat during the meeting as well and for that I'd want a keyboard. I suppose I could enter the meeting twice, once on my laptop and once on my tablet... use the iPad for the video and use my laptop to type.
If typing is the only issue then maybe look around and see if you can get a bluetooth keyboard.

Logging in twice is also a good idea. Just remember to mute your microphone and disable your webcam on your Acer laptop so that you don't get feedback (since you will be using the camera, speaker, and mic on your iPad or Android tablet).

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3391 posts
1196 upvotes
Woodbridge
ds2chan wrote: If typing is the only issue then maybe look around and see if you can get a bluetooth keyboard.

Logging in twice is also a good idea. Just remember to mute your microphone and disable your webcam on your Acer laptop so that you don't get feedback (since you will be using the camera, speaker, and mic on your iPad or Android tablet).
Yeah, why didn't I think of that? It's probably a lot easier to find a bt keyboard than a webcam nowadays. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: Yeah, why didn't I think of that? It's probably a lot easier to find a bt keyboard than a webcam nowadays. Thanks!
Depending on your budget I found that the Logitech K380 is really good. I had bought it for $25 before. I didn't realize the original price is $50. Crazy.

The Logitech K480 looks like the same keyboard but with a slot for a tablet.

It makes it so easy to type out Whatsapp messages, texts, and emails.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3391 posts
1196 upvotes
Woodbridge
ds2chan wrote: Depending on your budget I found that the Logitech K380 is really good. I had bought it for $25 before. I didn't realize the original price is $50. Crazy.

The Logitech K480 looks like the same keyboard but with a slot for a tablet.

It makes it so easy to type out Whatsapp messages, texts, and emails.
Thanks! I need to go to Costco later today to grab some things and I'm almost certain they have a Logitech keyboard+mouse combo there. If not, I'll take a look at the BB ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: Thanks! I need to go to Costco later today to grab some things and I'm almost certain they have a Logitech keyboard+mouse combo there. If not, I'll take a look at the BB ones.
No problem. Good luck in your hunt. Just don't forget that you need bluetooth.

One good thing about the 2 Logitech keyboards is that you can connect via bluetooth to up to 3 devices. So, you can switch back and forth between your phone, your tablet, and somebody else's device at the press of a button.