Computers & Electronics

Using old Rogers CGN3 router as a repeater?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2020 9:17 pm
Tags:
Mar 1, 2016
165 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Using old Rogers CGN3 router as a repeater?

Hello all,
We recently got a router upgrade from Rogers. Due to the layout of our apartment, there is very poor wifi signal in the master bedroom. I wanted to use the old Rogers Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem as a wifi repeater in the bedroom by running a Cat5 cable from the new router to the old one. I checked out a few how-to videos online such as this one, and it seems pretty straight forward. Unfortunately, after performing a hard reset on the old router and attempting to log in via 192.168.0.1, I am met with the Rogers Easy Connect page and not the router login screen. I've done some searching online and I can't seem to find a way to bypass this.

My guess is that Rogers does not want us using old routers as repeaters, and we'll need to contact them in order to set this up (and likely have to pay for a second router rental?). Figured I would ask here in case anyone more tech savvy than I might have a work around to access the old router and turn it into a bridge/repeater. Thanks!
RFD Effect: Fido 20GB $39 ➡ ThinkPad E570 i7-7500U $651.20 ➡ Seiko 5 Men's Automatic $56.33 ➡ Brother DCP-L2520DW $79.99 ➡ Walls Cotton Duck Jacket $17.27 ➡ Black&Decker 20V Drill+Impact $37.25 ➡ Outdoor Research Men's Snowcrew Jacket $107.50
1 reply
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
u sure u weren't suppose to return that old modem/router to rogers i don't think rogers sells modems anymore they forced the rental fee into the monthly fee to get around people buying out the modems. either way don't matter witch rogers modem u have all the built in routers are trash anyway. ud be better off getting your own router and having rogers put the modem in bridge mode to bypass the built in router.