Dec 26, 2014
6503 posts
6794 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Chapters/Indigo still haven't even reopened their call-in line lol
Apr 4, 2017
582 posts
458 upvotes
pialshgiml87 wrote: From my point of view, at this point, its just an excuse. It's been almost 3 months that companies have had to sort things out. If they haven't put the time/resources to fix things, that just means its not a priority for them. That is fine, but just dont give me the COVID excuse instead of saying what things actually are.

Thanks to rfd, I've been choosing to spend my money at retailers that have been able to adjust to the situation.
For me the only retailer who has been able to adjust has been Amazon.ca. True they had their issues, but have been able to still deliver and follow through.

The worst offenders seems to be Ikea, Home Depot, Sport Check and any grocery pick up or delivery service.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
mikebc wrote: it's challenging in normal times when the government isn't paying people to sit at home at a similar wage than they would by actually finding a new job.
That's a big problem in it's own rights.

The fact that so many people are making less than that amount is a problem.

And it doesn't help with the 75% wage either because people working anything less than 40 hours a week at $15 an hour will be making less on the wage subsidy than they would on CERB. That's the problem right there.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2407 posts
1653 upvotes
Yeap, Im dealing with a company right now who's dragging their feet just for a SMALL change in my order theyve said is already fixed but it isn't. Now they're blaming me for this and that (?) If they hasnt Fd up in the 1st place I wouldnt be bombarding them with emails.

This COVID excuse is tired. If you need more staff there's a ton of people out there looking for jobs PT/FT.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2946 posts
2734 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
I just wish my Canada Post packages would stop ending up in the purgatory that is the Mississauga sorting centre.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
Rogers is another company using the virus as an excuse.

They refuse to upgrade customers because they claim technicians need to enter your house.

New customers can enjoy contactless delivery, upgraded services and better prices than current customers.

Nice try/excuse Rogers. Even Bell said they can send technicians into your house during the setup process IF NECESSARY.
Dec 4, 2017
422 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
I had a friend who also said Rogers isn't dispatching technicians for on site support.

Last month, I had chatted with Bell online, ultimately Bell dispatched a technician next day to troubleshoot my parent's Fibe TV issue. Technician asked a health questionnaire, had mask on, troubleshooted it was faulty A/C adapter, replaced it and we were good.

Telco companies have the upper hand right now, they know people are staying at home, barely any discount on internet and TV packages. On the other hand, my cell phone plan isn't getting much data usage as we're home more often, but cell phones are locked in 2 years contracts, so always win-win for Bell/Rogers.
dxbender wrote: Rogers is another company using the virus as an excuse.

They refuse to upgrade customers because they claim technicians need to enter your house.

New customers can enjoy contactless delivery, upgraded services and better prices than current customers.

Nice try/excuse Rogers. Even Bell said they can send technicians into your house during the setup process IF NECESSARY.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
sunnykw2305 wrote: I had a friend who also said Rogers isn't dispatching technicians for on site support.

Last month, I had chatted with Bell online, ultimately Bell dispatched a technician next day to troubleshoot my parent's Fibe TV issue. Technician asked a health questionnaire, had mask on, troubleshooted it was faulty A/C adapter, replaced it and we were good.

Telco companies have the upper hand right now, they know people are staying at home, barely any discount on internet and TV packages. On the other hand, my cell phone plan isn't getting much data usage as we're home more often, but cell phones are locked in 2 years contracts, so always win-win for Bell/Rogers.
Irony here is that not being allowed into houses did help me in this case too.

I had some issues with my connection, I asked Rogers about it and they sent someone over. Rather than someone coming in my house and pointing fingers at everything in my house which could be the cause of the problem, they actually just checked the cables outside and found the problem. They (live chat agent) were confident that the connections outside were great, neighborhood was great, it's my house that's the problem. Had they been allowed inside, they'd never have found this problem.

I guess you win some and lose some.

But with stage 2 happening now, hopefully it means technicians are able to do the job fully and we can start seeing what deals come up.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3482 posts
1047 upvotes
Mars
dxbender wrote: Anyone else feel this way? Yes things are backed up and crazy, but I feel like many places are using the pandemic as an excuse as to the poor service right now.

Why is a website not working? Covid.

Why does it take days for customer service to respond to an email? Covid.

Why is shipping taking so long? Covid.

Yes, the pandemic has contributed to some problems, but theres many problems which have existed long before March. I feel companies are paying the price for not paying proper attention to certain areas of their business beforehand.

I've noticed how many Canadian retailers have had very poor ecommerce and customer service. The attention paid to their website was very poor, many never offer live chat CS, and their emails took days to respond back to. They never had a dedicated team to do any of these and its finally caught up to them. They shouldn't be blaming the virus, they should be blaming their own internal priorities.
for sure. especially those calling centres, what pandemic has to do with phone calls, even if it does, it's minimal comparing to other works.
May 4, 2017
169 posts
187 upvotes
Montreal
jacnel wrote: I just wish my Canada Post packages would stop ending up in the purgatory that is the Mississauga sorting centre.
Same with Montreal. My eBay package arrived in Montreal on May 19th, stayed there for a good 20 days, and recently got delivered. I called them, they had an automated message saying they can't take any more calls, and that I should try later.

I do order from Amazon quite a lot. Their estimated delivery time went all the way up to 12-14 days, but it actually never took them that long. One package I never received, as you can guess, was shipped with Canada Post.
Canada Computers (at least the downtown Montreal store) also didn't seem to be doing great. I made a pick up order (that 4800H ASUS), they called me 6 times in 2 days to tell me it's out of stock (I told them to cancel the order every time). 7th time they told me it's ready for pick up.
Also Canadian Tire's website was down back in March because of traffic.
Laptop: Gigabyte A5 X1 R9-5900HX/RTX3070/64GB
Desktop: i9-12900K/RTX3080/64GB
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13796 posts
17896 upvotes
Vancouver
Just watch. Pandemic measures that cost stores money (extra staff to enforce social distancing, limiting customers in stores, etc) will be the first to go. Measures that save them money (suspending bottle returns, no-cash policy, etc) will be the last to end and some of them might well become permanent. "Health and safety of our staff and customers" will be the reason given, but as always it's all about the money.
Apr 25, 2020
196 posts
62 upvotes
This pandemic may caused a lot of hassle, but we must also extend our understanding and patience. For instance, businesses who ship raw materials/supplies from other countries have longer shipping time due to Covid. This means longer time to re-stock inventory. When you buy from Amazon as an example, there is a surge in number of orders as some would prefer to buy items online than physically go to stores. Add up the social distancing measures and limited capacity. You would easily expect there are delays in order shipment.

Sometimes things happen beyond our control. Especially during this of pandemic who came out of the blue and disrupted our normal global business flow. I guess we just needed to adjust and it's not that easy to cope up with the headaches and delays caused by this trouble.

I guess the best thing to do is, let's all follow the health protocols and safety guidelines in order to stop the spread of Covid-19 so we will be back to living like the normal days again soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2946 posts
2734 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Kiraly wrote: Just watch. Pandemic measures that cost stores money (extra staff to enforce social distancing, limiting customers in stores, etc) will be the first to go. Measures that save them money (suspending bottle returns, no-cash policy, etc) will be the last to end and some of them might well become permanent. "Health and safety of our staff and customers" will be the reason given, but as always it's all about the money.
I mean just look at the free plastic bag situation, that was the first COVID-19 change to go coupled with the worker pay increase, both of which cost the companies money, whereas the no price matching policy continues at many stores.
Feb 3, 2019
222 posts
151 upvotes
GTA
jacnel wrote: I mean just look at the free plastic bag situation, that was the first COVID-19 change to go coupled with the worker pay increase, both of which cost the companies money, whereas the no price matching policy continues at many stores.
And some stores still not taking returns!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2946 posts
2734 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
pialshgiml87 wrote: And some stores still not taking returns!
Which is funny given that reusable bags are probably a better avenue for covid spread as they enter more stores and are cleaned rarely.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2241 posts
3441 upvotes
West
Was on hold with WestJet for 2.5 hours due to "a higher than expected volume of calls". Of course, finally got through to an agent, then my call dropped a few minutes in...

Back on hold for another 1.5 hours so far (even though their online wait time estimate is 3 minutes), and their contact centre is scheduled to close in 10 minutes.

What a waste of a night. You'd think in this day and age, almost everything would be able to be completed online.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
I feel like stores are using purchases as "interest free loans".

They know full well they don't have various items in stock, will take peoples money anyways, hold onto it for a while, and once they're no longer able to keep it, they send a cancellation notice on the item and refund the money.

Theres no way stores can hold onto people's money for weeks or months at a time without actually sending out the product or having some resolution beforehand.

And sadly, I'm sure some honestly forgot what they ordered at times, maybe not even realizing they should cancel an order, especially with everything going in right now, it's easy to get sidetracked.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
797 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
Nobody offering free shipping without high minimum amounts anymore, and now seems like pickup options take forever too.

I ordered an item from Mark's, chose pickup option since their free shipping is $100+, used the online coupon to save some money, but now I'm still waiting for the item. The store is open, not busy, and they have the item in stock, but it'll take them a week to even get the item ready for pickup? Is it really more complicated than getting an employee to go to the rack, get the item, set it aside for pickup?

Seem to be like "we're short staffed due to covid" excuse for why it takes so long. I can understand if the item had to come from another location, but its literally available in the store I'm picking it up from. The sale is over too, so I'm hoping they don't cancel for no reason at all and hope I just pay full price.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20856 posts
19119 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
dxbender wrote: Nobody offering free shipping without high minimum amounts anymore, and now seems like pickup options take forever too.

I ordered an item from Mark's, chose pickup option since their free shipping is $100+, used the online coupon to save some money, but now I'm still waiting for the item. The store is open, not busy, and they have the item in stock, but it'll take them a week to even get the item ready for pickup? Is it really more complicated than getting an employee to go to the rack, get the item, set it aside for pickup?

Seem to be like "we're short staffed due to covid" excuse for why it takes so long. I can understand if the item had to come from another location, but its literally available in the store I'm picking it up from. The sale is over too, so I'm hoping they don't cancel for no reason at all and hope I just pay full price.
Are you 100% sure the item you want is actually IN STOCK at that particular store ?

Marks uses a NO WAREHOUSE method of fulfilling their orders

So if you order online, with SHIP TO HOME the item(s) can come to you from ANYWHERE in Canada that the item can be found in a store

RFDers often laugh about this ... you place ONE order online for 5 things ... and they’ll arrive at your door from 5 different places in Canada
Depending where the item is in stock in the SIZE & COLOUR you want
(Always fun to online track Marks Orders for this reason ... lol race to the finish which one will get to your door first)

If you are using SHIP TO STORE ... or INSTORE PICK UP
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s the same thing

They don’t want to miss selling Item ABC to you ... so they tell you it’s in stock and available for pickup on a particular day
When they know by then it will have reached the store from whatever other store in Canada it was previously assigned to

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)