Using PCIe riser to use empty slots on mATX board

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 3:27 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes

Using PCIe riser to use empty slots on mATX board

I have a mATX board in a Full ATX case, and am looking to add more SATA ports.
my graphics card basically covers all my slots, so I'm looking to get a riser/extender so I can put the SATA expansion card (PCIe 1x) in one of the blank case slots.

Basically I want to do this:

So looking around I can find a lot of these:
which would suit my needs, but i need the connector to be at right angle - otherwise it wont fit and I cannot mount it in a case

Which then leads me to something like this:
Which seem to be used to cryto mining, would this do the trick? Is this actually a USB interface or is the cable a cheap/common stand in cable instead of using the ribbon cable?
Is there a performance hit or compatibility issues by doing this instead of just having a 1 to 1 lead like the full ribbon cable does?
Last edited by JustinZ on Jan 1st, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
The USB cable is basically the "data" cable that links the slot from your motherboard to the riser I believe. You plug the little one on the right side into your mobo, and link it to the bigger one via USB You'll need to power it too with a SATA power plug I think. The miners should be able to tell you exactly
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes
coilz wrote: The USB cable is basically the "data" cable that links the slot from your motherboard to the riser I believe. You plug the little one on the right side into your mobo, and link it to the bigger one via USB You'll need to power it too with a SATA power plug I think. The miners should be able to tell you exactly
Sorry i shouldve been more clear...
Im wondering why they are using a usb cable there instead of having a 1-to-1 connection like the ribbon cable does

is there a performance hit by doing this? and will this even work for my use case
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes
It didnt occur to me at first that I could just buy a right angle adapter at the end
so I ended up getting the ribbon + this:
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
I could be wrong, but from what I have read on various mining sub-reddits is that miners prefer the USB ones with external power supply because mining puts more strain on motherboard, and there were some instances of ribbon cables catching fires.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
If you are not picky about the transfer rate, those PCI-E extension using USB cable as bridge actually will work just fine. The performance hit shouldn't be huge. It is still remarkably close to PCI-E 1x. Just a little more latency where any SATA drive shouldn't notice.

As you imagined, it is just using the USB cable as a common stand-in bridge cable. However, you need extra power plug for the PCI-E extension.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)