Students

Using rental property(not primary residence) address to send kids to school

[OP]
Mar 17, 2012
159 posts
49 upvotes
OTTAWA

Using rental property(not primary residence) address to send kids to school

I live in Ottawa, ON. Is it possible to send kids to school with your rental property address given that we have two properties.
Our problem is that schools are good in the old neighborhood. We are thinking of moving to a new residence but would like to send our kids to schools in the boundary of the older property which we plan to rent out.

Please help me with this dilemma as we have to decide whether we rent out or sell the older property. Any similar experience or suggestions with regard to this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20855 posts
19107 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Short answer = NO

The schools within your geographic district boundaries based on your HOME ADDRESS / MAIN RESIDENCE is where kids are supposed to go

Getting a Cross Boundary Transfer has a definitive set of rules … on what is an acceptable reason

You are in Ottawa … so here is the info

OCDSB = https://weblink.ocdsb.ca/WebLink/0/edoc ... nsfers.pdf

And the OCB = https://www.ocsb.ca/our-schools/boundaries/

If you are in one of the French Language Boards … they have similar docs

My best advice

1- Like the schools … stay put. Don’t move. Or find a new house within the same school boundary zone

2- Look for your new home in an area where you like the schools also

3- Lol … send your kids to Private School $$$$$ … they don’t care where you live Upside-down Face
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12326 posts
11134 upvotes
You can do it ... I personally know someone using a relatives address to get around the rule.

They dont know or do a physical check or anything. I dont advocate to lie but yes it can be done.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8431 posts
2081 upvotes
It's not just using the address at your second property, but everything with it needs to make sense.

What do you do if they check your ID and it doesnt match? change it?
-Then your car insurance won't match either?
-and if you bundle the home insurance, why is your car and home address different? Is the home now no longer your primary residence?

Big can of worms if you ask me.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1556 posts
889 upvotes
Is it possible without issue? Yes. Legitimately/Within most school board rules? No.
cybersitter wrote: I live in Ottawa, ON. Is it possible to send kids to school with your rental property address given that we have two properties.
Our problem is that schools are good in the old neighborhood. We are thinking of moving to a new residence but would like to send our kids to schools in the boundary of the older property which we plan to rent out.

Please help me with this dilemma as we have to decide whether we rent out or sell the older property. Any similar experience or suggestions with regard to this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20855 posts
19107 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sanyo wrote: You can do it ... I personally know someone using a relatives address to get around the rule.

They dont know or do a physical check or anything. I dont advocate to lie but yes it can be done.
They DO CHECK if you are a Separate School (Catholic) Board Supporter
Your Taxes & School District / Home Address and where your kid is enrolled for sure matters then
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12326 posts
11134 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: They DO CHECK if you are a Separate School (Catholic) Board Supporter
Your Taxes & School District / Home Address and where your kid is enrolled for sure matters then
I’m talking public school. Don’t know or could care less about catholic school system but I’d be surprised how they check... make a fake rental agreement
Sep 11, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
of course they don't check. there are people who will use friends, cousins, even coworkers addresses. its a lot more common in toronto though, people move around so much here already