• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 1:40 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2015
419 posts
479 upvotes
King City

Using a Vanilla Visa Card in Stores

I have a $75 Vanilla Visa Card that I got as a gift. I went in stores to buy something today and I tried to use the card to pay but they (Home Depot) declined it. They refused to take the Visa gift card as a payment method.

The way I understand it, this is like any other Visa card.

Thoughts?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5486 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
TheSheldor wrote: I have a $75 Vanilla Visa Card that I got as a gift. I went in stores to buy something today and I tried to use the card to pay but they (Home Depot) declined it. They refused to take the Visa gift card as a payment method.

The way I understand it, this is like any other Visa card.

Thoughts?
Very weird. Did you ask why? The only thing I can think of is that people buy Visa GC with stolen credit cards.

They shouldn't deny you though.
May 28, 2012
11092 posts
3242 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've heard about people having problems with these Visa cards...the cashier has to key in the exact value remaining on the card. You could ask at HD customer service to see why it's not going through...who knows, it could be because they've had fraudulent activity with these cards.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2015
419 posts
479 upvotes
King City
Oh sorry. I probably should clarify. They declined to accept it at all. They didn't even try to use it. They just told me they can't take it
Jul 5, 2013
967 posts
1483 upvotes
Saint John
Do they accept visa credit cards?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15251 posts
12413 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Use it for on-line purchases, this is where Pre-loaded CCs do their best work
[OP]
Mar 3, 2015
419 posts
479 upvotes
King City
demon1102 wrote: Do they accept visa credit cards?
Its Home Depot. They do. They told me their machines don't accept Visa Gift Cards, and so I pointed out that they work just like Visa Credit Cards (which I know for a fact that they do take as I've been shopping at this Home Depot for the last decade). I pulled out my Visa Credit Card and asked if they took that to which this employee said no as well.

I posted this earlier but between then and now. I've talked to a manager who also said no but then a different cashier actually told both the manager and the other employee that "its doable and is actually very easy"

Turns out I was just dealing with some very incompetent employees. Thank you for all the responses though! :)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
LOL.

BUT ... it looks like this guy didn't even TRY though ... they "told" him it wasn't accepted, and his normal Visa wasn't accepted either :)
TheSheldor wrote: Oh sorry. I probably should clarify. They declined to accept it at all. They didn't even try to use it. They just told me they can't take it
TheSheldor wrote:
Its Home Depot. They do. They told me their machines don't accept Visa Gift Cards, and so I pointed out that they work just like Visa Credit Cards (which I know for a fact that they do take as I've been shopping at this Home Depot for the last decade). I pulled out my Visa Credit Card and asked if they took that to which this employee said no as well.

I posted this earlier but between then and now. I've talked to a manager who also said no but then a different cashier actually told both the manager and the other employee that "its doable and is actually very easy"

Turns out I was just dealing with some very incompetent employees. Thank you for all the responses though! :)
LOL.

But ya, I'm not saying a retailer could technically also reject it and only online ones would reject it (continuing discussion from prepaid cards thread) ... just pointing out that your post was only regarding online merchants that you encountered.

If OP had just said "Visa" and then used it himself on the machine instead of 'asking permission' it may have actually worked. Most places are self-serve with the terminal now so the teller shouldn't even see your card.
Prepaid swipe-only may be a different story if they ask to see your sig, but even then many places you 'sign' on the terminal.

Perhaps the teller knows what they are talking about and knows that their system would have rejected the prepaid card ... or perhaps they don't.
I've had several tellers tell me they don't take Amex, but it works just fine when I try it anyways. In a few cases you just have to say "Visa" and then use Amex :D
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jun 25, 2013
3 posts
Toronto
It is severe distinct They didn't accept it whatever day reason might have been na drini valid. Yes of course a prepaid credit card can be found or stolen so can cash be stolen or found. Do they accept cash of course they do.
If that happens to me I would take it up there but to their highest supervisor in the store and make a huge complaint out of it. The carts Warwick exactly the same as any other credit card except you may have to sign for it. Is Home Depot at one location is not accepting prepaid cards it may be a Home Depot wide policy but if that's not the case they should have accepted it
Feb 25, 2008
357 posts
19 upvotes
The cashiers have to be educated on how to deal with prepaid cards. If they accept regular credit cards then should accept prepaid credit cards. You can not charge a prepaid card for more then what the current balance is. If they try, it will be declined every time. It is up to the customer to tell the cashier to charge the prepaid credit card the balance amount and you will pay the remaining in a different way .
Mar 20, 2011
301 posts
211 upvotes
Langley, BC
bbk1674 wrote: It is severe distinct They didn't accept it whatever day reason might have been na drini valid. Yes of course a prepaid credit card can be found or stolen so can cash be stolen or found. Do they accept cash of course they do.
If that happens to me I would take it up there but to their highest supervisor in the store and make a huge complaint out of it. The carts Warwick exactly the same as any other credit card except you may have to sign for it. Is Home Depot at one location is not accepting prepaid cards it may be a Home Depot wide policy but if that's not the case they should have accepted it
Why have you bumped a thread from 2017?