'utilities' for a student in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2005 8:05 am
Apr 24, 2003
290 posts
1 upvote
toronto, canada

'utilities' for a student in Toronto?

So I'm looking at moving downtown (Toronto) with a friend of mine during the school year... How much should we expect "utilities" to be for a two bedroom apartment, if they're not included in the rent?

thanks!

new question: How annoying (again, from a student perspective)/ how much of a hassle is it to sublet during the summer? To this point, we've been putting places with 12 month leases very low on our list because it seems like month-to-month (or an 8 or 9 motnh lease, though those seem pretty rare) would just be a lot easier. Then again, this is downtown Toronto, and we're looking for a place that would probably be close to UofT, Ryerson, etc.

thanks again for the input!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
$200/month (water, gas, electricity)
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
Around $200 in winter, $100 or so in summer. Don't forget about telephone and Internet too.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11802 posts
620 upvotes
B40 wrote:Around $200 in winter, $100 or so in summer. Don't forget about telephone and Internet too.
Does $100 include A/C?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:$200/month (water, gas, electricity)
Damn thats a lot for 2 people.

I'm guessing more like $50 a month. But i think hydro comes every 2-3 months? I'm not sure.
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
1 upvote
aquariaguy wrote:Damn thats a lot for 2 people.

I'm guessing more like $50 a month. But i think hydro comes every 2-3 months? I'm not sure.
We pay $400 a month for three people.Its a house but not that big.
Apr 24, 2003
290 posts
1 upvote
toronto, canada
We had figured $75-100 for each of us, so I guess that fits in with what you guys are saying. thanks for hte input! now I have another rental related question...

How annoying (again, from a student perspective)/ how much of a hassle is it to sublet during the summer? To this point, we've been putting places with 12 month leases very low on our list because it seems like month-to-month (or an 8 or 9 motnh lease, though those seem pretty rare) would just be a lot easier. Then again, this is downtown Toronto, and we're looking for a place that would probably be close to UofT, Ryerson, etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
mbg wrote:Does $100 include A/C?
No. That's why winter is 2x as expensive. What student can afford AC anyways? Even at 30 degrees plus, all I had was a $10 Walmart fan :(

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
Live at 9 Albany Road in the Annex. Its $550 for studio apartment including utilities. If you don't mind space move there with roomie and save $$$. Thats if you are going to U of T though
Apr 24, 2003
290 posts
1 upvote
toronto, canada
err, I google mapped "9 albany road" and it found a place at Steeles/Keele... definitely not in the Annex??

we're looking for a 2 bedroom place, not a studio unfortunately...
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
It's not too hard to find sublets in the summer, but you'll generally have to put it up for 50% of the regular rate.

Aug 18, 2004
257 posts
i saw a 1 bedroom condo on carleton/colleage last time, which was 20min from UofT and 5min from Ryerson, i didn't go in though, but if you're students sharing, someone could just take the living room, they're price with $1000 all inclusive, and no, i don't work for them :D
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
q_hada wrote:err, I google mapped "9 albany road" and it found a place at Steeles/Keele... definitely not in the Annex??

we're looking for a 2 bedroom place, not a studio unfortunately...
Let me see if you want AC and utilities included. Try 20 Prince Arthur near U of T and St George Station. If you want very cheap 2 bedroom apartments with utilities included you might as well live in North St. Jamestown (Bloor and Parliament)

WTF? Google is screwed. 9 Albany is at Bathrust and Bloor near Mirvish Village

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)