Students

UTSC final exam defer.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2010 9:30 pm
Sep 14, 2009
338 posts
10 upvotes

UTSC final exam defer.

i admit i did not spend enough time studying for my final exam which is in 2 days.
not due to sickness or funeral or whatever.
i simply just want to defer it and write at another time rather than risking it.
i've never deferred an exam in my three years studying at utsc.
i read some info about it. is it true that utsc student do not have to show any proofs.
what is my chance of receiving a request approval.
thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
I think they changed the policy again. Last year you just had to pay the deferral fee (like $70) and it'd be deferred. From what I understand, they changed it this year. Go to the registrar's website and you should find the information you need.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Sep 14, 2009
338 posts
10 upvotes
flexwong wrote: I think they changed the policy again. Last year you just had to pay the deferral fee (like $70) and it'd be deferred. From what I understand, they changed it this year. Go to the registrar's website and you should find the information you need.
Effective for the 2010 Summer session, the policy concering missed final examinations will change. The current policy will continue to apply to April 2010 final examination period.
not yet =)
however. i just read some info about defer exams. i dont' quite understand what this mean:
If, even with a notation of SDF(standing deferred) for the course, you are placed on academic suspension you will not be permitted to take courses in the next session.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
I have deferred an exam in the past and you are correct: you do not need to show any proof.

So this is essentially what happens:
1) Your grade gets posted on ROSI (final exam not included) so it will probably be below 50.
2) After the registrar's office has confirmed you have paid $70 and did not show up for the exam, they will assign you SDF, and the mark for that course is not longer part of your GPA.
3) The course status will stay SDF until you have written your deferred exam.
4) After you have written the deferred exam, SDF will be replaced with your final mark in the course and is included in your GPA.

The part that you quoted is essentially saying this:
If your cGPA is below 1.60 and one of your courses is SDF, you will still be on academic suspension regardless how well you are doing in that course (e.g. 4.0)
Feb 17, 2010
997 posts
38 upvotes
okevino wrote: i admit i did not spend enough time studying for my final exam which is in 2 days.
not due to sickness or funeral or whatever.
Coming here with this attitude has rewarded you with some helpful replies. Unlike other people who come here all high and mighty and, well, you get the idea.

Just wanna say good luck with your other exams (if you have any left), and with the one in question (which you will probably write at a later date if you follow-through with your intentions).