• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2017 1:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1622 posts
293 upvotes
JustBob wrote: After reading Oscar11's post, I did some reading on X2300 vs X3300. The X2300 would have been fine for my needs except that it doesn't have main zone pre-outs. So it's back to X3300 or SR-5011 for me, and since it looks like we're not going to get B stock price drop for BF, I'll probably just wait.
for those who have been watching these b stock receivers.. have the prices been relatively stable?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1335 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Denon receiver from a number of years ago, and I'm looking for a new replacement receiver. While I like the sound it produces, I hated their interface for setting up (looks like something out of the 1980s). This alone is enough to put me off buying Denon again. Do the new Denon receivers still the same ugly and navigation nightmare as before? Which brand has the most user friendly user interface for setup?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2256 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
I’m also in the market for a new receiver. Keeping an eye on this thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4923 posts
869 upvotes
Oscar11 wrote: for those who have been watching these b stock receivers.. have the prices been relatively stable?
Yeah, they seem to be pretty stable. $699 for the X3300W and the SR-5011 is the standard B stock price for these models.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1622 posts
293 upvotes
JustBob wrote: Yeah, they seem to be pretty stable. $699 for the X3300W and the SR-5011 is the standard B stock price for these models.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold for now.. new theatre room won't be ready for a few month anyway. We'll see what cyber Monday / Boxing Day sales are.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2833 posts
239 upvotes
Any entry level receiver deals?

Nothing more than 5.1 really needed. 4k with HDR would be ideal for future proofing purposes.

Thank you.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Dec 23, 2001
699 posts
48 upvotes
I pulled the trigger on the X4400H after talking myself out of it lol. The first time I was shopping around, I didn't see it on Amazon, but I noticed 3 left in stock at 1299, plus I realized I had $270 in gift cards to use up + ebates cash back & Amazon visa cash back... it called to me.

Thanks flaky Pioneer Elite wannabe! Time to step up to a real receiver :)
Heat: 159-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4923 posts
869 upvotes
jadoocian wrote: Any entry level receiver deals?

Nothing more than 5.1 really needed. 4k with HDR would be ideal for future proofing purposes.

Thank you.
The highest rated "budget receiver" (under $500 USD) is the Sony STR-DN1080. It was $499 ($200 off) at BB and Visions but I don't think there's any stock left. If you check Sony.ca also has it for $499 and if you click "where to buy", you'll get this page:

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/av-re ... dn1080/buy

Which redirects you here:

https://www.shopgentec.ca/p/7-2-channel ... v-receiver

P.S. Of course, some might argue that $500 isn't really entry level. :)
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
jadoocian wrote: Any entry level receiver deals?

Thank you.
Not that I don't agree with you in terms of looking for 4K/HDR avr but we all know you can't really future proof with how fast technology keeps advancing. I predict the home entertainment landscape will have another major overhaul in 5yrs. Look how much it has changed in the last 5 yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 5, 2008
697 posts
218 upvotes
CANADA
kukkudo wrote: Found out that London Drugs has the Onkyo 7.2 TXNR757 for $499.99 (regularly $999.99) and Best Buy in store had the same model for $999.97. Thoughts?

https://www.londondrugs.com/onkyo-7.2-c ... 45213.html
I was considering this Onkyo vs the X3300W and I found that one of the big differences that made me stay with the X3300W is the fact that the Onkyo doesn't have Audyssey MultEQ system (basically calibrates your room with 8 mic positions and drastically improves sound).

Aside from that, the Onkyo specs are really impressive when compared against $/value. There's a decent discussion on the comparison here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... i-get.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4923 posts
869 upvotes
After further research, I'll probably go with the Sony STR-DN1080. Reviews are impressive (consistently ranks as the best sub $500 USD receiver), it has all the connectivity/bells and whistles one would need, and the current $499 price (BB, Amazon,...) is a historical low. It doesn't have pre-outs, but since I plan to eventually sell my amp and downsize all my speakers, it would be a bit silly to pay for a feature I'd only be using for a short time. Plus at 130w/channel (best in category), it has enough juice to power my existing speakers. The only thing it lacks is a phono input, but I don't need that. The lack of Audyssey EQ is not that big a deal to me since it looks like Sony’s improved DCAC EX calibration does a good job. Here's a couple of reviews:

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... ver-review

I do however have a question if someone can help:

The 2nd review (page 2) mentions this issue:
Here I learned (though only in a footnote) that the receiver’s upscaling operates only upon 1080p/24. So when I set the Oppo to force 1080p/24 output, the Sony upscaled it to 4K as promised—but since my set-top box’s sole 1080p option is fixed to 60 Hz, that one remained a no-go.
But an AVS user said this:
"Since the HDMI in VIDEO 1 jack does not support video formats such as 4k/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4k/60p 4:2:0 10 bit, you cannot set the HDMI signal format." Also in the HDMI specs on p62, there's an asterisk for 4k/60p and 4k/50p: "* VIDEO 1 supports YCbCR 4:2:0 8 bit only"
There are 6 HDMI in. It seems only VIDEO 1 has these limitations. Is it possible the guy in the review was unaware of this, and plugged his set top box in VIDEO 1 without trying the other HDMI ports? Or are they talking about two unrelated things?
Feb 5, 2008
697 posts
218 upvotes
CANADA
JustBob wrote: After further research, I'll probably go with the Sony STR-DN1080. Reviews are impressive (consistently ranks as the best sub $500 USD receiver), it has all the connectivity/bells and whistles one would need, and the current $499 price (BB, Amazon,...) is a historical low. It doesn't have pre-outs, but since I plan to eventually sell my amp and downsize all my speakers, it would be a bit silly to pay for a feature I'd only be using for a short time. Plus at 130w/channel (best in category), it has enough juice to power my existing speakers. The only thing it lacks is a phono input, but I don't need that. The lack of Audyssey EQ is not that big a deal to me since it looks like Sony’s improved DCAC EX calibration does a good job. Here's a couple of reviews:

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... ver-review

I do however have a question if someone can help:

The 2nd review (page 2) mentions this issue:

But an AVS user said this:

There are 6 HDMI in. It seems only VIDEO 1 has these limitations. Is it possible the guy in the review was unaware of this, and plugged his set top box in VIDEO 1 without trying the other HDMI ports? Or are they talking about two unrelated things?
That's an interesting find, and the issue you're talking about isn't the first time I've heard it, too. In the Onkyo TXNR757, it upscales content that is only 1080p, all others will be passed through. I don't think it was port specific, however.
Sep 26, 2007
365 posts
53 upvotes
Invincible wrote: I pulled the trigger on the X4400H after talking myself out of it lol. The first time I was shopping around, I didn't see it on Amazon, but I noticed 3 left in stock at 1299, plus I realized I had $270 in gift cards to use up + ebates cash back & Amazon visa cash back... it called to me.

Thanks flaky Pioneer Elite wannabe! Time to step up to a real receiver :)
Im looking at getting the same model. What were you comparing the X4400H to when shopping and why did you go with this model?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)