• Jun 25th, 2012 12:47 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 7, 2009
60 posts
3 upvotes

Vacation - expiration?

My work has a no-vacation until 1 year is up. I recently passed the 1 year mark and am eligible for 2 weeks.

Now, it says that we lose the vacation if we don't use in the year that we are suppose to use them. What does that mean? When can I use the 10 days that I get before I "lose" it? Thanks everybody!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
You won't actually lose it, they just don't want employees stock piling weeks upon weeks. It's a benefit provided to you as stipulated in the Employment Standards Act. You can take it whenever you want, provided operational requirements are met. Some companies end up paying out unused weeks, others allow weeks to roll over from year to year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5255 posts
3824 upvotes
Edmonton
Prehistory wrote: My work has a no-vacation until 1 year is up. I recently passed the 1 year mark and am eligible for 2 weeks.

Now, it says that we lose the vacation if we don't use in the year that we are suppose to use them. What does that mean? When can I use the 10 days that I get before I "lose" it? Thanks everybody!
What it means is... if you don't use your vacation, they will pay it out to you instead. Essentially, you "lose it" and get pay instead.

Basically your work is saying "Either use your vacation, or get paid for it. No carrying it over". Some work places allow employees to carry their vacation over, but many employers do not like this because it messes with their staffing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)