• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2021 1:56 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes

Vacation Timeshare

Hey Guys! Just signed up membership from Vitality Assurance Vacation recently. Anyone have experience with them? I’m trying to look in the net for reviews and couldn’t find much. Membership cost is 28k for 25 years and usage fee every year 1k +++.

It’s a point system in which we can use in exchange of hotel stays. We have such points every year and if we don’t use it will add up to the following year.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As attributed to the great PT Barnum
“There’s a sucker born every minute “

Guy would know ... Promoter of Hoaxes
King of the Side Show
And centre of the 3 Ring Circus

Honestly ... I don’t see why anyone would buy a timeshare
Especially something that runs for decades
Seriously ... people cannot predict what they’ll be doing next year for vacation
Let alone 25 years from now

I know ... it all sounds good at the time
As the salesperson juggles the stories
And makes your money disappear

But in reality, most people I know who have bought time shares say they end up being huge hassles
With maintenance / condo fees ... fees to book, fees to not book, fees to make other arrangements
And rarely do they pan out well in trade offs
Cuz ... EVERYONE seems to want to trade off
For somewhere else
ANYWHERE else than the place they’ve spent their money to be for the next 25 years

No thanks

I’ll just keep my money in the bank
And let it grow interest
So I can use it wherever my heart desires
When it does
Today, Tomorrow, Now, Later ... or Last Minute
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 12th, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6080 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Mryoso wrote: Hey Guys! Just signed up membership from Vitality Assurance Vacation recently. Anyone have experience with them? I’m trying to look in the net for reviews and couldn’t find much. Membership cost is 28k for 25 years and usage fee every year 1k +++.

It’s a point system in which we can use in exchange of hotel stays. We have such points every year and if we don’t use it will add up to the following year.
You already signed up, not sure what reviews are going to do for you now.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39769 upvotes
Toronto
Timeshares are like boats. It's nice when someone you know has one but never get one for yourself.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you have just signed up, there might be a cooling period where you can get out of it. I would.

Just look at how much timeshares go for on the secondary market. My wife and I went to a presentation. Only took us a minute of debate to say "no". Came home to check on resale (and this was way before the 2007-08 U.S. mortgage crisis) and found them for as low as 4¢ on the $. Best is to buy just before annual payments are due.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4113 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Most people live to regret decisions like this.

The ones that don't are the ones that don't really fully analyze the costs and benefits.
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: You already signed up, not sure what reviews are going to do for you now.
Just asking for opinion because we still have 10 days to cancel the membership as per the law. Just want to make sure if we make the right decision or not.
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: If you have just signed up, there might be a cooling period where you can get out of it. I would.

Just look at how much timeshares go for on the secondary market. My wife and I went to a presentation. Only took us a minute of debate to say "no". Came home to check on resale (and this was way before the 2007-08 U.S. mortgage crisis) and found them for as low as 4¢ on the $. Best is to buy just before annual payments are due.
Yes we have 10 days after we signed up to cancel the membership with full refund without any questions
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Mryoso wrote: Just asking for opinion because we still have 10 days to cancel the membership as per the law. Just want to make sure if we make the right decision or not.
Mryoso wrote: Yes we have 10 days after we signed up to cancel the membership with full refund without any questions
Take that option with due haste. Notify them by e-mail, phone call, signed courier, signed FedEx delivery receipt, registered mail/certified delivery. Whatever it takes, to get the notice in within 10 days.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not sure what you signed up for but this is what current resale is from a few random sites:

https://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/time ... timeshare/
http://www.secondaryownershipgroup.ca/i ... c=1&exec=Y

Not saying a timeshare won't work (best for people who like going to the same place and at the same time every year) but truth is you can probably get it much cheaper on the secondary market
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6080 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Mryoso wrote: Just asking for opinion because we still have 10 days to cancel the membership as per the law. Just want to make sure if we make the right decision or not.
Cancel. You paid too much compared to what’s available from people re-selling. See links from earlier post.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
Mryoso wrote: Yes we have 10 days after we signed up to cancel the membership with full refund without any questions
Cancel ASAP!! Don't even think about it, unless you will be enjoying vacationing at Whistler for 25 years. If you bought because you think you can trade for vacations all over the world think again. You have to join Timeshare exchange for annual fee and if your resort week doesn't have much in trade value you won't get much in terms of a trade for it if you put up for exchange.

If you like the resort experience you can just as easily get rooms at cheap prices on many timeshare resort rental sites where suckers who have bought one and now don't know what to do with it put it up for rent. Can't sell it and so they need to mitigate their annual resort fee losses by renting to whoever.
Jan 16, 2008
345 posts
137 upvotes
Chatham
Did you even win anything after sit thru some sort of 4hrs of presentation, at least? You must went thru some presentation some point correct? Seriously, avoid any timeshare like the current virus we encounter now.
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
MyLastWord wrote: Did you even win anything after sit thru some sort of 4hrs of presentation, at least? You must went thru some presentation some point correct? Seriously, avoid any timeshare like the current virus we encounter now.
Yeah they gave us 100$ for dining and upgrade us to a beautiful and spacious 2 bedroom suite. They said that they are fully booked and that’s the only room available. It’s much bigger than they showed us.

I’m guessing they just want us to feel that we made the right decision signing up the membership lol.

But good to know how bad timeshare is lol.
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
We already sent email to cancel our membership and received their automated reply. It means that our email is already in their system with date stamp so they cannot deny our cancellation of membership.

We tried to call them but was sent to voicemail so we just left message stating that we would like to cancel our membership.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4113 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Be prepared for the run-around. These guys would have been making a ton of money from you, so they won't give it up easy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6080 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Mryoso wrote: Yeah they gave us 100$ for dining and upgrade us to a beautiful and spacious 2 bedroom suite. They said that they are fully booked and that’s the only room available. It’s much bigger than they showed us.

I’m guessing they just want us to feel that we made the right decision signing up the membership lol.

But good to know how bad timeshare is lol.
The concept is fine, nothing wrong with timeshare. As with many things in life, it all depends on the price you pay! Also pretty important as with all real estate is location, location, location.

In your case you paid way too much for a B or C list destination.
Mar 13, 2012
350 posts
118 upvotes
Sarnia
Would also recommend sending a registered letter, even with the cost, to cancel, in case your email gets "lost" in their system.

The Collingwood BBB gives the company an A+ rating, though the company is not BBB accredited. Just read the reviews. Apparently user reviews don't count towards the BBB rating.

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/collingwood/p ... complaints
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: The concept is fine, nothing wrong with timeshare. As with many things in life, it all depends on the price you pay! Also pretty important as with all real estate is location, location, location.

In your case you paid way too much for a B or C list destination.
I’m thinking if anyone really like the idea of timeshare and don’t want to spend too much is to buy from guys selling their shares in the market with cheap price for the same package.
Aug 23, 2018
62 posts
53 upvotes
kellymisty wrote: Would also recommend sending a registered letter, even with the cost, to cancel, in case your email gets "lost" in their system.

The Collingwood BBB gives the company an A+ rating, though the company is not BBB accredited. Just read the reviews. Apparently user reviews don't count towards the BBB rating.

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/collingwood/p ... complaints
The manager replied to our email and confirmed our cancellation of membership. But still wanted to call us to discuss the procedure for cancellation.