Pets

Vacations and Pets - what do you do?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 12:55 am
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
swagwalk wrote: I feel there is a lot of things people don't think about before then jump in with both feet and get a pet (dog, cat, whatever). It's CUTE shouldn't be your primary reason for a getting a pet, or just because the kid(s) asked for it. Personally, I'm not a pet person as I can't stand the smell, licking, barking or the time as they don't fit into my lifestyle. I won't even date people with pets cos it will drive me crazy. There is a reason some people don't want kids (I love kids), and it's no different to not wanting pets.

This is akin to people that drive gas guzzlers and then complain about gas prices. Pet owners complaining about Vet fees....all this is self inflict.
Where did the OP state that the pets were acquired because they’re cute?

Nobody cares if you want/don’t want pets. Or kids. Or furniture. But do you find your reply helpful to the OP?
Feb 11, 2009
466 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I used to have friends who are cat lovers too and we lived close to each other. So we cat sit for each other on vacations.

Then we've both moved and lived further away. 3 years ago, I tried to get my husband's friend to cat sit for us when we took a 2 weeks trip to England... WRONG MOVE.
She likes cats. We even had her over a few times and she and my cats seemed to get along. On my day back from the trip... we found cat pee ALL OVER the front entrance with the front door mat soaking wet...
The place looked horrible...
Anyway. I think my older cat thought his space was invaded and was trying to protect it... And we ended up adding an extra litterbox at the front entrance which has very little space even for a small litterbox.
And he still peed there outside/around the box. And I added dog training pads around it.
And we moved a year ago. And he magically stopped this behaviour.

And I haven't taken even an over night trip since then.... No trip for me. I don't want to risk that again. And my cat is old. So I don't want to stress him as well.
:(
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
amz155 wrote: But do you find your reply helpful to the OP?
Retroactively, yes I find it a helpful post. It cannot be reiterated enough that pets are not accessories!!

The way the OP worded this, which may not be intentional, is that it's the cats fault they are in a "stressful" situation (due to adopting them) that's "always on their mind" causing the OP to be unable to "plan their next vacation as much as they want" -- AND that they now feel "resentful". OP does come off sounding quite upset that their cats are the cause of their inability to travel.

Pets are for life, which in the case of a cat is 15+ years. Future travel plans (or lack there of...) should be considered prior to adoption. It is not the cats fault OP chose to adopt them so rather ridiculous to feel resentment.

I see far too many people adopt a pet and then have no capability of caring for it. They get it since it's cute without considering ramifications and only want it when it is convenient for them. Pets are very costly and time consuming and not enough people understand this before adoption.

This may not be the case for OP, but it is the case for lot of people out there. Especially people that get dogs. A few weeks back I had some people laughing as they told me their dog makes them take it outside. Like this was a surprise. Uh. Yeah... Yeah, it will. Good on the dog for not crapping in the house.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Karala wrote: Retroactively, yes I find it a helpful post. It cannot be reiterated enough that pets are not accessories!!

The way the OP worded this, which may not be intentional, is that it's the cats fault they are in a "stressful" situation (due to adopting them) that's "always on their mind" causing the OP to be unable to "plan their next vacation as much as they want" -- AND that they now feel "resentful". OP does come off sounding quite upset that their cats are the cause of their inability to travel.

Pets are for life, which in the case of a cat is 15+ years. Future travel plans (or lack there of...) should be considered prior to adoption. It is not the cats fault OP chose to adopt them so rather ridiculous to feel resentment.

I see far too many people adopt a pet and then have no capability of caring for it. They get it since it's cute without considering ramifications and only want it when it is convenient for them. Pets are very costly and time consuming and not enough people understand this before adoption.

This may not be the case for OP, but it is the case for lot of people out there. Especially people that get dogs. A few weeks back I had some people laughing as they told me their dog makes them take it outside. Like this was a surprise. Uh. Yeah... Yeah, it will. Good on the dog for not crapping in the house.
But the OP already owns the cats. How is that advice helpful now?

I totally agree that people need to do their research before getting a pet and the onus is on them to ensure the pet meets their lifestyle. I just don’t know how the ‘you should’ve thought of that before’ sentiment helps the OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
amz155 wrote: But the OP already owns the cats. How is that advice helpful now?
The advice is helpful to remind OP not to feel resentment towards cats. It isn't their fault, it is a situation brought on by the OP's own decision to adopt them without proper planning and should not be pinned on the cats. It is also helpful advice in general for anyone considering a pet that may be browsing these forums.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
If it's a weekend trip.. a night or two, we used to leave a pile off food and water. That seemed to be the max for our old cat. For the new cats we're still figuring them out.

When we used to leave for holiday's we'd make sure a friend came over and check on our cat at least every other day (or more if we could talk them into it). I did feel bad as we only had one cat, and we was pretty happy to see us when we got back, so you know he was lonely. Now we have two cats, hoping it's a little easier on them if they've got each other to entertain themselves in our absence.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Some friends of mine will leave their cat and 2 birds alone for 2 whole days. Any longer than that, some comes in to clean, refresh food and water.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Sep 5, 2013
165 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
Get a local pet sitting service.
Used them quite a few times, great service.

Agreed with leaving a cat alone for 2 days.
On day 3 someone needs to be there. It's not so much the food or water, it's how disgusting the 2 x litter boxes might become, by day 3.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have a juvenile Savannah and a 15 year old Persian. The Persian loves flying solo and luckily my cousin lives nearby so her husband comes over and feeds her twice a day. The Savannah on the other hand is super needy. Cannot be left alone for long periods ever as they need human interaction like a dog so he stays with me parents for anything longer than a day.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
EP32k2 wrote: I have a juvenile Savannah
Those things are not only long and lanky but somewhat wild (see thread about cats being dangerous if any bigger)? I was talking to the owner of a raw pet food store and they said some customers bring their serval to the store as they cannot leave it at home as t will destroy the place.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thriftshopper wrote: Those things are not only long and lanky but somewhat wild (see thread about cats being dangerous if any bigger)? I was talking to the owner of a raw pet food store and they said some customers bring their serval to the store as they cannot leave it at home as t will destroy the place.
He isn’t that bad. But could definitely get destructive if left alone for more than a day. Aside from that he’s an awesome cat as he’s great with kids and loves to be with people.
Banned
Dec 24, 2019
1 posts
Find a pet sitter before going on vacation so that your pets will attach with them. So that when you goon vacation you will not feel worry about them. Also if you have some good friend who is genuinely caring about pets, you can also take help from them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)