Health & Wellness

Vaccine uptake "in the future"?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4252 posts
4433 upvotes

Vaccine uptake "in the future"?

The British medical journal provided information such as, protection against the UK/India variants after 1 dose of the vaccine was in the 30-50% range, and >90% after 2 doses (Pfizer/Moderna), though less for AZ.

Most of you have not received your second Pfizer/Moderna shot (the side effects for the 2nd dose of AZ are marginal, apparently), but once you do, as per the results in all of the studies done by Pfizer/Moderna, the side effects will hit you hard. I thought it would not happen to me, but it did, and it was the worst 30 hours of my life. I'm immensely grateful to have gotten it earlier than many of you, but be prepared...seriously. It fades after 30-40 hours or so.

Moderna is trialing the 3rd dose to target variants and the side effects are in line with the 2nd dose. Maybe it's because the pain is easily recalled as I just went through it, but I'm not so sure I'll take the 3rd. I am wondering though, once the vast majority of people suffer through the 2nd dose, will vaccine hesitancy kick in and cause people to reject the 3rd?

I mean, after 2 shots anyway, protection against the India and UK variant is >90% with Pfizer/Moderna anyways?

https://bestlifeonline.com/moderna-boos ... ects-news/
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7601 posts
6314 upvotes
I must repeat again, it's not 30-50% protection after one shot. These are just raw results that don't eliminate people who were infected in the first two weeks after the initial shot, where they had no immunity yet and they were more likely to engage in risky contacts. The real percentage is a good bit higher.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4252 posts
4433 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I must repeat again, it's not 30-50% protection after one shot. These are just raw results that don't eliminate people who were infected in the first two weeks after the initial shot, where they had no immunity yet and they were more likely to engage in risky contacts. The real percentage is a good bit higher.
Maybe you are right, but that wasn't the point of the thread. If Pfizer/Moderna is correct, and people have to suffer through the symptoms of shot #2 on an annual basis, then my guess is people will just flat out reject future boosters. I know I probably will.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7601 posts
6314 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Maybe you are right, but that wasn't the point of the thread. If Pfizer/Moderna is correct, and people have to suffer through the symptoms of shot #2 on an annual basis, then my guess is people will just flat out reject future boosters. I know I probably will.
Most people do have a stronger reaction to a second shot, however for most people the side effects are not felt as intensely as it was for you. As such I doubt that the vast majority of people will be discouraged from getting further shots, in comparison to the risk of contracting a potentially more efficient variant. People will not think back of their side effects; they will think of the 18 months where life grinded to a halt and they couldn't meet their friends, which was far more painful and memorable.

So far except for a few countries like the United States, uptake for a second shot of vaccination is good in all countries that have made a lot of progress in vaccinating their population. And even the US really is not that bad, the vast majority of people do get their second shot.

Personally I don't care. I'll just take a day off while I recover.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27856 posts
4154 upvotes
Montreal
angryaudifanatic wrote: The British medical journal provided information such as, protection against the UK/India variants after 1 dose of the vaccine was in the 30-50% range, and >90% after 2 doses (Pfizer/Moderna), though less for AZ.

Most of you have not received your second Pfizer/Moderna shot (the side effects for the 2nd dose of AZ are marginal, apparently), but once you do, as per the results in all of the studies done by Pfizer/Moderna, the side effects will hit you hard. I thought it would not happen to me, but it did, and it was the worst 30 hours of my life. I'm immensely grateful to have gotten it earlier than many of you, but be prepared...seriously. It fades after 30-40 hours or so.

Moderna is trialing the 3rd dose to target variants and the side effects are in line with the 2nd dose. Maybe it's because the pain is easily recalled as I just went through it, but I'm not so sure I'll take the 3rd. I am wondering though, once the vast majority of people suffer through the 2nd dose, will vaccine hesitancy kick in and cause people to reject the 3rd?

I mean, after 2 shots anyway, protection against the India and UK variant is >90% with Pfizer/Moderna anyways?

https://bestlifeonline.com/moderna-boos ... ects-news/
That article just said the third dose has less side effects than the 2nd:
The most common side effects included pain at the injection site, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, and joint pain. Moderna did note that, in general, people reacted less to the booster shot than to the original vaccine.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
11176 posts
2217 upvotes
Let's focus on first two doses first. It's still early for us to call on the third dose at this point.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one even after you are fully vaccinated.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7601 posts
6314 upvotes
82 wrote: Let's focus on first two doses first. It's still early for us to call on the third dose at this point.
The truth is that boosters might not even be needed, at least for mRNA vaccines. People and governments are scared so they are ready to believe almost anything Pfizer and Moderna says. Moderna's CEO, Stephane Bancel, became a billionaire due to the pandemic.

People forget that these are not innocent parties, they are for-profit corporations that have an ulterior motive. I have no doubt that it is already too late and that governments are so scared of further economic chaos that they will give boosters to the entire population and pay a fortune for updated mRNA vaccines that might not be needed.

Although this concerns people who were infected naturally by the virus, it looks like immunity to the virus does not wane quickly, and in facts keeps building up for a very long time:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/heal ... cines.html