• Dec 24th, 2018 6:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2004
818 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton

Vacuum Sealer

I'm looking for a vacuum sealer only to store some beer brewing ingredients like hops. Not sure if I need a higher end sealer and I'd really like to pay $40 or less.. I'll do some research but I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a brand name one vs the cheaper ones on Amazon.

Anyone see something, please share it my way! Fingers crossed boxing day will have something.
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10259 posts
3971 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wilbrod wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:33 am
I'm looking for a vacuum sealer only to store some beer brewing ingredients like hops. Not sure if I need a higher end sealer and I'd really like to pay $40 or less.. I'll do some research but I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a brand name one vs the cheaper ones on Amazon.

Anyone see something, please share it my way! Fingers crossed boxing day will have something.
I would look for an used Foodsaver on Craigslist/Kijiji/Facebook. There should be a few of them on there just after Christmas from people who received newer models as gifts. Also, there's always the few that decided they didn't need what they were given as well. I recently bought one off of Craiglist that was new in the box for $30 for a $160 unit.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2004
818 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
craftsman wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 8:30 pm
I would look for an used Foodsaver on Craigslist/Kijiji/Facebook. There should be a few of them on there just after Christmas from people who received newer models as gifts. Also, there's always the few that decided they didn't need what they were given as well. I recently bought one off of Craiglist that was new in the box for $30 for a $160 unit.
Deliberate or not, your post gave me the idea to use FoodSaver as the keyword to look for one. Vacuum sealer gave some but foodsaver seems to be a term just as popular. There's hope!

Edit: Not the craziest deal but found a somewhat older machine for $25 with what appears to be a fair amount of bags. Going to pick it up tomorrow, thanks!
Previous wins:
-2x EA SPORTS
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10259 posts
3971 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wilbrod wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:12 pm
Deliberate or not, your post gave me the idea to use FoodSaver as the keyword to look for one. Vacuum sealer gave some but foodsaver seems to be a term just as popular. There's hope!

Edit: Not the craziest deal but found a somewhat older machine for $25 with what appears to be a fair amount of bags. Going to pick it up tomorrow, thanks!
No problem. Just one more thing, check the conditions of the seals and see if there are replacements available. On many older FoodSavers, the foam seals just get old and need replacement. Luckily, the replacements can be found on e-Bay and Amazon for a few bucks.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2004
818 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
craftsman wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 2:57 am
No problem. Just one more thing, check the conditions of the seals and see if there are replacements available. On many older FoodSavers, the foam seals just get old and need replacement. Luckily, the replacements can be found on e-Bay and Amazon for a few bucks.
Machine I got seems to be working fine. It's unfortunately not as wide as what I presume some other machines are as some of the bags that came with it were on a roll that is wider than the machine. I have to seal those twice to seal the whole length when making a bag from the roll... Probably something I'll be able to live with for a while. All in all pretty happy for $25, including 70+ pre cut bags (1 litre) and a roll of bags you have to make yourselves. To be honest I haven't looked around to see how much bags are worth but either way I'm still happy about it.
Previous wins:
-2x EA SPORTS
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10259 posts
3971 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wilbrod wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:18 am
Machine I got seems to be working fine. It's unfortunately not as wide as what I presume some other machines are as some of the bags that came with it were on a roll that is wider than the machine. I have to seal those twice to seal the whole length when making a bag from the roll... Probably something I'll be able to live with for a while. All in all pretty happy for $25, including 70+ pre cut bags (1 litre) and a roll of bags you have to make yourselves. To be honest I haven't looked around to see how much bags are worth but either way I'm still happy about it.
That's strange as the machines I've seen for the most part are a little wider than the common bag widths. What's the model of the machine you got? And what's the width of the bags that don't 'fit'? The widest standard size bag is 11".

As for bags, they can be cheap when onsale as long as you go with 3rd party bags. I recently got a deal on Amazon for two 11" x 50' rolls for less than $25.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2004
818 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
craftsman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 2:13 pm
That's strange as the machines I've seen for the most part are a little wider than the common bag widths. What's the model of the machine you got? And what's the width of the bags that don't 'fit'? The widest standard size bag is 11".

As for bags, they can be cheap when onsale as long as you go with 3rd party bags. I recently got a deal on Amazon for two 11" x 50' rolls for less than $25.
The bags are about 11 inches but the machine is about 9.5 inches. See attached photo. Machine is a FoodSaver Vac420
Images
  • IMG_20181224_151438.jpg
Previous wins:
-2x EA SPORTS
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10259 posts
3971 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wilbrod wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 5:17 pm
The bags are about 11 inches but the machine is about 9.5 inches. See attached photo. Machine is a FoodSaver Vac420
Ohhh.... the Vac420 is only good for the 8" rolls. I guess that's why the original owner may be selling it.... probably thought they got a bad machine!
[OP]
Nov 23, 2004
818 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
craftsman wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 5:24 pm
Ohhh.... the Vac420 is only good for the 8" rolls. I guess that's why the original owner may be selling it.... probably thought they got a bad machine!
Right.. they might have not been the original buyer. It's a little more work for me but I'm happy for $25 all in. I'll just buy smaller bags when I resupply.
Previous wins:
-2x EA SPORTS