Expired Hot Deals

Value Village

[Value Village]/$5 off coupon with purchase of $30 giftcard (Jan 31st to Feb 14th)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 12:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3456 posts
4079 upvotes

[Value Village]/$5 off coupon with purchase of $30 giftcard (Jan 31st to Feb 14th)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Value Village
https://stores.savers.com/search

I recently re-discovered the magic of value village.

Once upon a time, before I discovered RFD, I was quite poor. I was doing appointment scheduling for Comcast for minimum wage. At that time I would sometimes visit value village and get cheap items such as clothes, shoes and cookware.

At some point I became a white collar professional and thought that I would never shop at value village or salvation army thrift store again.

I recently moved and had to buy basic things in life like cutting board, microwave and furniture again. I was unhappy with what I can get at IKEA, dollarama, Winners, HomeSense, factory direct and etc. in terms of quality/price due to the high standard I developed for being part of RFD over recent years: let's be honest, we all want the price of IKEA/Acer, but the quality of EQ3/Apple.

Out of desperation, I visited value village again. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Let's just take cutting boards as an example, a cheap one from dollarama is $4, the ones from IKEA are more expensive and aren't much better in terms of quality, I saw a solid wood one in perfect condition at value village for $5, a similar one would go for $20+ easily at Winners or HomeSense. I also grabbed a 1050 watt microwave for $20, I am so glad I went there because I was going to spend $60 for a 1000 watt refurbished one at factory direct.

Keep in mind that I am pretty well off these days with an annual income of $100,000+, but I want to slap myself for thinking that my value village days were over!

The bottom line is: as long as you maintain a high standard, it doesn't matter how much you make or where you shop. If you bothered to get off your high horse and stop your truck to check, it is entirely possible that you could pick up a high end leather couch from the curbside!
Bitcoin will crash hard.
9 replies
Mar 8, 2015
769 posts
3266 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Awesome write-up OP !
I also follow your principle....

Thanks for reassuring me in my belief..
Last edited by canadianamigo13 on Feb 11th, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 5, 2008
678 posts
741 upvotes
GTA
I also find it's the most convenient place to donate unwanted stuff. They are much less picky vs. Salvation Army, Good Will, etc. - and you get 20% discount cards for donating.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7205 posts
7004 upvotes
Toronto
Glancealot wrote: Keep in mind that I am pretty well off these days with an annual income of $100,000+
Of course.... RFDers with less income are just wannabees
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3262 posts
5069 upvotes
GTA North
A true RFDer would get a microwave off the curb before collection day and knock on the door to ask if the microwave works (to save the carrying it back) or take it home to test it.

:)
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Dec 28, 2014
73 posts
114 upvotes
Barrie
I agree completely. I'll be honest and say that I've only been going to thrift stores recently to find furniture I want to restore (for my own personal use, not sell) and I was pleasantly surprised when I found Telestrations for $3! It was in perfect condition with nothing missing. It looks like it's only been used a few times and here I was planning to order it from Amazon for $30. I'm glad I procrastinated.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
166 posts
397 upvotes
I make 100k a year and drive a beige corolla. I shop almost exclusively at Valoo villauge. Picked up brand new with tags on Columbia jacket, new gortex MEC hiking pants, Hugo boss sweater and dress shirts, Fred Perry golf shirts etc. No need to have shame walking into these thrift stores. The hunt for a great item can be fun. 9/10 walk out with nothing. YMMV. But that one time where I score a great find keeps me going back searching for more.
There are people so damn poor all they have is their money.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4178 posts
3389 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t forget you get discount cards for donating stuff.

We go thrifting often at VV and if you bring a few boxes of your old stuff to donate, you can get up to a 30% discount card.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2009
1030 posts
510 upvotes
Halifax
This will cover off the difference between the overcharge they do, and what you can go buy it for new somewhere else!
Sep 8, 2017
422 posts
996 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: A true RFDer would get a microwave off the curb before collection day and knock on the door to ask if the microwave works (to save the carrying it back) or take it home to test it.

:)
A true rfd’er wouldn’t take it home to test as that uses unnecessary electricity, instead they would walk or bike it (because taking the car uses gas) to the local community centre and test it there, if it dosent work then they will toss it out in the dumpster behind the building

Good informative post from OP, +1 for that but everyone keep in mind value village is a for profit store, and that they’ll keep a lot of the revenue they earn for themselves, versus a store like Salvation Army where the money goes to a good cause

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)