Expired Hot Deals

[ValuMart] Pork Loin Half (boneless) $1.99/lb -September 17-23, 2020 (ON/QC)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 3:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2396 posts
3805 upvotes

[ValuMart] Pork Loin Half (boneless) $1.99/lb -September 17-23, 2020 (ON/QC)

Valumart
September 17-23, 2020

Pork loin, boneless, rib or sirloin half $1.99/lb ($4.39/kg)
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3099 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
Opinions on which is a better value, rib or sirloin half? And how to tell the difference.

@computergeek541 Do appreciate your grocery postings as sometimes we just don't have the time to go through all the online flyers now that flyers don't come to the house anymore :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2396 posts
3805 upvotes
beachlover wrote: Opinions on which is a better value, rib or sirloin half? And how to tell the difference.

@computergeek541 Do appreciate your grocery postings as sometimes we just don't have the time to go through all the online flyers now that flyers don't come to the house anymore :(
@beachlover
This isn't a surefire way, and honestly, I don't even know if this is correct, but I believe that the sirloin half is usually bigger. if given the choice between sirloin or rib, I always take the rib. Some suppliers label which it is on the packaging, although I suspect that that sometimes, the wrong packaging might be used.

The rib tastes much better than the sirloin. it is also fattier. I suppose that if you want leaner meat, you'd go for the sirloin, but it tends to be dry. Some places charge more for pork rib cuts over pork sirloin.

The rib half is from the area near where back ribs are from. The pork rib chops actually have a baby back rib attached if it's bone-in.

As for actual value, the butchers don't always trim the fat on the outside off properly, although some people might want that. I've seen some pork loin halves packaged with maybe one third fat surrounding the meat, but that's just sloppy by the meat processing plant.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB