Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Valve

Steam Deck in stock for now (regular price)

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2022 3:52 pm
[OP]
Member
Nov 2, 2004
319 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver

Steam Deck in stock for now (regular price)

Deal Link:
Price:
$499-$819
Retailer:
Valve
Not a sale deal, just an in-stock note. I don't think they'll be going on sale this year.

When it launched earlier this year, the Steam Deck was on a long waitlist for delivery. About a month ago, they caught up and orders were being fulfilled that week.

Now they're at 1-2 weeks for expected delivery date — which can still make Christmas for now.

Note: Apparently you can run your Epic, GOG and Prime game libraries on the Steam Deck.

It also seems to be highly emulator-friendly for PS and XB game emulators, as well as gameboy and gamecube. Some people are even reporting that they're getting Breath of the Wild working. (I can't report as I won't get to try that out til we open our new steam deck on Dec 25.)
62 replies
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
160 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
heads up unless you're expert and used to switching internal SSDs/electronics in general, I recommend just getting 256GB or 512GB (some AAA games easily 100GB so 64GB won't do much). getting big size microsd is also an option but amazon sales just ended last week if you can find a cheap fast one. Great purchase if you want gaming laptop alternative and more steam than console person. capable of handling most of high spec games at low-medium settings and mostly high-ultra for pre-2019 games.
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2013
540 posts
1056 upvotes
didn't it always in stock for months now? My friend bought one 3 weeks ago with 1 week shipping time.
not a deal imo, and it's no longer the hot item that no one can get.
Member
Jan 4, 2021
407 posts
1443 upvotes
Canada
Good PSA because there is still a lot of people on kijiji with brain damage trying to scalp their steam decks for a premium. One person in my city is selling their 64gb new in box for $580 and wasn't willing to budge on his price despite me linking him to steam showing they are in stock for $525 tax in to Alberta.
[OP]
Member
Nov 2, 2004
319 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
October 6 was when they announced that all the waitlists were over. Then the instant-ship for the smallest one changed to a 1-2 week wait on Black Friday. Now all three of the models are at the 1-2 week wait.

Also, they have only just started taking orders from people outside of the US and Canada. I just checked AliExpress and they have Steam Decks available — for over $1000!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 22, 2012
6212 posts
7388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xbr999 wrote: Good PSA because there is still a lot of people on kijiji with brain damage trying to scalp their steam decks for a premium. One person in my city is selling their 64gb new in box for $580 and wasn't willing to budge on his price despite me linking him to steam showing they are in stock for $525 tax in to Alberta.
The Steam Deck also has at least three different minor hardware updates, so the scalper model may be one of the older versions.

Not a huge difference, but a new model would have those minor fixes in place (like the noisy fan, trackpad texture, thumbstick material, etc)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2476 posts
2491 upvotes
Ottawa
wenat wrote: October 6 was when they announced that all the waitlists were over. Then the instant-ship for the smallest one changed to a 1-2 week wait on Black Friday. Now all three of the models are at the 1-2 week wait.

Also, they have only just started taking orders from people outside of the US and Canada. I just checked AliExpress and they have Steam Decks available — for over $1000!
Not the case at all. Many countries outside of US and Canada have been getting them. They are adding more countries as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2007
2433 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
Love my steam deck but I would encourage everyone to hold off and look at some of the upcoming handhelds like the AyaNeo 2. Better higher resolution screen, more powerful, more compact. It's obviously a lot more but those are the three main problems I have with the steam deck.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2007
2433 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
uwengdori wrote: heads up unless you're expert and used to switching internal SSDs/electronics in general, I recommend just getting 256GB or 512GB (some AAA games easily 100GB so 64GB won't do much). getting big size microsd is also an option but amazon sales just ended last week if you can find a cheap fast one. Great purchase if you want gaming laptop alternative and more steam than console person. capable of handling most of high spec games at low-medium settings and mostly high-ultra for pre-2019 games.
You can also get docks that support nvme drives. Not as portable but docked is probably the better experience for those AAA titles anyhow.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2013
779 posts
1070 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
generaltao99 wrote: Love my steam deck but I would encourage everyone to hold off and look at some of the upcoming handhelds like the AyaNeo 2. Better higher resolution screen, more powerful, more compact. It's obviously a lot more but those are the three main problems I have with the steam deck.
The two firsts mean an even worst battery life. The third means an even worst cooling.
I also don't think one should seek ultimate performance on devices like theses.
I understand the appeal, but I don't agree.

The Steam Deck is the sweet spot.
Last edited by orditeck on Dec 2nd, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2014
198 posts
198 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Are there any nice to have accessories for the steam deck? My husband got one earlier this year and I’m looking to get him something relatable for Christmas?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
2699 posts
2042 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Nawkanie wrote: Are there any nice to have accessories for the steam deck? My husband got one earlier this year and I’m looking to get him something relatable for Christmas?
There are skins, cases, SD cards.. there is also the dock: https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeckdock
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
160 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
generaltao99 wrote: Love my steam deck but I would encourage everyone to hold off and look at some of the upcoming handhelds like the AyaNeo 2. Better higher resolution screen, more powerful, more compact. It's obviously a lot more but those are the three main problems I have with the steam deck.
looking forward to and hoping for steam deck v2 although it wouldn't be any time soon with no news at all from gabe. definitely more cost friendly and having official valve device does feel good (RMA process is smooth). this has a lot of potential. yes SD is a bit heavy for me and wish it was slightly more powerful then it'd been perfect because it released this year but specs feel like slightly outdated. but certainly I haven't touched switch for quite sometime after getting my Q2 SD.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16786 posts
7460 upvotes
Toronto
generaltao99 wrote: Love my steam deck but I would encourage everyone to hold off and look at some of the upcoming handhelds like the AyaNeo 2. Better higher resolution screen, more powerful, more compact. It's obviously a lot more but those are the three main problems I have with the steam deck.
You summed it up, AyaNeo 2 is not in the same price range. The bigger issue is of long term support and the hardware potentially being abandoned if sales are not good. Valve has decades of experience and is playing the long game, selling the hardware at cost and sometimes at a small loss. They hope to make up for it with Steam games sales.

I just got a Steam deck, $499 version and just added a 1 TB microsd. It was received within 5 days of when I ordered it, in GTA. The interface is slick and seamless, many games work well, the bugs have been ironed out. It's a good buy if you want a Switch with far less limitations. Apparently high end AAA games like Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring run decently on the Steam deck now. I just installed RDR2 on my deck and looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

I wouldn't suggest being a guinea pig for AyaNeo 2 or any unproven product, especially at the price they are asking. You aren't just buying the hardware, you are also buying the manufacturer support, stable games store, commitment to bug fixes and improvements etc.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Dec 2nd, 2022 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2497 posts
2283 upvotes
I get that its not a deal, so I wont upvote. But people downvoting because its not a good price? What are you smoking?
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16786 posts
7460 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: I get that its not a deal, so I wont upvote. But people downvoting because its not a good price? What are you smoking?
Lots of people are waiting for a 'sale' on the Steam deck... they don't understand that a 'sale' isn't coming anytime soon... Because Valve sells these at cost / possibly at a loss for the $499 version.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16786 posts
7460 upvotes
Toronto
uwengdori wrote: looking forward to and hoping for steam deck v2 although it wouldn't be any time soon with no news at all from gabe.
Very unlikely we see much of an upgrade to the Steam Deck until 2024. The hardware is a loss leader for Valve, currently often sold at cost / loss. In 2023 they will be looking to make small margins on Deck hardware sales. Also keep in mind that the minute they announce a V2 Deck, no one is going to buy the OG Steam Deck unless it's sold at a large discount to current prices.

So I would (possibly) expect a V2 in 2nd half 2024 but not earlier. And Valve is still a corporation looking to make money.. if they don't make $$ from the Gen1 Steamdeck, there won't be a V2.

$$ for Valve will come from people buying games from Steam store. They make nothing from people emulating Switch games, people playing Epic Games store content on the Steam deck, etc. We'll see if the Deck makes money for Valve, I am skeptical right now, but I love my Deck.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2007
2433 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: You summed it up, AyaNeo 2 is not in the same price range. The bigger issue is of long term support and the hardware potentially being abandoned if sales are not good. Valve has decades of experience and is playing the long game, selling the hardware at cost and sometimes at a small loss. They hope to make up for it with Steam games sales.

I just got a Steam deck, $499 version and just added a 1 TB microsd. It was received within 5 days of when I ordered it, in GTA. The interface is slick and seamless, many games work well, the bugs have been ironed out. It's a good buy if you want a Switch with far less limitations. Apparently high end AAA games like Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring run decently on the Steam deck now. I just installed RDR2 on my deck and looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

I wouldn't suggest being a guinea pig for AyaNeo 2 or any unproven product, especially at the price they are asking. You aren't just buying the hardware, you are also buying the manufacturer support, stable games store, commitment to bug fixes and improvements etc.
It runs Windows, not a Proton layer, so it's essentially a typical gaming PC. To say that also doesn't do justice to the launcher and customizations they'll be releasing soon, it's not a cheap janky experience at all. And AyaNeo has more product experience than Valve at this point. Yes the Steam Deck is the safer bet but use it for a bit and you'll see the limitations.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16786 posts
7460 upvotes
Toronto
generaltao99 wrote: It runs Windows, not a Proton layer, so it's essentially a typical gaming PC. To say that also doesn't do justice to the launcher and customizations they'll be releasing soon, it's not a cheap janky experience at all. And AyaNeo has more product experience than Valve at this point. Yes the Steam Deck is the safer bet but use it for a bit and you'll see the limitations.
We'll see, I personally can't see the AyaNeo selling well at the price points they are asking.

Gabe of Valve talks about it being 'painful but necessary' to hit the $399 USD / $499 Price point of Steam Deck. And actually the CDN Deck is a better deal than the US one now, given currency values. For most people, $500 is already a lot of money for a handheld gaming console, this won't be a business writeoff etc.
Jr. Member
Jul 5, 2015
160 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote: Very unlikely we see much of an upgrade to the Steam Deck until 2024. The hardware is a loss leader for Valve, currently often sold at cost / loss. In 2023 they will be looking to make small margins on Deck hardware sales. Also keep in mind that the minute they announce a V2 Deck, no one is going to buy the OG Steam Deck unless it's sold at a large discount to current prices.

So I would (possibly) expect a V2 in 2nd half 2024 but not earlier. And Valve is still a corporation looking to make money.. if they don't make $$ from the Gen1 Steamdeck, there won't be a V2.

$$ for Valve will come from people buying games from Steam store. They make nothing from people emulating Switch games, people playing Epic Games store content on the Steam deck, etc. We'll see if the Deck makes money for Valve, I am skeptical right now, but I love my Deck.
yeah 100% agree. valve also has a lot of hardwares in their graveyards but this one really succeeded for them seems like (adoption wise at least margin aside). have fun with RDR2 I actually beat the whole thing on SD recently even though I have high spec gaming laptop. so convenient and runs decently well without sacrificing much of graphic settings.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)