• Oct 7th, 2013 2:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto

Valve's Steam Machine Prototype - Specs Revealed

"Valve have released the specs for the prototypes of its 'Steam Machine' gaming consoles which bring the popular Steam network of PC games to the living room.

The physical boxes are said to be around the size of an Xbox 360 S, and all boast 16GB of RAM, 3GB of VRAM, and a 1TB hybrid HDD with 8GB of solid-state memory.

The least powered machines will boast Intel Core i3 processors with a GeForce GTX 660 video card. The mid-range will run Core i5-4570 processors with GTX760-GTX780 GPUs, the high-end machines will be Intel Core i7-4770 with Nvidia Titan.

That's considerably more power than either of the next gen consoles (PS4, XB1), but it will come at a steeper price.

Current component prices indicate the price range for the boxes could vary between $700-$1,800. No price points have yet been announced."

Source: The Verge
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5489 posts
1141 upvotes
calgary
Scorpionsy wrote: "Valve have released the specs for the prototypes of its 'Steam Machine' gaming consoles which bring the popular Steam network of PC games to the living room.

The physical boxes are said to be around the size of an Xbox 360 S, and all boast 16GB of RAM, 3GB of VRAM, and a 1TB hybrid HDD with 8GB of solid-state memory.

The least powered machines will boast Intel Core i3 processors with a GeForce GTX 660 video card. The mid-range will run Core i5-4570 processors with GTX760-GTX780 GPUs, the high-end machines will be Intel Core i7-4770 with Nvidia Titan.

That's considerably more power than either of the next gen consoles (PS4, XB1), but it will come at a steeper price.

Current component prices indicate the price range for the boxes could vary between $700-$1,800. No price points have yet been announced."
Source: The Verge
That there is my whole issue with this steam box. I love what they are trying to do but there is no way they are capable of making a box that will run PC games for anything the way they are meant to be run for anything less than 1000$. Then you are getting into enthusiast territoriy and in that area most people are capable and enjoy putting together there own computer.

This doesnt even factor upgrade costs. My frustration from PC gaming stems from me personally never being satisified. i'm always striving to hit that magically 1080P/60FPS point on ultra settings or now 1440P/60FPS. It's always a battle for me, I purchase a steam game for 3$ and spend 20 minutes figureing out the best settings to run it on and then spend maybe 20 minutes playing the game since it was a game I never really had much interest in to begin with (otherwise I would have paid more than 3$).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
^Makes sense. Look at Ps3/360/Wii exclusives, they look awesome and they are running on hardware that, on PC, probably wouldn't be able to run anything (512mb of Ram, lol come on). I feel like if you wanted to run say Uncharted on PC, you would need one that is much more powerful than ps3....

Because all consoles have the same configuration, developers can really spend time on optimization for one hardware profile, you know? For PC that doesn't happen. hundred of different processors to configure for, hundreds of different vid cards, different software setups with windows, varying amount of ram, varying harddrive speeds, etc. etc.

The only way to get a pc to run anything would be like a shotgun approach I guess, fastest cpu possible, fastest vid card, as much ram as you can stuff, all hitting a price much higher than a console. It's actually very inefficient...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17549 posts
633 upvotes
Im sure they will have a reference box where they will target their own games and what not.
Aug 20, 2009
8096 posts
3035 upvotes
Grimsby
It's not supposed to be any different, it is still just a PC. They're just giving console type gamers a baseline to use.
May 26, 2011
820 posts
185 upvotes
Montreal
Meh... I'll stick to my PC.