Oct 25, 2005
2120 posts
250 upvotes
North Vancouver

Vancouver to Cancun for $190 CAD roundtrip

Deal Link:
I tried 12/27-01/08 USD $182 Smiling Face With Open Mouth

https://www.yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to-c ... ty-for-256

If you're comfortable booking in Spanish, you can book flights from Vancouver to Cancun for $190 CAD roundtrip, or to Mexico City for $220 CAD roundtrip.
182 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11646 posts
11980 upvotes
Mexico city is a good place to get kidnapped. Cancun isn't bad.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29260 posts
15105 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 1:21 pm
What do you make of the current travel advisory?
Oct 26, 2011
71 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Relevant links: https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/ ... exico.aspx
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mexico

Exercise a high degree of caution in Mexico because of high levels of violent crime and drug-related violence. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times. Monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks.
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Guerrero, except for the tourist areas of the cities of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and Taxco, and the toll road to Taxco, due to the very high levels of violent crime and volatile security situation. This includes Acapulco. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Michoacán, except the cities of Morelia and Lázaro Cardenas, and the Monarch butterfly reserves, due to organised crime and the volatile security situation in the state. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Tamaulipas due to the high levels of crime, including kidnapping and extortion. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the Sierra Madre Occidental Mountains in southern Chihuahua State, north-eastern Sinaloa State, north-western Durango State and south eastern Sonora State, except for the Chihuahua-Pacific Railway, due to very high levels of violent crime and lawlessness. See Safety and security
Homicide and other crime rates in the states of Baja California Sur and Quintana Roo have risen sharply in recent years. This includes areas frequented by tourists. See Safety and security
Be alert to the risk of violent crime and civil unrest when travelling by road in rural areas. See Safety and security and Local travel
Petty crime is common. Thieves target tourists at airports, bus terminals and on the metro in Mexico City. Some criminals pose as police officers. Avoid displaying valuables. Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid travelling or walking alone at night, where possible. See Safety and security
Travellers can become victims of violence directed against others. Avoid large public gatherings, protests and demonstrations as they could turn violent. See Safety and security
Violent crimes often related to the drug trade - including murder, kidnapping and carjacking - are widespread. Be vigilant, particularly in areas most affected by drug-related violence. See Safety and security
Mexico experiences earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic activity, hurricanes and associated landslides, mudslides and flooding. Be prepared for a natural disaster, monitor local media reports and follow the instructions of local emergency officials. See Natural disasters
Jul 20, 2018
276 posts
173 upvotes
GerardOD wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 1:29 pm
Relevant links: https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/ ... exico.aspx
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mexico

Exercise a high degree of caution in Mexico because of high levels of violent crime and drug-related violence. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times. Monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks.
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Guerrero, except for the tourist areas of the cities of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and Taxco, and the toll road to Taxco, due to the very high levels of violent crime and volatile security situation. This includes Acapulco. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Michoacán, except the cities of Morelia and Lázaro Cardenas, and the Monarch butterfly reserves, due to organised crime and the volatile security situation in the state. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the State of Tamaulipas due to the high levels of crime, including kidnapping and extortion. See Safety and security
Reconsider your need to travel to the Sierra Madre Occidental Mountains in southern Chihuahua State, north-eastern Sinaloa State, north-western Durango State and south eastern Sonora State, except for the Chihuahua-Pacific Railway, due to very high levels of violent crime and lawlessness. See Safety and security
Homicide and other crime rates in the states of Baja California Sur and Quintana Roo have risen sharply in recent years. This includes areas frequented by tourists. See Safety and security
Be alert to the risk of violent crime and civil unrest when travelling by road in rural areas. See Safety and security and Local travel
Petty crime is common. Thieves target tourists at airports, bus terminals and on the metro in Mexico City. Some criminals pose as police officers. Avoid displaying valuables. Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid travelling or walking alone at night, where possible. See Safety and security
Travellers can become victims of violence directed against others. Avoid large public gatherings, protests and demonstrations as they could turn violent. See Safety and security
Violent crimes often related to the drug trade - including murder, kidnapping and carjacking - are widespread. Be vigilant, particularly in areas most affected by drug-related violence. See Safety and security
Mexico experiences earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic activity, hurricanes and associated landslides, mudslides and flooding. Be prepared for a natural disaster, monitor local media reports and follow the instructions of local emergency officials. See Natural disasters

Man I just booked my honeymoon to Talum and this post just scared this shit out of me..
Mar 13, 2012
891 posts
737 upvotes
Surrey
so this deal has a fine print, death or alive
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10458 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
Kidnapped in Mexico City lol good luck.

I was there for a week last april. Not a sign of kidnapping nor poor people begging.

Stereotyping!
Nov 5, 2006
656 posts
2808 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:00 pm
I was there for a week last april. Not a sign of kidnapping nor poor people begging.
Of course you didn't see them. The kidnapped were, der, kidnapped. The poor were trafficked.

Crying Face
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6520 posts
2448 upvotes
Canada
TURNIPtheBEET wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 1:32 pm
Man I just booked my honeymoon to Talum and this post just scared this shit out of me..
... and people are horrified Trump wants a wall.
Dec 26, 2012
120 posts
127 upvotes
TORONTO
redflagdealsguy wrote:

what a joke. Cancun is way more dangerous than Mexico City. I was in CDMX last fall and it's stunning. So much to do, so much to see, I'll never go back to Cancun.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4003 posts
955 upvotes
Vancouver
TURNIPtheBEET wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 1:32 pm
Just be vigilant. It's the same advice that I'd give if you were going to Philadelphia, Chicago or New York and many parts of SE Asia, all heavily touristed. Do not rent a car and just drive around aimlessly. Only take tolled and patrolled freeways and do not venture deep into the countryside because Mexico definitely is not the same as Italy. Don't get black out drunk and stumble around. Don't leave the tourist areas to "explore" on your own.

I was just in a state and city marked as "avoid for all non-essential travel" and it was fine. The Mexican people are friendly and many parts of the country are beautiful. Almost all of the violence is targeted and carried out by organized crime. And the most part, resorts and the most heavily touristed parts are left alone.
Last edited by lhsonic on Feb 26th, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed external link in signature.
Sep 30, 2013
271 posts
198 upvotes
North Vancouver
Just don't be an idiot, you'll be fine.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13387 posts
1695 upvotes
Mississauga
Stay in a resort with security. You will be safe. Although, most resorts in Cancun are more like hotels vs properly gated resorts in Tulum etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1676 posts
438 upvotes
Calgary
weedb0y wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:24 pm
Stay in a resort with security. You will be safe. Although, most resorts in Cancun are more like hotels vs properly gated resorts in Tulum etc.
Quite a few of the rape cases were blamed on resort security.