• Mar 12th, 2019 3:29 am
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13124 posts
1460 upvotes
Mississauga
Deemo wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:28 pm
Quite a few of the rape cases were blamed on resort security.
Interesting.. Any links? Those resort owners are typically multi-national billion dollar firms, it would have been all over the news.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
Deemo wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:28 pm
Quite a few of the rape cases were blamed on resort security.
RFD is 95% men.

He's right that resort security is good, that's why I said Cancun resorts are alright. They kickback to the cartels, ensuring their safety.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1653 posts
347 upvotes
Calgary
weedb0y wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:29 pm
Interesting.. Any links? Those resort owners are typically multi-national billion dollar firms, it would have been all over the news.
This was the most well publicized one
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-accu ... co-resort/

I won't go into the whole story but my wife was drugged by the bartender at a 5 star well known Mexican resort.

Cancun was isolated for awhile but is getting worse of late.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28097 posts
13907 upvotes
Ottawa
TURNIPtheBEET wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 1:32 pm
Man I just booked my honeymoon to Talum and this post just scared this shit out of me..
Don't worry, Tulum is located on the coastal resort areas.
Several employees from my company went a few weeks ago and all made it back alive.
Many more have booked their trip and will be going there starting next month and so on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28097 posts
13907 upvotes
Ottawa
Deemo wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:33 pm
This was the most well publicized one
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-accu ... co-resort/

I won't go into the whole story but my wife was drugged by the bartender at a 5 star well known Mexican resort.

Cancun was isolated for awhile but is getting worse of late.
"Seven years ago, Kristie Love was on vacation at an all-inclusive resort -- the Iberostar Paraiso Maya -- on the Mexican Riviera when she says a hotel security guard dragged her into the bushes and raped her. "
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1653 posts
347 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:34 pm
"Seven years ago, Kristie Love was on vacation at an all-inclusive resort -- the Iberostar Paraiso Maya -- on the Mexican Riviera when she says a hotel security guard dragged her into the bushes and raped her. "
I said most well publicized.
Just Google it yourself - not going to go on a hunt for all of them.
Apr 7, 2007
582 posts
123 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Watch "Narcos Mexico" on Netflix before going on your trip!
Aug 25, 2008
500 posts
351 upvotes
Ask yourself this - would you avoid visiting Chicago for fear of personal safety? If yes, then skip Cancun. They have the same number of murders per year. I've been going down to the Mayan Riviera for over 20 years now. Yes, violence in Cancun has spiked in the past few years. It's cartel related and almost all of the time it stays outside of the tourist areas. As others have said, keep our wits about you, don't go off the beaten path and you are perfectly safe. You are far more likely to fall victim one of the usual tourist scams or taken by a timeshare shark than you are to witness any violence.
Feb 1, 2019
25 posts
54 upvotes
Couldn't have said it better myself. Violence happen everywhere in the world, just keep it to yourself and you will be fine. No need to be a stereotyping a** in this thread.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28097 posts
13907 upvotes
Ottawa
Deemo wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:36 pm
I said most well publicized.
Just Google it yourself - not going to go on a hunt for all of them.
Sure, dig deep enough and you will find dirt.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2160 posts
1088 upvotes
Toronto
A colleague told me that his brother was in cancun and a night club got shot up at 5 people died when he was there. Kind of scary. I usually think Cancun is prettty safe. I guess stay on the resort if you go?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1653 posts
347 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:49 pm
Sure, dig deep enough and you will find dirt.
Not all the time and you won't have to dig that deep.
Anyway some sage advice here but Cancun is off our personal travel list for now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28097 posts
13907 upvotes
Ottawa
Deemo wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:51 pm
Not all the time and you won't have to dig that deep.
Anyway some sage advice here but Cancun is off our personal travel list for now.
Risk level(s)
Jamaica - Exercise a high degree of caution
Exercise a high degree of caution in Jamaica due to the high level of violent crime.

Risk level(s)
Dominican Republic - Exercise a high degree of caution
Exercise a high degree of caution in the Dominican Republic due to a high crime rate.

Risk level(s)
MEXICO - Exercise a high degree of caution
Exercise a high degree of caution in Mexico due to high levels of criminal activity, as well as demonstrations, protests and occasional illegal roadblocks throughout the country.

Northern states - Avoid non-essential travel
Avoid non-essential travel to the following northern states due to high levels of violence, linked mainly to organized crime:

Chihuahua
Coahuila (except the city of Saltillo)
Durango
Nuevo León (except the city of Monterrey)
Sinaloa (except the city of Mazatlán)
Sonora (except the cities of Hermosillo and Guaymas/San Carlos)
Tamaulipas.
Exercise a high degree of caution in the cities that are excluded from the above advisory.

Safety and security situation

Western states - Avoid non-essential travel
Avoid non-essential travel to the western states of Guerrero (including Acapulco but excluding the cities of Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Taxco), Michoacán (excluding the city of Morelia) and Colima (excluding the city of Manzanillo) due to the high levels of violence and organized crime.
Dec 22, 2009
153 posts
95 upvotes
YYC
cheapmother wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 2:41 pm
Watch "Narcos Mexico" on Netflix before going on your trip!
Great source of unbiased information, run to your tv! Thankfully, not everyone trusts tv series as their fake news source. Meanwhile, growth of the Mayan Riviera tourist sector is undeniable.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8967 posts
9113 upvotes
This thread went well.

The wealthier, more educated, and opulent the place, generally the more safe and enjoyable it will be.

Top cities on my list include: Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Hong Kong, New York (slightly over-hyped), Los Angeles (a mess but I love it), and London (not so much anymore with street violence).

My guilty pleasures: Orlando, Phoenix, Macau, Vegas, and a mish-mash of other middling American cities.

After a close call with a family member, I've written off Mexico completely for now.

God bless.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Feb 26th, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.