• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 5:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2021
2075 posts
3442 upvotes
Angel Girl wrote: I’m not familiar with her field, but according to LinkedIn, she’s a junior full-stack web developer. How much does someone like that typically make?

And she’s also from Edmonton, maybe she can go back if Vancouver doesn’t work out for her. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Being 29 and a junior anything in tech is weird to begin with. Either she recently joined tech or she's underemployed, or just not very good at what she does.

New developers can be at 60k but the good ones jump within 2-3 years and make easily double of that.

Anyway sounds like she has money, just that no landlord is picking her. Not very surprising as I found landlords to prefer couples at double incomes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
‘Very terrifying’: Convicted killer from Edmonton charged in Vancouver window smashing rampage
Curtis George McCallum, 48, is accused of throwing a brick into several windows at the TD Canada Trust branch at 109 West Hastings Street on Sept. 12, causing almost $70,000 in damage.
SiGh....

Do you think DTWS prices will come down in the next 3 months?
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
2544 posts
2555 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Back End Developer

$78,350/year

Computer Engineer

$75,400/year

Data Analyst

$64,748/year

DevOps Engineer

$78,600/year

Front End Developer

$74,962/year

Full Stack Developer

$83,750/year

IT Business Analyst

$72,750/year

Network Engineer

$72,300/year

Software Developer

$77,236/year

Software Engineer

$76,300/year

Web Designer

$51,672/year

Web Developer

$56,420/year

FYI, average salaries in 2021. From stats Canada.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
2190 posts
2394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TwinkoStar wrote: Being 29 and a junior anything in tech is weird to begin with. Either she recently joined tech or she's underemployed, or just not very good at what she does.

New developers can be at 60k but the good ones jump within 2-3 years and make easily double of that.

Anyway sounds like she has money, just that no landlord is picking her. Not very surprising as I found landlords to prefer couples at double incomes.
It’ll be hard for someone her. I have LL friends that underprice their Downtown/Yaletown entry level rentals so they can get hundreds of applicants and pick the most perfect hassle-free tenants. She’ll likely have to pay more to get what she wants. I think she’s better off looking in New West or Surrey along the Expo line where the competition is less fierce and rent is more affordable.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
2190 posts
2394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote: Took me 30 secs to find something. Only $1,500 but she probably thinks the area is beneath her. Kinda insulting to the real locals who live there lol.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/ap ... 46820.html
Alpine84 wrote: Basement suite in a suburb of east Van? How dare you /s.
Man at some point I feel for her (and his) mental health living with your ex like that, even if it was an amicable breakup. Talk about creating your own problems…
Lol, if she was this sensible, she’d probably have a DP saved up by now instead of looking like a tenant-for-life. Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
adamtheman wrote: I too read this article yesterday (waste of time). Love it how she blames it on age discrimination. Maybe it's the fact you have a dog? If I was a landlord and I had 50 applications for my rental, I'd toss out any applications with a pet immediately. People need to be more aware of getting a dog, especially if they are renters. I love dogs, but I wouldn't love one if I were a landlord. And I especially enjoyed the part where she says she was willing to venture outside of yaletown, and maybe even consider Burnaby. lol.
But only The Amazing Brentwood in Burnaby, probably lol.

I actually wasn't sure if the article was being serious.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Angel Girl wrote: Lol, if she was this sensible, she’d probably have a DP saved up by now instead of looking like a tenant-for-life. Winking Face
My biggest fear is these deadbeat newcomers want the sensible locals to bail them out so they get to live in Yaletown. Many real locals can't afford to live in Yaletown.

The city keeps hiking property taxes on real locals to help these newcomers. It's not sustainable, locals can't afford to help house everyone in Canada. It's a bottomless pit. Property taxes go up every year but services are deteriorating. WTH?!

Just look at her dog and outfit. I bet she lives a more luxurious life than her landlord which is her ex-bf's parents I guess.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
TwinkoStar wrote: Being 29 and a junior anything in tech is weird to begin with. Either she recently joined tech or she's underemployed, or just not very good at what she does.

Just check her Linkedin. She's only been in her tech position for 7 months. She came to Vancouver and started working ar Urban Barn in 2014, then admin at Lamborghini Vancouver and then some other random things.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
2544 posts
2555 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
zakarydoks wrote: But only The Amazing Brentwood in Burnaby, probably lol.

I actually wasn't sure if the article was being serious.
Yeah, I doubt she will pay $1900 for a 1 bed. Also nowhere to walk the dog around there. Better stick to yaletown for $2300 .

Wonder if she is on RFD lol and laughing at us with all the suggestions.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
2190 posts
2394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote: My biggest fear is these deadbeat newcomers want the sensible locals to bail them out so they get to live in Yaletown. Many real locals can't afford to live in Yaletown.

The city keeps hiking property taxes on real locals to help these newcomers. It's not sustainable, locals can't afford to help house everyone in Canada. It's a bottomless pit. Property taxes go up every year but services are deteriorating. WTH?!

Just look at her dog and outfit. I bet she lives a more luxurious life than her landlord which is her ex-bf's parents I guess.
I want to tell you not to worry, but I can't. Vancouver is heading in a bad direction. I know this girl's story sounds ridiculous, but there are tons of people like her and that translates to a ton of votes. The "eat the rich" movement, being forced to accept druggie hotels in my neighbourhood, and getting expropriated so people like Rhea can have the home she deserves (lol) are starting to become real threats. I used to say that I want to live in Vancouver forever, but now I'm willing to leave if things get bad enough. Hopefully I can still trade laterally to Burnaby or Coquitlam when Vancouver turns into a ghetto. :(

I didn't want to comment on her dog and outfit because some people might get offended, but it's a red flag when young people apply to rent from me and they show up to the viewing really well-dressed, but they work low paying jobs, own pets, and don't have rich parents.

I spent this weekend helping my family and relatives go through the voting package for the municipal election and it sounds like all of us are pretty tired of the current state of Vancouver. We are all hoping for a new government that won't suck as much as this one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Angel Girl wrote: I want to tell you not to worry, but I can't. Vancouver is heading in a bad direction. I know this girl's story sounds ridiculous, but there are tons of people like her and that translates to a ton of votes. The "eat the rich" movement, being forced to accept druggie hotels in my neighbourhood, and getting expropriated so people like Rhea can have the home she deserves (lol) are starting to become real threats. I used to say that I want to live in Vancouver forever, but now I'm willing to leave if things get bad enough. Hopefully I can still trade laterally to Burnaby or Coquitlam when Vancouver turns into a ghetto. :(

I didn't want to comment on her dog and outfit because some people might get offended, but it's a red flag when young people apply to rent from me and they show up to the viewing really well-dressed, but they work low paying jobs, own pets, and don't have rich parents.

I spent this weekend helping my family and relatives go through the voting package for the municipal election and it sounds like all of us are pretty tired of the current state of Vancouver. We are all hoping for a new government that won't suck as much as this one.
Oh I'm worrying alright but there's nothing we can do about it. I've accepted that Vancouver's glory days (2001-2017) are over and it will never come back in my lifetime. But I'm also angry because our situation was totally avoidable but now it's impossible to undo. It's like sticking your balls in the microwave and now you have aggressive testicular cancer - it's such a boneheaded move.

The NDP needs to go now. I'm really afraid that Stewart might actually get money from the province and they join forces to make Vancouver even more attractive to the eastern bum and druggies.

Well, what's the worse that can happen? I'll just live like a poor person again and maybe get jumped by an eastern bum on my evening walks. No biggie Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
1082 posts
1667 upvotes
Toronto
I mean there’s a reason why basically anyone with talent leaves Vancouver… who doesn’t want to make no money, pay the highest costs of living, and give away all their money to save not only Vancouver’s homeless but encourage homeless from across the country to come as well. With Vancouver’s demographic, NDP will probably stay in power for the next 10 years unless they do something really stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Piklishi wrote: Yeah, I doubt she will pay $1900 for a 1 bed. Also nowhere to walk the dog around there. Better stick to yaletown for $2300 .

Wonder if she is on RFD lol and laughing at us with all the suggestions.
I don't think so because I think it's mostly owners, investors and potential owners that read this thread and as someone else mentioned here, she's illogical and seems to lack any long term planning skills.
Jan 25, 2021
438 posts
470 upvotes
Angel Girl wrote: I want to tell you not to worry, but I can't. Vancouver is heading in a bad direction. I know this girl's story sounds ridiculous, but there are tons of people like her and that translates to a ton of votes. The "eat the rich" movement, being forced to accept druggie hotels in my neighbourhood, and getting expropriated so people like Rhea can have the home she deserves (lol) are starting to become real threats. I used to say that I want to live in Vancouver forever, but now I'm willing to leave if things get bad enough. Hopefully I can still trade laterally to Burnaby or Coquitlam when Vancouver turns into a ghetto. :(

So who are you voting for? I don't follow municipal politics much. All I know is that the current mayor is shit and onecity are a bunch of woke idiots.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Looksmooth wrote: So who are you voting for? I don't follow municipal politics much. All I know is that the current mayor is shit and onecity are a bunch of woke idiots.
I'm going to vote for Ken Sim. He's a real local and he's going hire more cops. Two very important factors for me.
Aug 3, 2006
881 posts
767 upvotes
Benchmark prices down about 10% for detached houses since the February peak. The price decline was 2.4% in August and the declines seem to be gaining steam. With another couple of interest rate hikes looming in the winter, I think it's likely we are going to see 20% decline from peak to trough in February right before the spring season opens up.

https://www.rebgv.org/market-watch/mont ... -2022.html
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
Piklishi wrote: She has a dog so that's like 50% of rentals lost right away. She is competing with a very high number of other renters too. Being in tech is a good thing though, they pay well. She will find something but I guess she is looking for cheaper.
I would have kick her out if I was her ex. What's done is done. Want nothing to do with it at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
September average selling price: $2,106,560
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2015
2544 posts
2555 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
zakarydoks wrote: September average selling price: $2,106,560
Expected. Prices have not gone down. Demand is still there. This is a different market that only a few can afford.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Piklishi wrote: Expected. Prices have not gone down. Demand is still there. This is a different market that only a few can afford.
Vancouver detached homes are a luxury because there are so few of them so not everyone who wants one will get one.

I think going forward, most people will be living in condos which are still priced OK.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)