• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2022 9:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4496 posts
4809 upvotes

Vancouver: Neighbor Shoveled Snow Onto My Parking Spot

So, After a 1.5FT overnight snowfall in Vancouver.

I live in a detached. My neighbor cleared a pile of snow around his parking spot in front of his property onto mine, in front of my house and blocking my other car from having enough clearance to drive off on to the road while blocking an additional car from parking there. My house has 2 parking spots in front of our property.

No I do not want to shovel that extra pile of snow that he created.

What can we do (legally)?

Not the first time he's doing something so inconsiderate.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15084 posts
11814 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Have a chit-chat with your neighbour.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1692 posts
133 upvotes
He piled the snow on the street in front of your house? NOT YOUR SPOT! You have no more rights to the road in front of your house than someone driving by. Legally, there is nothing to do.

Is your neighbor a douche canoe? Yep... but there is sweet FA you can do about it.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1326 posts
827 upvotes
GTA
Use those xl Asian muscles and start shoveling.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7638 posts
4330 upvotes
Debtario
Legally, maybe call bylaw if the snow is being shovelled onto the road or sidewalk.

Otherwise you need to confront him, be polite but firm. Some people are genuinely unaware of how their actions impact others, though in my experience if they are inconsiderate enough the first time odds are nothing will change until someone moves out or dies.

You can also try retaliating with some of the same, though things are more likely to escalate at that point. "Little" things between neigbours can really spiral out of control quickly, potentially into property damage and violence.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1567 posts
1090 upvotes
Longueuil
BobW wrote: He piled the snow on the street in front of your house? NOT YOUR SPOT! You have no more rights to the road in front of your house than someone driving by. Legally, there is nothing to do.
Exactly, it is not the spot of the neighbor either. Most cities do not allow people to throw back snow onto the streets. If it is the case, legally he can call bylaw.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18479 posts
13272 upvotes
Markham
Take a pic, then go outside and shovel it back onto to his side.

Then go ring the doorbell and tell him you'll help clear up the mess BOTH OF YOU DID.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7823 posts
8509 upvotes
Vancouver
Chill! (should be easy at current temperatures)

If you don't like something your neighbour did, first thing is to ask someone independent whether this is a legit grievance, because your neighbour is likely to take your complaint negatively, and you want to be sure you're not being unreasonable. So not a bad move to ask RFD. Upvote for that. :)

We just had a very heavy snowfall in Vancouver. A lot of it is heavy wet snow that's hard to move, and there are limited places to pile it up as you try to clear it enough to get the car out. Depending on the placement of the driveway, the neighbour may have had little choice but to move it to the side in front of the neighbouring driveway. If you have a better suggestion, talk to your neighbour about it as politely as you can.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)