12155 upvotes
Vancouver

300 bicycles, other stuff. Sat May 4, in-person only

Deal Link:
Expiry:
May 4, 2019
Retailer:
Vancouver Police Auction
Sorry if this doesn't count as a hot deal, wasn't sure where else to post. This is one of the best opportunities to pick up a decent used bike all year. 13557 77th Avenue, Surrey, BC. More items seen in this CBC News story. Pasted from auction site:

Annual Vancouver Police recovered goods Auction!

One day only!! Saturday May 4th, 2019 9:00am!

Bikes will start at 9:00am SHARP! After the bikes are finished the rest of the merchandise will be sold.

A Mandatory $10 Registration, Catalogue, Admittance Fee Per Person (Cash and Debit Only).

( PHOTO I.D. IS REQUIRED TO REGISTER )

Free preview only on Thursday and Friday. You can register at the preview or on Auction day. No preview on Saturday (Auction Day)
Over 300 bikes. Most makes represented! Coins, stamps, tools, electronics, tv’s, instruments, sporting goods! You name it! It’s probably here!! Great selection of jewelry appraised by a certified Gemologist!!

*VIEWING ONLY ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.*

**NO PREVIEW SATURDAY**

We will be opening the doors at 8:00am to register only, everything will be auctioned via tv screen.

*notes

- all items must be removed by Saturday Day of sale until 5:00pm **REMOVAL IS DAY OF SALE ONLY SATURDAY MAY 4TH, 2019**
20 replies
Jun 24, 2016
487 posts
490 upvotes
Apart from the bikes, everything else here is hot garbage. I've seen laptops go beyond even their retail value at the auction.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
Omesuri wrote: Apart from the bikes, everything else here is hot garbage. I've seen laptops go beyond even their retail value at the auction.
Last time I went to a police auction even the bikes were going for over retail. Open to public means a lot of idiots go and get caught up in the auction, over bidding for stuff. Better off getting stuff on kijiji.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2261 posts
1869 upvotes
Vancouver
I went to one 2-3 years back. Almost all the bikes went over-cost. Was really weird to watch people paying more than they would on CL or PinkBike for the same bikes.
Mar 20, 2016
434 posts
382 upvotes
Vancouver
Time to become a knight:
982ca460-61e4-4b05-8afb-6c4a2abcd492.jpg
Kiraly wrote: I wonder what this cash will sell for.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5119233.1556762544!/ ... rrency.jpg
Selling foreign currency that can be exchanged seems odd, selling canadian cash is :facepalm:
evanwier wrote: I went to one 2-3 years back. Almost all the bikes went over-cost. Was really weird to watch people paying more than they would on CL or PinkBike for the same bikes.
Auctions are so stupid here (see NCIX auctions), I think part of it could be related to money laundering, that or people just have no clue and do it for fun.
Oct 18, 2015
285 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Some of the bikes are in really bad shape - only go if you know bikes or know someone who can inspect/fix things for you for cheap.
Dec 14, 2009
59 posts
43 upvotes
BC
On top of people bidding over retail, many don't realize there is tax plus a buyers premium

"Auction items will be subject to a 17% buyer’s premium (unless otherwise noted). A 2% discount on the premium will apply to Cash, Debit, E-Transfer or Wire payments. 

All bidders will be charged 7% PST and 5% GST on all purchases made, in all auctions held in British Columbia."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2261 posts
1869 upvotes
Vancouver
Poalima wrote: On top of people bidding over retail, many don't realize there is tax plus a buyers premium

"Auction items will be subject to a 17% buyer’s premium (unless otherwise noted). A 2% discount on the premium will apply to Cash, Debit, E-Transfer or Wire payments. 

All bidders will be charged 7% PST and 5% GST on all purchases made, in all auctions held in British Columbia."
29% fees and taxes.
Feb 10, 2019
27 posts
21 upvotes

Omg what. Why are the police selling ~~*~*Kits yuppie yoga mom~*~~** starter packs?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
Am I the only one surprised with a $10 admission/registration charge? I have never seen that with auctions around here. Seems like a cash grab.
Jun 2, 2011
463 posts
441 upvotes
You will NOT find a deal at this auction. The amount of stupid that goes to this one every year is amazing. Everybody bids up to and beyond retail price, and that is not even including the 29% auction fee they have to pay on top of it. Most of the bikes look like hot trash, when compared to the prices they are being bid up to
Sep 8, 2016
84 posts
69 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Am I the only one surprised with a $10 admission/registration charge? I have never seen that with auctions around here. Seems like a cash grab.
I've seen it at seized government goods auctions and high value goods auctions (admin fee = $100, credit towards purchase). It's for crowd control. Live storage locker and container auctions usually has a bidders registration fee.

Small goods auctions are usually not worth it, as people get caught up and forget the auction fee + taxes.

I've been to one police auction and never again. People were basically paying MSRP on goods without warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1955 posts
4195 upvotes
Markham
Omesuri wrote: Apart from the bikes, everything else here is hot garbage. I've seen laptops go beyond even their retail value at the auction.
Damn, I need to start my own police auction and get rid of my garbage for retail price + 30% in fees + $10 admission.
Mar 7, 2011
802 posts
802 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Am I the only one surprised with a $10 admission/registration charge? I have never seen that with auctions around here. Seems like a cash grab.
“Grab em by the...” oh wait
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1237 posts
621 upvotes
They make you pay $10 to discover all the bikes are ridiculously high priced. So many people being robbed there, someone should have called 911.