Cell Phones

For a Vancouverite who needs 1.25GB of smartphone data per month, what are cheapest options?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 11:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
97 posts
50 upvotes

For a Vancouverite who needs 1.25GB of smartphone data per month, what are cheapest options?

Taylor lives in Metro Vancouver and needs about 1.25 GB of data on their smartphone per month.

T. is currently on a one-year prepaid $100 unlimited talk-and-text plan with Freedom Mobile, but is willing to remove that Freedom Sim during those hours when data is needed.

Actually, the preference is for data to roll over to the next months. So if Taylor uses just 800 MB this month, T. can move over 200 MB for the following month and won't be forced to buy unneeded data.

Anyway, my quick research shows that ShawMobile, for those who don't have Shaw Home internet, pay a base charge of $15 a month and then 1GB for $10. The beautiful thing is that data doesn't expire in a month. It lasts up to 90 days.
Is there anything cheaper and longer lasting than ShawMobile's offering?
Last edited by pleasantpeasant on Aug 27th, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5721 posts
4188 upvotes
LaLaLand
Taylor has some very specific requirements and not much in Canada will likely suit it. The shaw plan is pretty expensive for one GB of data. Not much in Canada has rollover data either. There is the 20GB/$100 plan from TBTel that lasts for one year - but the data is 3g speed. That's all I can think of from Canada.

It may be better to get one of the 4GB data plans from Fido, CTexcel, Zoomer or similar. They range from $10 to $20 per month. This might be better than the Shaw base rate depending on usage. The other option are plans from outside of Canada such as T-Mobile or some others. I actually use about the same amount of data as Taylor each month. I use two mobile plans from outside Canada that roam in Canada. One of the providers that I use has rollover data. The first GB each month is $10 and each additional GB is $3. The hardest part of getting this plan is one has to go to Asia to buy it. Face With Rolling Eyes The two GB data plan from T-Mobile is 2GB for US$10. At about C$13 per month, this is still half the price of the Shaw plan. There's a sticky thread in this forum that has a list of such providers.

The other thing Taylor should think about is getting a dual SIM phone. Swapping SIMs is a bit of a hassle because one can lose the SIM cards and/or damage the phone.

Ideally, Taylor should get one single plan that suits their needs because s/he will be paying $35 to $40 a month for talk text and data combined. There are lots of those plans available on the market in Canada. I think it I were to get a new plan today, I would go with Zoomer wireless.
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
In addition to the $99 / 12 Month talk and text plan, Freedom also has a $99 / 6 Month talk and text + 2 GB option. If they're happy with the Freedom network, then that could be an option. Officially it looks like it's only for new prepaid activations, but a nice CSR might switch them over. Or port to something like Lucky's $25 plan and wait for the promotion to appear again (Freedom's promotions seem to be pretty cyclical.)
[OP]
Dec 26, 2019
97 posts
50 upvotes
Hi Batcave,
Thank you for your input.
batcave wrote: There is the 20GB/$100 plan from TBTel that lasts for one year - but the data is 3g speed. That's all I can think of from Canada.
The "3G speed" is not a big downside for Taylor. so this should work.
Update: It looks like it's now $150/20GB.
batcave wrote: The other option are plans from outside of Canada such as T-Mobile or some others. I actually use about the same amount of data as Taylor each month. I use two mobile plans from outside Canada that roam in Canada. One of the providers that I use has rollover data. The first GB each month is $10 and each additional GB is $3. The hardest part of getting this plan is one has to go to Asia to buy it. The two GB data plan from T-Mobile is 2GB for US$10. At about C$13 per month, this is still half the price of the Shaw plan. There's a sticky thread in this forum that has a list of such providers.
If I undestand you correctly, "outside of Canada" could mean one of two places: USA or China. Will try to find that sticky thread for the list of providers. Thanks for this heads up.
Update: I found your thread, stickied, at roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/. IS that what you had in mind?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5721 posts
4188 upvotes
LaLaLand
pleasantpeasant wrote: Hi Batcave,
Thank you for your input.

The "3G speed" is not a big downside for Taylor. so this should work.
Update: It looks like it's now $150/20GB.

If I undestand you correctly, "outside of Canada" could mean one of two places: USA or China. Will try to find that sticky thread for the list of providers. Thanks for this heads up.
Update: I found your thread, stickied, at roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/. IS that what you had in mind?
Yes that's the thread. Slightly Smiling Face

Oh, TBTel has gone up in price! ☹️
Jul 15, 2003
888 posts
365 upvotes
For minimal data usage, try KeepGo. If you use very little amounts of data or every once in awhile, KeepGo can be cheaper overall.

Top-ups are once a year. Minimum top up is $3 USD for 100MB, 1GB is $24 USD. Data rolls over.

There's a promotion at the moment to get a data SIM card with 3GB of data for $25 USD. Bonus is data can be used abroad.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2042 posts
1444 upvotes
Vancouver
Public Mobile has a 25$ plan with 1GB data. They give data bonuses too, from time to time, and will take of 2$ for activating autopay. So like $23. If you refer, then get further 1$ off

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans ... MB-3Gspeed

Uses the Telus Network, so no problems there
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop