• Jun 26th, 2016 3:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
24 posts
1 upvote
Brampton

Vandalism - What Do I Do?

Hello Everyone,

Not sure who has experience with this... But my car was vandalized the other day and at first I was not sure what to do. The damage looked like it was under $1000 (the amount of my deductible) but after further review I fear it may be more. I did call my insurance and start the claim process, but I am worried that my claim will fall through because I am unaware of who or exactly when it happened... (happened within the past 2 days).

Anybody know what I can expect? Or have any advice.

Regards,
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21677 upvotes
Center of Universe
ChannelleS512 wrote: Hello Everyone,

Not sure who has experience with this... But my car was vandalized the other day and at first I was not sure what to do. The damage looked like it was under $1000 (the amount of my deductible) but after further review I fear it may be more. I did call my insurance and start the claim process, but I am worried that my claim will fall through because I am unaware of who or exactly when it happened... (happened within the past 2 days).

Anybody know what I can expect? Or have any advice.

Regards,
File police report and call your insurer.
It may not be isolated and the PD can provide a case# right away over the phone; if they don't need to come out.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Depending on your policy, your deductible may be dropped if you called your insurance company within 24 hrs of the incident.
As vkizzle said, you should file a police report ASAP. If the police department is too busy, they'll ask you to go to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre.
And try to recall as many details you can (estimated time of incident & location).
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
Additionally to the advice given above, invest in a dash cam which can also operate while the car is off.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9877 posts
9565 upvotes
Markham
What vkizzle said is exactly what you should do. I've never heard of the insurer dropping the deductible, but if they can... sure why not.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Anikiri wrote: What vkizzle said is exactly what you should do. I've never heard of the insurer dropping the deductible, but if they can... sure why not.
A hit-and-run happened to my dad's car, and his insurance company dropped the deductible since he reported within 24 hrs & filed a police report.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
24 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Great info guys

Honda30 How long was the whole process from start to end?
Honda30 wrote: A hit-and-run happened to my dad's car, and his insurance company dropped the deductible since he reported within 24 hrs & filed a police report.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1131 posts
600 upvotes
My car was keyed all around before and I only found out when I brought it to the car wash one night. I filed police report online, got a phone call from them later to confirm some details, then I went through insurance with the report and picked my own shop to get my car repainted. Total insurance claim was ~5000. The body shop offered to take care of my deductible if I went with them =)
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
It took 2 days.
IIRC my dad sent a copy of the Police Report to his Claims Service Rep.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
24 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Honda30 wrote: It took 2 days.
IIRC my dad sent a copy of the Police Report to his Claims Service Rep.
Okay good.

Thanks
Apr 20, 2009
463 posts
162 upvotes
ChannelleS512 wrote: I did call my insurance and start the claim process, but I am worried that my claim will fall through because I am unaware of who or exactly when it happened... (happened within the past 2 days).
As long as you have comprehensive coverage, and the damage does not appear to have been caused by a collision you do not need to know who caused the damage or how they did it.

If you happen to know, that's great. The insurance company may be able to subrogate against the responsible party and recover your deductible, but it's not a requirement for the insurance company to cover the claim.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Honda30 wrote: A hit-and-run happened to my dad's car, and his insurance company dropped the deductible since he reported within 24 hrs & filed a police report.
You say hit and run, was the other driver identified? ie you got a licence plate, vehicle description? My car was hit and run by someone while it was parked and I was inside a store. In the end I got nothing from the insurance company. Since the other driver was not identified, they would not waive deductible.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
For once I'd like to hear a story of someone hitting someone's car by accident, leaving a note and settling the issue amicably. Will that ever happen?
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
notfromqc wrote: You say hit and run, was the other driver identified? ie you got a licence plate, vehicle description? My car was hit and run by someone while it was parked and I was inside a store. In the end I got nothing from the insurance company. Since the other driver was not identified, they would not waive deductible.
A witness noted down the licence plate of the other vehicle, so he was identified. But then later on my dad received a subpoena as the other driver wanted proof despite there being a witness & police report filed against him.
Then, after a few months he accepted fault.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Honda30 wrote: A witness noted down the licence plate of the other vehicle, so he was identified. But then later on my dad received a subpoena as the other driver wanted proof despite there being a witness & police report filed against him.
Then, after a few months he accepted fault.
Consider yourself lucky then, that the witness provided this help.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
We did; my dad bought him lunch as the witness went out of his way to help us.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1101 posts
333 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
The lunch is just a token of appreciation. In my experience most people do not expect payment and will not accept any payment for doing the right thing.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
At first he refused, but later accepted after my dad insisted he get a protein rich post-workout meal.