Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3095 posts
607 upvotes
Aurora, ON

Vanilla bean pods

I'd like to try and make my own vanilla extract with beans and vodka. i also like to make some vanilla paste by grinding up the beans (after a few months in the vodka) with some of the extract and glycerin?

Is $70 a ridiculous price for 10 Madagascar Bourbon beans - should I keep shopping...?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5114 posts
1792 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 1:41 pm
I'd like to try and make my own vanilla extract with beans and vodka. i also like to make some vanilla paste by grinding up the beans (after a few months in the vodka) with some of the extract and glycerin?

Is $70 a ridiculous price for 10 Madagascar Bourbon beans - should I keep shopping...?
We have done this in the past and really liked the results. Does anyone know if these are available at Costco and if so for how much?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4837 posts
4009 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 1:41 pm

I just made a batch of homemade vanilla earlier this year. I searched everywhere for decently priced whole vanilla beans.... the PC Black Label whole vanilla beans from Superstore/Loblaws ended up being the most cost-effective. I think they were $7 for 2 beans.

It's crazy how much they have gone up in price... I got 10 beans from Costco about 5 years ago for ~$20
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5206 posts
2164 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 1:31 pm
I just made a batch of homemade vanilla earlier this year. I searched everywhere for decently priced whole vanilla beans.... the PC Black Label whole vanilla beans from Superstore/Loblaws ended up being the most cost-effective. I think they were $7 for 2 beans.

It's crazy how much they have gone up in price... I got 10 beans from Costco about 5 years ago for ~$20
how much liquid can you extract with 2 beans?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4837 posts
4009 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 4:50 pm
I used 12 beans (6x2) and added it to 1L of bourbon.

You could use as many as 20 beans/L for double-fold vanilla, or go with 10 beans for single-fold
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3095 posts
607 upvotes
Aurora, ON
badOne wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 4:50 pm
I'm going to try this recipe, 1 cup vodka and 8 beans
https://dessertswithbenefits.com/homema ... a-extract/

It's really the paste I want for my ice cream. I'll make the paste after a few months 'soak'. I'd buy the paste since I don't think I need much but I can't find any that doesn't have sugar. In fact all the pastes I've seen are mostly sugar :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5206 posts
2164 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 5:20 pm
I used 12 beans (6x2) and added it to 1L of bourbon.

You could use as many as 20 beans/L for double-fold vanilla, or go with 10 beans for single-fold
$42 + cost of vodka to make your own vanilla?? Is it much cheaper than buying president choice real vanilla?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4837 posts
4009 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 7:05 pm
$42 + cost of vodka to make your own vanilla?? Is it much cheaper than buying president choice real vanilla?
PC vanilla extract is around $120 per litre ($14.99/120ml) at regular price these days.

I got my bottle of bourbon for $15USD in Mexico. I'm planning on getting little bottles and making Christmas gifts out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5773 posts
2365 upvotes
Paste is just scraping the seed and pulp out of the bean, no? I don't think the bean itself is used because it's pretty fibrous. Or at least, eating the pod doesn't seem that luxurious.
May 28, 2012
10275 posts
2429 upvotes
Saskatoon
lecale wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:26 pm
Paste is just scraping the seed and pulp out of the bean, no? I don't think the bean itself is used because it's pretty fibrous. Or at least, eating the pod doesn't seem that luxurious.
The jars of vanilla bean paste is not just the seeds and pulp...it looks like flecks of vanilla beans/seeds suspended in a clear goo (with sugar added). I think there is such thing as a paste that you can buy in a tube which might be a purer form of vanilla (haven't seen it for sale so haven't tried it).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3095 posts
607 upvotes
Aurora, ON
lecale wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:26 pm
The recipe I wanted to try is from the site of the extract ( https://dessertswithbenefits.com/homema ... ean-paste/ )
She is using the entire bean (after soaking) ....I have no idea if this will work or not. It's really the paste I want to try - but not the sugar based ones that are available. I'm open to opinions on the matter :)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2939 posts
763 upvotes
Mississauga
I see no benefit in making this. I have great success with Simply Organic vanilla extract. Nice and thick with no fake aftertaste of the cheap crap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3095 posts
607 upvotes
Aurora, ON
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:47 am
I see no benefit in making this. I have great success with Simply Organic vanilla extract. Nice and thick with no fake aftertaste of the cheap crap.
My go-to extract is the Kirkland brand and it does last a long time. As I said, it's more the paste for. Do you have a source for a non sugar one?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5773 posts
2365 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 8:35 am
The recipe I wanted to try is from the site of the extract ( https://dessertswithbenefits.com/homema ... ean-paste/ )
She is using the entire bean (after soaking) ....I have no idea if this will work or not. It's really the paste I want to try - but not the sugar based ones that are available. I'm open to opinions on the matter :)
I think I would try to scrape the pulp and seeds out of the beans and see how much I got from that - this would be absolute premium paste. Then I would grind up the empty pods with the vanilla separately.

I think this would ensure none of the best part gets wasted in the pulp you are going to discard. You can also check out what you get from the empty pods and see if it is worth messing with them at all. I think grinding everything together makes for more work in straining them when the best part should be easy to separate.