Shopping Discussion

Vanilla Prepaid Visa on Bestbuy.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2016 11:36 am
[OP]
Jun 17, 2016
5 posts

Vanilla Prepaid Visa on Bestbuy.ca?

Can't get these to work. I have 2 $50 cards and am trying to pre-order NHL 17 for PS4. Keeps rejecting them even though they are activated when I bought them and I activated them online so they are ready for online purchases... Help?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
brianr19 wrote: Can't get these to work. I have 2 $50 cards and am trying to pre-order NHL 17 for PS4. Keeps rejecting them even though they are activated when I bought them and I activated them online so they are ready for online purchases... Help?
did you assign a postal code for each card online? Some sites required the postal code.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2016
5 posts
Yes that is what I had to do on Vanilla's site to ready the cards for online purchases. I noticed though during checkout it asks for a 4 digit number but the one on the cards are only 3 digits.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2034 posts
2250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Give them a call through their phone customer service, they may be able to help.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2384 posts
1195 upvotes
London
best buys website wont accpet pre paid or debt cards. if u can add ur on to ur paypal account u could do it that way or go to the store and use the cards to buy a best buy gift card.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
brianr19 wrote: Yes that is what I had to do on Vanilla's site to ready the cards for online purchases. I noticed though during checkout it asks for a 4 digit number but the one on the cards are only 3 digits.
Are you answering my question about assigning a postal code to your card?
[OP]
Jun 17, 2016
5 posts
a_1_a wrote:
brianr19 wrote: Yes that is what I had to do on Vanilla's site to ready the cards for online purchases. I noticed though during checkout it asks for a 4 digit number but the one on the cards are only 3 digits.
Yes.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2016
5 posts
aaron158 wrote: best buys website wont accpet pre paid or debt cards. if u can add ur on to ur paypal account u could do it that way or go to the store and use the cards to buy a best buy gift card.
How do you add the money into paypal account? I do have a paypal. And yes you are correct bestbuy won't accept prepaid debit cards. Your idea to buy best buy gift card is brilliant haha.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
brianr19 wrote:
a_1_a wrote:
Yes.
The website is asking for a 4 digit postal code and your card has a 3 digit postal code? There shouldn't be any postal code on any Vanilla prepaid card. So I don't know where you see the 3 digit postal code on your card.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2384 posts
1195 upvotes
London
u dont add the money to paypal. u add the credit card to paypal like u would any normal cc then select that as the payment method when ur in the paypal checkout.

one other option is if u got to a bb store and go to c/s they can place the order for u and u will pay at the normal store checkout witch does take pre paid cards.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2016
5 posts
aaron158 wrote: u dont add the money to paypal. u add the credit card to paypal like u would any normal cc then select that as the payment method when ur in the paypal checkout.

one other option is if u got to a bb store and go to c/s they can place the order for u and u will pay at the normal store checkout witch does take pre paid cards.
I see. But technically it isn't a credit card.. it's a prepaid card.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2384 posts
1195 upvotes
London
its still a visa though and has a number like any other cc so u can add it to ur paypal account.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
brianr19 wrote:
aaron158 wrote: u dont add the money to paypal. u add the credit card to paypal like u would any normal cc then select that as the payment method when ur in the paypal checkout.

I see. But technically it isn't a credit card.. it's a prepaid card.
I think the correct term is prepaid credit card.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4995 posts
2969 upvotes
Toronto
When I worked retail, our online portal specifically mentioned Vanilla as a brand that it couldn't take. Now obviously our systems are not the same as BestBuy but it can't be a coincidence. They worked through the actual POS though so you might want to try going into a store.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3326 posts
774 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Even if you did get them to work, does bestbuy.ca allow you to use multiple forms of payment? Last time i tried to use one of these prepaid credit cards i had to make sure the one card could cover the full amount of the purchase because you cannot split payment.

Every time i am given one of these things i immediately buy a gift card with it. Even something as simple as buying a gift card from my grocery store just to put it into a form that's easier to use. In the way i view and handle money it makes no difference to me if i use the prepaid card for a video game or if i convert it into groceries and then buy the video game on my normal credit card.