Art and Photography

variations in perspective with smaller sensors.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 12:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
711 upvotes
Waterloo

variations in perspective with smaller sensors.

excuse me if this has been discussed before.

How do you get variations in perspective with smaller sensors( apsc , CX , 4/3 etc )? just using a smaller focus length lens gets expensive + I somehow feel you ( I ) still dont get the satisfactory perspective, Is there some good guidelines? videos? Please feel free to share them.
----
Pay it forward.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4058 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure what you're asking here. Are you looking to get a wide-angle "perspective" without using a wide-angle lens?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4437 posts
2527 upvotes
Are you looking for wide angle perspective without wide angle distortion perhaps?

That would be a rectilinear wide angle lens and ridiculously expensive, however easily corrected in post these days. Even smartphones do it well on the fly!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4058 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, these images illustrate how wide-angle lenses exaggerate apparent distances in the depth axis, while telephoto lenses shrink them. Getting this effect without a wide-angle or telephoto lens requires a lot of Photoshoppery. There are no other tricks to it, AFAIK.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1326 posts
646 upvotes
The 2 examples you gave is what background compression is. In short, only the distance of your camera to the subject affect it.

Say you only have 1 lens, a prime. It's a 35mm equivalent to full frame. You want to have the same compression of 70mm, just move twice further and crop half the dimension of the picture. You'll get the exact same compression BUT it'll be twice as small (or 1/4 the megapixel) and who knows if you can move twice further.

Now if you want to have the same compression as say a 24mm, get the cropping you like on the viewfinder with your 35mm and get closer (twice closer? I'm not certain of 24mm vs 35mm, but I think it's close to that) and do a panoramic until you get the cropping you initially wanted. With Photoshop or Lightroom, it's almost like 1 click and done deal. Again, there's always the possibility of not being able to get closer and if you're taking landscape and there's too much wind, the panoramic might not work. It takes more times. Also, there's chances of messing the whole pictures if you missed a bit of the panoramic and depending of the amounts of pictures, you can end up with a 100+ megapixel picture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
711 upvotes
Waterloo
AncasterRFD wrote: Image isn’t showing but the imgur mp4 works, what is your objective?

To make clown faces or flattering portraits?

What gear do you have?
leaning towards Clown faces is what I am looking for some suggestions on.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13259 posts
7021 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Photoshop > Filter > Lens Correction > Manual > distort in reverse as you please

ImageImage