Expired Hot Deals

[Various Retailers] Gift Card Deals And Discounts (2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 3:00 pm
May 31, 2008
780 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Pascal20 wrote: [Apr 20-Apr 21] - [ Shoppers Drug Mart (ON) ] - Shoppers Drug Mart (Beauty Boutique): Get 15k bonus PC Optimum points when you buy a $150 beautyBOUTIQUE card, or get 10k points when you buy a $100 beautyBOUTIQUE card. 10% PC Optimum points
Note that these are really just Shoppers gift cards; you don't need to use them on beauty items.
i bought one of these cards i think it was back in January and they are very hard to use.
The black strip almost never works, which then requirea a manager override.
You also cant use the card online. Its still a good deal- but i would only get one if you plan on making large purchases to use it up quickly.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16585 posts
3687 upvotes
Toronto
submalst wrote: i bought one of these cards i think it was back in January and they are very hard to use.
You also cant use the card online. Its still a good deal- but i would only get one if you plan on making large purchases to use it up quickly.
Are these not hanging in the gift card mall?
Then they are just like any other gift card sold, the majority still use the black strip technology which needs to be swiped.

Sounds like you had a bad experience with your card but generally, this is the technology stores use. It's certainly the cards Shoppers' has had for about half a decade.

Edit: It is certainly not the best form out there, but it's still very much usable and shouldn't require manager intervention, like you described. Most will not experience that IMO
RedFlagDeals addict
Aug 25, 2006
287 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
submalst wrote: i bought one of these cards i think it was back in January and they are very hard to use.
similar experience. SDM gift cards suck! It worked fine when activate them, but half of the cards can not be read when using them. they have to manually input the gift number every time, and of course 'manager overide' required.
May 2, 2016
82 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
excitenews wrote: similar experience. SDM gift cards suck! It worked fine when activate them, but half of the cards can not be read when using them. they have to manually input the gift number every time, and of course 'manager overide' required.
Same same! Bought $100 Shoppers gc when there was a points promo - every single time checking out, the card couldn't be swiped. From what I remember, the card number is inputted and the balance can be viewed, so they know it's not a blank card. Because they can't deduct the money from the non-working card, they transfer the balance to a new gc, which is successfully swiped. But then the next time I try to use the gc, the same thing happens again. *face palm* So every check out is 10-15 mins, with a growing line behind me -- and the cashier usually ends up calling more staff to come to the front to cash out everyone else. *sighs* At least the cashiers were knowledgeable and knew what to do! Anyways, I was soooooo happy when we finally used up the balance. Never buying another one again, I vowed.
May 31, 2008
780 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote: Are these not hanging in the gift card mall?
Then they are just like any other gift card sold, the majority still use the black strip technology which needs to be swiped.

Sounds like you had a bad experience with your card but generally, this is the technology stores use. It's certainly the cards Shoppers' has had for about half a decade.

Edit: It is certainly not the best form out there, but it's still very much usable and shouldn't require manager intervention, like you described. Most will not experience that IMO
Its the cards and the machine- wont read it.
The manager has to provide the password for the cashier to manually type the card number- which works. But EVERYTIME I use it takes a long time.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16585 posts
3687 upvotes
Toronto
submalst wrote: Its the cards and the machine- wont read it.
The manager has to provide the password for the cashier to manually type the card number- which works. But EVERYTIME I use it takes a long time.
Next time I'm in a store, I'm going to have a look. I've been using Shoppers gift cards for years and have never had any of these issues. Unless this batch of cards is cheaper (because they are Beauty Boutique) you should not be having these issues because again, they should be just like any other restaurant gift card.

Knowing this, I would just protect it even more so. Don't leave it in your wallet, leave it in a case and bring it with you when you're shopping at that store. I don't know, if someone wants the deal, sometimes they have to take a few extra steps.
RedFlagDeals addict
Feb 21, 2009
369 posts
415 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Anyone know what's the smallest denomination non-Shell GC that Shell sells? Thanks!
I believe that's $15 for Starbucks gift card.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
1396 posts
1199 upvotes
GTA
jasmeet|_9sb wrote: I believe that's $15 for Starbucks gift card.
@JonLai yep, Starbucks $15 if you can find, as they sell out quickly ... and not all Shell locations carry them
Sep 16, 2016
500 posts
146 upvotes
Pascal20 wrote: [Apr 20-Apr 21] - [ Shoppers Drug Mart (ON) ] - Shoppers Drug Mart (Beauty Boutique): Get 15k bonus PC Optimum points when you buy a $150 beautyBOUTIQUE card, or get 10k points when you buy a $100 beautyBOUTIQUE card. 10% PC Optimum points
Note that these are really just Shoppers gift cards; you don't need to use them on beauty items.
Thanks for the heads up for shopper gc
Any idea if SDM gonna run the 10% CT gc deal recently?
Oct 9, 2011
899 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
April 18 - April 24 Real Canadian Superstore (ON) : 10% off Google Play gift cards, 10k PCO points for every $50 spent on Roots or Service Inspired restaurant gift cards
Sep 10, 2017
730 posts
235 upvotes
I know this is not the right thread for this question, apologize in advance. cant we use SDM GC for presto reloads? I was at a SDM and they denied to do it. it has worked for me in the past.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1816 posts
891 upvotes
Rogues2017 wrote: I know this is not the right thread for this question, apologize in advance. cant we use SDM GC for presto reloads? I was at a SDM and they denied to do it. it has worked for me in the past.
It is up to each store/cashier to make their own rules. try another store or cashier.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2490 posts
1203 upvotes
Rogues2017 wrote: I know this is not the right thread for this question, apologize in advance. cant we use SDM GC for presto reloads? I was at a SDM and they denied to do it. it has worked for me in the past.
I had the same experience. For the previous promotion, it was reported that the SDM near Union Station allows it. I may try there next time.