Hot Deals

[Various Retailers] Gift Card Deals And Discounts (2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1806 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:23 am
Would you call a PS+ or Xbox Live Subscription card a "Gift Card"? Because that's the equivalent of what the Spotify cards you're buying actually are.

iTunes Cards are actually "Gift Cards" because you just add the money to your account and you can use it for whatever you want (including paying your Apple Music subscription). Playstation Store cards are actually "Gift Cards" in the exact same vein.

Calling a Subscription card a "Gift Card" is incredibly misleading as to its possible use because it literally only does one thing.
It's a gift card because it is a card...that you can give as a gift. =) It also meets the definition as a card with a dollar value to it that I'm sure people would appreciate receiving as a gift. It doesn't matter if it only does one thing.
Apr 11, 2003
630 posts
100 upvotes
Edmonton
chemicalxv wrote:
Would you call a PS+ or Xbox Live Subscription card a "Gift Card"? Because that's the equivalent of what the Spotify cards you're buying actually are.

iTunes Cards are actually "Gift Cards" because you just add the money to your account and you can use it for whatever you want (including paying your Apple Music subscription). Playstation Store cards are actually "Gift Cards" in the exact same vein.

Calling a Subscription card a "Gift Card" is incredibly misleading as to its possible use because it literally only does one thing.
A "Gift Card" only does one thing - it allows you to spend the money to buy things, at the location/store/etc that issued the Gift Card.

A Best Buy Card lets you buy.... things at Best Buy.
A Spotify Card lets you buy... things Spotify sells.

What does Spotify sell, OTHER than monthly subscriptions, that you could possibly be 'misled' to assume the card would be used for?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2113 posts
1566 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
netwise wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:34 am
A "Gift Card" only does one thing - it allows you to spend the money to buy things, at the location/store/etc that issued the Gift Card.

A Best Buy Card lets you buy.... things at Best Buy.
A Spotify Card lets you buy... things Spotify sells.

What does Spotify sell, OTHER than monthly subscriptions, that you could possibly be 'misled' to assume the card would be used for?
Because a "Spotify Card" doesn't even let you buy "things" Spotify sells...it literally lets you buy ONE thing Spotify sells which is the Individual Premium Subscription. You can't use it to pay for a Family Subscription, you can't use it to pay for a discounted Subscription like a Student Subscription. Just that ONE thing.

No one in their right mind would refer to a PS+ Subscription card as a "Gift Card" in conversation.

All I'm saying is it needs to be clear. Just telling someone it's a "Spotify Gift Card" will give them a misleading idea as to its possible uses.
May 17, 2011
140 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote:

i would absolutely call it a gift card, as the purpose is to gift them. What you can purchase with the gift card varies based on what the store/company offers. Anyone buying a spotify or a PS subscription gift card knows exactly what they are buying.
Aug 27, 2007
258 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:44 am
Because a "Spotify Card" doesn't even let you buy "things" Spotify sells...it literally lets you buy ONE thing Spotify sells which is the Individual Premium Subscription. You can't use it to pay for a Family Subscription, you can't use it to pay for a discounted Subscription like a Student Subscription. Just that ONE thing.

No one in their right mind would refer to a PS+ Subscription card as a "Gift Card" in conversation.

All I'm saying is it needs to be clear. Just telling someone it's a "Spotify Gift Card" will give them a misleading idea as to its possible uses.
Smokey6 posted it properly. It IS undeniably a Gift Card.

From Spotify's website...

Gift cards
Give the gift of Spotify Premium to family and friends (or even enemies).

Gift cards are valid for 12 months from date of purchase.
They're not redeemable in conjunction with other discounts or promotions, such as Premium for Family, Premium for Students, or trial offers.
Spotify gift cards can only be redeemed on Spotify accounts registered in the same country where they were purchased.
Other Terms and Conditions may apply.

Now, it may be a pretty crappy gift card to give someone, but it is still a gift card nonetheless.
Feb 11, 2015
155 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mikeymoe wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:09 pm
Gift cards are valid for 12 months from date of purchase.
Is this even legal in Canada? I thought all gift cards have no expiration dates (unless they are promotional and free).
Aug 27, 2007
258 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
nightshademi wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:24 pm
Is this even legal in Canada? I thought all gift cards have no expiration dates (unless they are promotional and free).
Great point!

From Canada.ca website...
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... cards.html
"Gift cards for a specific service - Sometimes gift cards for a specific service may carry an expiry date. For example, a gift card for a haircut may have an expiry date."

I guess the Spotify cards are only for a specific service so they can have them expire.
Like I said in my previous post, it may be a pretty crappy gift card to give someone, but it is still a gift card nonetheless.
Aug 14, 2012
250 posts
167 upvotes
North Vancouver
Who freaking cares if it's a gift card or gift voucher or whatever you want to call it. A discount off regular price is still a discount. Get back on topic.
May 17, 2017
210 posts
444 upvotes
omg who cares...what a pointless conversation...
May 22, 2019
1 posts
6 upvotes
coming up in time for June 28 long weekend, Rexall will give a $25 Cdn Tire gift card when you purchase $300 of Canadian Tire Gift Cards. That's about 8% by my math. I love Cdn Tire gift cards because they don't expire and can be used for merchandise, service or gas. You'll see it in this week's flyer.
May 3, 2008
893 posts
443 upvotes
Markham
slightly off topics but CanTire has raised prem gas spread over regular from 15cents to 18cents, which is an extra $1.5 each tank for me.
Jun 2, 2014
45 posts
39 upvotes
Markham, ON
claudiamosher wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2019 10:10 pm
coming up in time for June 28 long weekend, Rexall will give a $25 Cdn Tire gift card when you purchase $300 of Canadian Tire Gift Cards. That's about 8% by my math. I love Cdn Tire gift cards because they don't expire and can be used for merchandise, service or gas. You'll see it in this week's flyer.
Good for anyone missed the Loblaws deal. But with Loblaws I get 4% cash back using my credit card. Not sure about Rexall
This guy is too lazy to leave a signature.
Jun 2, 2014
45 posts
39 upvotes
Markham, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 8:11 am
slightly off topics but CanTire has raised prem gas spread over regular from 15cents to 18cents, which is an extra $1.5 each tank for me.
If keep raising I’d rather pay at shell with my air miles.
This guy is too lazy to leave a signature.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1626 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 8:11 am

Do you know if anyone has done a table tracking spread from each retailer? esso, ct, shell, costco, petrocan?