• Jan 7th, 2020 11:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2914 posts
1405 upvotes
GTA

Vegetarian breakfast - what to eat?

I’ve been eating Whole grain bread (Dempsters) with natural Peanut butter (no salt / sugar) and Quaker natural oats with milk.

But, my doctor told me both are not good and actually increase blood sugar (I don’t have any sugar issue as per my blood work, but little more cholesterol than recommended limits). He has referred me to a dietitian (Dr Poon), but in the meanwhile, what do you folks eat for breakfast? Especially, Veggie (I’m a vegetarian).
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14958 posts
11406 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Regular hot oatmeal with fresh fruits.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4987 upvotes
Here 'n There
Oatmeal does not increase blood sugar, especially not steel cut oats which have a very low glycemic index. Neither does fresh fruit or peanut butter, if it is natural with no added sugar. Milk does have sugar in it but not much. Neither does whole grain bread.

You need a doctor who actually understands nutrition.

My breakfast is always 2 tablespoons of Bob's Red Mill quick-cooking organic steel cut oats, cooked in filtered water in the microwave then with 1/4 cup of 1% milk added, and topped with 1 cup of berries (mostly blueberries but sometimes also strawberries, blackberries, rasberries, goldenberries, etc) a couple of prunes, and a heaping tablespoon each of 8 kinds of nuts (cashew, brazilnut, pistachio, macadamia, almond, walnut, hazelnut/filbert & pecans) and 9 kinds of seeds (flax, chia, sesame, poppy, caraway, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin), all unground. I also have a cup of filtered coffee with milk but no sugar. I don't add sugar to anything.

Very low glycemic index and no added sugar, but I guess your doc would freak because they have no clue about nutrition.

I tried using fluids like almond or cashew 'milk' instead of real milk in my oatmeal and coffee but I couldn't stand the taste and consistency. Given I only use a bit of milk for breakfast I am not concerned about any of the supposed issues that some promulgate about drinking milk.

I tried being a vegetarian but missed fish, dairy/cheese and the very occasional bit of meat too much. I laugh when I talk to many vegetarians who think it is the panacea but then don't do cardio 3-5x week, don't work out, and have other less than healthy habits. Vegetarianism is also not natural. We evolved over 200,000 years eating meat and fish. That's the reason we have the bodies and brains we have today. We just didn't eat a lot of it like many people to today, some 3 meals a day. The best diet is plant based yes, but not cutting out meat and fish entirely. Think the Mediterranean diet.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Meal 1:
Eggs w/Quinoa (or Kasha)

45g of dried Quinoa or Toasted Buckwheat, cooked
3 eggs (scrambled or over easy)
165g of pressed cottage cheese (1/3 of a 500g package)

Meal 2:
Protein Pancakes

3 eggs
3/4 cup of cottage cheese
1/4 cup of flour
1/8 cup of flax or chia or hemp seed
(mix ingredients together, makes 4 pancakes)
Dec 1, 2018
465 posts
518 upvotes
+1 to Eggs and oatmeal
-Cheeses
-Protein shake with peanus butter

I I usually skip breakfast but I love eggs

Lunch - beans and rice

And moderate veggies consumption
I love chicken once or twice a week
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4403 posts
25939 upvotes
You should double check your bread ingredients as not all bread is created equal. Just because it’s a “grain bread” doesn’t mean it’s always healthy and could spike your blood sugars (carbs=evil). But I do agree with the above and inquire with another doctor or visit a nutritionist who can provide you with recommendations based on your profile.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.